New to the Compass world - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New to the Compass world

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

New to the Compass world

Greetings,

Last week I traded in my '98 Grand Cherokee LTD for a White 2010 Jeep Compass Ltd w/auto trans. I actually like the frog eye look of the earlier version Compass, so went that way instead of going new. It's been fun getting to know this new member of our family. I found it via a buying service via my Credit Union that also gave me a 5 year loan at 1 1/2%. Almost free money for a used car. Cool.

Initial plans
Installing usability upgrades such as adding UConnect ($215) with IPod connector ($32) to compliment my stock 230 head unit, front and rear mud guards ($38 per pair), and Husky rear cargo liner ($62). All ordered today.

I also ordered a new Fram Cool Breeze cabin air filter (as I doubt it's ever been changed) and a K&N drop in Air Filter as have been a long time fan.

I only received one transponder key, but did get one basic key. But it seemed a good idea to have a back up transponder key just in case, so I ordered a blank one ('$48').

Abandoned plan
Being a big fan of over engineering the mechanics I looked into getting the Engine Oil Cooler Kit. But I learned my year came with an auto trans cooler (a good thing) that prevents adding the engine cooler. So much for that idea.

Parts & Service Sources/Resources?
Being a long time car guy (long time passion for Mazda RX7’s and active in that community since there has been RX7’s ), I know there are factory car dealers that leverage into mass car communities such as for Jeeps and provide excellent discounts for stock parts. So surfing around I found a dealer in Arizona that has an internet department providing what seemed pretty darn good prices. I can share their contact information if forum rules allows. I’m interested in learning of other parts sources that can help minimize wallet damage.

To leverage into the wealth of Jeep Compass knowledge on this Forum, I'd appreciate advice for getting the new transponder key programmed/coded would be appreciated so I can avoid dealer damage to my wallet. Same goes for the UConnect once it's installed.

Future plans
My sound system is the basic 4 door speakers set up. So future plans is to upgrade the door speakers, install and wire in aftermarket tweeters in stock location (found mounting brackets offered on EBay) and perhaps a self powered Bazooka tub.

My first request for information
So not to create clutter I'm a big BIG believer in using Forum search engines to surf around for retrofit information before posting questions, but I only found basic discussions on this speaker retrofit. Is a cross over needed for the tweeters, or is there a high frequency output and low frequency output already present on the stock 230 head unit? I'd appreciate any insight from any members that has done this Tweeter/Sub-woofer retrofit.

Best regards to all,

Jon

dahozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

and let me start you off with the Quick List for covering several items and things of interest.

Here is a search that I did on speakers that may list more than you can find as a registered user. It used to be reserved for supporting members but many things have changed and I can't keep up sometimes. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...rchid=16757860

All of our CVT's came with a trans oil cooler but there is an additional one that was made for the 'Tow Package' that uses stock hoses and and a finned oil filter adapter. Info on that is in the Quick Links in the Trailer Towing section, the 5th post down.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I havent dug into it yet, and mine came with the Boston system with basic head unit, but with the boston system, the deck has a digital output and all the sound processing duties are done by the amplifier in the back. So there is no tweeter output persay by the deck but by the amp. With the basic system, I dont know if it still has an external 4 channel amp, or if they moved the processing and amp duties into the deck. Seems like it would be cheaper for them to just have a different amp where the 8 channel boston one is. (by the spare tire)

And dont get bazooka. Thats the easy way out. Get a real sub in a real box at least. Sounds so much better.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

Fujative,

When I get home this evening I'll look to see if there is an amp there. I agree with you that it would make sense, albeit perhaps a lower grade version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
and let me start you off with the Quick List for covering several items and things of interest.

Here is a search that I did on speakers that may list more than you can find as a registered user. It used to be reserved for supporting members but many things have changed and I can't keep up sometimes. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...rchid=16757860

All of our CVT's came with a trans oil cooler but there is an additional one that was made for the 'Tow Package' that uses stock hoses and and a finned oil filter adapter. Info on that is in the Quick Links in the Trailer Towing section, the 5th post down.
Gramps,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the link for the speaker search takes me to a page that indicates " Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Isn't the additional Tow Package cooler for engine oil, not trans oil? Either case, after giving the Parts guy my VIN#, I was advised that the Notes indicate that the additional cooler kit could not be installed in my auto trans Compass. It could be installed otherwise if I was running a manual trans. Looking at the conversation you mention in the Quick Links, it doesn't say specifically but seems to indicate that conversation was built around a manual trans Jeep.

Sidebar, regarding my thoughts of upgrading my sound system. most all the links in the Quick Links section are dead. Alternate location you might suggest for my education?
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

Also, to highlight an otherwise buried separate request for information:

Is there a do it yourself (DIYS) process for programming a replacement key? I Googled up how too conversation if I have two transponders already programmed, but I have one programmed transponder key and one regular key to work with. Searching this forum, I found conversation that WalMart could cut and program a replacement key in the Wrangler section. I'll stop by WalMart this evening and hopefull find out it is true for the Compass as well.

Also is there a DIYS programming process (disc that comes with the kit?) for after I've hard installed the UConnect? Or am I still stuck paying a dealer as some of the older thread I found on this subject indicate? I'm hand with cars, but my experience is low tech pre-OBDII type cars. So I kind of go tilt when presented with muli-letter acronym named tools.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The amp is in the forward right of the spare tire. Really easy to get to. Should be able to see what connections there are. I wouldnt be surprised to find the same amp but programmed differently
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

Nope, nothing there but a couple studs that looks like what the amp would mount too. No wiring harness I could see, unless it's buried under the rear seat area or side panel.

Is there a place where I can access a factory service manual (FSM) online so I can track this out? Asking as I'm aware there are a couple online locations where you can download a PDF version for my other car. So assuming there is a similar resource for my Compass. Since there is very little difference between years, I would assume one from as far back as 2007 would suffice in this case.

Once I get this all figured out, I promise to post up this speaker retrofit info
Unread 10-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Key issue - You HAVE to have two programmed keys to make another (or more). If not then you have to see the dealer and they can program the one that you've bought. Maybe some key shops can but I don't think so.

Speaker section - I was afraid of that! I have no remedy other than for you to become a supporting member.

Oil cooler - the photos on the instalation are my '07 CVT unit. The '08/'09 were the same set up but I just don't know about the '10's. You may want to look on eBay for an FSM or try searching : http://www.scribd.com/

Unread 10-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

EDIT:

Link removed and vagued the description so to stay in bounds.

One of our friends at a web sit dedicated to Jeep Patriots in a "general discussion" provided ability to download a 2008 version of the FSM. If you find the thread, go to post 57. Assuming the differences between years is minimal at worst, should be good enough.

With a little google surfing I'm sure anyone else can find it.

This is a process where you down load the zip file and then burn a CD. The running CD will open an interactive browser (you want it to use IE). It will open a window titled:
2008 Jeep
Compass/Patriot

Service Information

Load the viewer program that page gives link to, and your good. It has both wiring diagrams and service information in a much more high tech presentation than I'm used to. But information is what I wanted, information is what I got.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Posting links to that forum has been determined to constitute advertising for other Jeep forums. It's not allowed but I'll let it stay for 24 hours only.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.