New here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New here

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

New here

Hi im new to the forum I have a 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude with the sun and sound package i bought it brand new it has 8500 miles now i meticulously maintain it oil change every 3500 wash and wax at least once a month i hope to eventually get some sort of acceptable gas milage and then possibly duplicolor black chrome all emblems limo tint all the way around and duplicolor black chrom the front chrome grill inserts with a set of black chrome 22's and inside i will be completely be redoing the stereo and hopefully eventually a new exhaust depending in the change it will bring in gas mileage

Ona a seperate not I absolutely despise the CVTII transaxle this is also not 4x4

12compass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My people! +1 for stereo upgrade. That's my priority too. And don't count on the gas mileage to get any better. My '11 has 12,800 on it and it gets about 16 city mpg's.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

On a related note, I'm driving a rental Nissan Sentra in Oregon as we speak that has a CVT that works fine. Not quite as smooth as my pops Maxima, but still head and shoulders above the Patriot.
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

well my gas mileage isnt that horrible lol at least not since reseting my computer by disconnecting the battery i get like 22 in city i think and about 225 miles out of 3/4 of a tank i dont let it go lower than that

and yea i just think the actual powertrain is a poor design and the electrical everything else seems to be pretty solid although some how im constantly tripping the traction control and spinning the tires
Unread 09-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

FujativeOCR you keep forgetting to mention that you have the FD II off-road package. That makes a notable difference as you have discovered.

12compass - to the group. With the FWD I would think you should get better than 22 mpg, my 4WD gets about 23.5. Since you just did the battery trick I'll suggest NOT letting off the gas quickly but ease it down when coming to a stop. These transmissions learn your habits and the deceleration is an issue that many don't like. Many of us do like the CVT but on the other hand I have heard that MOPAR is going to be going back to the more conventional automatics in the future.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Ok yes i have a FD2...but the window sticker still said 20/21/23. So I still don't like the results....
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I got a 12 compass fd2..first two tanks of gas averaging around 22 mpg
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

my last tank of gas i got 26.6 MPG. But i had to really take it easy on the accelerator.
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Mine does 16-17 if it's always under 2,000 rpm. If i go 2500-3000 it drops to 14-15 average
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

As stated before in previous threads, ethanol gas also will hurt your numbers. Unfortunately there are just some states that mandate it (California and Minnesota, for two examples), so you have no choice.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

You know what they ought to do, is change the window stickers on cars sold in such states to reflect the real world gas mileage one can expect, when using the only gas available. I mean ifthey can mandate what kind of gas can be sold, they should be able to mandate anything that uses it. I
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
ramthis426
2005 WK 

I don't really belong hear how do u guys get such bad mpg I get 16 city and 21 highway with my hemi with 31 inch tires I thought the compass was around 25/30 mpg
ramthis426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The Freedom Drive 2 Patriots are geared differently than normal ones. Same CVT but final drive gears are like 8:1 vs 6:1. So these always run at a high rpm, like no overdrive. Window sticker says 20 city 23 highway, but in reality 16 is more realistic. I think we've all traced the cause to ethanol in all California gas is robbing 2-3 mpg. The other 1-3 that takes me to 14/15 maybe the air conditioner? Regardless, it's impossible for mine to get the advertised 20 no matter how I drive it.
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post
I don't really belong hear how do u guys get such bad mpg I get 16 city and 21 highway with my hemi with 31 inch tires I thought the compass was around 25/30 mpg
With non-ethanol gas, my wife's gets 22-22.5 all day long in town. On the highway doing 80, it'll get 23-24. We haven't had a chance to do a long trip at the "ideal" speed yet, 60-65, or even less than 70, where its supposed to approach 26+. I've read about some getting 30+ when on a long 55 MPH drive.

Granted, to reiterate Fujative's comments, these were not the higher geared Freedom Drive II units.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

yea well 22 mpg city is with my always staying under 2200 rpms and mostly under 2000 using crusie control as often as possible not using any a/c and just generally driving as gas saving as i can which i can tell you in reush hour traffic it causes me road rage because not only am i not getting anywhere fast and the florida heat sucks but this thing isnt very effecient especially when idling i was just expecting better gas mileage than this is all especially with a transmission that has a limitless number of ratios had i know how horrible my mileage would be for a sluggish 2.4l 4 cylinder i wouldve bought a wrangler it really frustrates me that i cant get above 20 mpg with the a/c on and yes my gas is 10% ethanol everywhere the other day doing mainly interstate travel i was distraught because in the end i only got 210 out of 3/4 of a tank the worst part is i really want to do a stereo and black 22s on this im just afraid of what exactly that may do to the gas mileage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.