New to me oil consumption - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum > New to me oil consumption

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

New to me oil consumption

Last oil change I put in regular white bottle valvoline. About 3000 miles into the oil change interval I checked the level (usually doesn't use any oil) and it was half full on the dip stick. I had been using Synthetic the previous 80,000 miles with no issues as stated before. I check the pcv valve and it rattles well blew through the hose it was clear and checked the hose running from the top of the valve cover to the air box. Tail pipe was a little sooty but not bad for a vehicle with that many miles. I switched back to synthetic this morning to see if it rectifies the situation. Has anybody have this issue when switching back to conventional after a long synthetic run.

Unread 06-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Yes, I have read about this phenomenon on Bobistheoilguy. It can happen when changing oil type (synthetic vs. conventional, vice-versa) or even when changing brands.

There is no definitive explanation why this sometimes happens. It's all speculation. Many report that after several thousand miles, the consumption returns to normal. Some think that maybe the new oil additive package is "washing away" (lack of a better term) the protective molecules embedded in/on the metal engine parts to be replaced with the new oil's protection additives. Once this is complete, the oil consumption returns to normal.

Opinions abound and mine is that some things go unexplained. You won't know unless you try the conventional oil for a longer period and observe the results. If you visit the site you might find more answers. People don't seem to be too concerned about it. In other instances, sometimes a different oil will clean off deposits on an older engine (ie - seals) and a leak will develop. The leak was bound to happen because the seal was wearing, but people like to blame the oil.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

90% of your synthetic oils are actually not true synthetic,just highly refined conventional oil.You will not have any issues switching back and forth.

Your oil change interval can be a cause of the oil loss.The more miles the more oil a engine will start to use.
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

I'll continue to monitor oil levels. Its a 2011 with roughly 84k on the clock now and I've never had an oil issue before this last oil change.
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
lastontheboat
2013 MK Patriot 

I use conventional motor oil. Found a table spoon of oil under my 2013 Patriot (2.4L 16,000 miles) yesterday (2-28-15). Jeep is currently sitting at the dealership awaiting an oil leak test. Apparently Chrysler says it is acceptable to lose 1 quart every 2 thousand miles. I had no idea that loosing 25% of your oil capacity every 2k miles would be acceptable. I have a 1998 Saturn that doesn't burn a quart every 3K.
lastontheboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

I've changed the pcv valve and switched back to "synthetic" and have lost only a half quart in 6000 miles. I'm now only 750 miles away from reaching 100k. Happy Jeeping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.