New compass owner with questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New compass owner with questions

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

New compass owner with questions

I just bought the best vehicle I have ever owned, a new Compass 4x4, with the sunroof, boston acustic soundsystem, trailer hitch, roof racks, and lots of other goodies.

I have a few questions:

1) I have a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror, what does it do?

2) My radio says I have a six disc cd changer, where is it?

3) How do you put a cd into the head unit? I tried just pushing it in to no avail, and pushing the load button with no avail? Maybe my radio is messed up as the buttons on the steering wheel don't seem to work either.

It goes back to the dealer on Tuesday to have the rear DVD player installed!

ajadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajadams
I just bought the best vehicle I have ever owned, a new Compass 4x4, with the sunroof, boston acustic soundsystem, trailer hitch, roof racks, and lots of other goodies.

I have a few questions:

1) I have a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror, what does it do?

2) My radio says I have a six disc cd changer, where is it?

3) How do you put a cd into the head unit? I tried just pushing it in to no avail, and pushing the load button with no avail? Maybe my radio is messed up as the buttons on the steering wheel don't seem to work either.

It goes back to the dealer on Tuesday to have the rear DVD player installed!
You sound like me on my first day.

1. I have the Drivers Convenience Group with the auto dimming mirror and mine has two buttons. One turns the little green light on and off (I think it's supposed to cancel the auto dim but I can't tell any difference); the other is for the Uconnect hands free phone, if so equipped.

2. The changer is built into the unit, you have the RAQ radio that also plays mp3 discs.

3. Push the "load" button, select 1-6 of the radio station buttons, wait for the "Load Disc" to appear and start the CD in the slot, it will be drawn in automatically. Load and unload other disc's the same way. page 195 in the Owners manual.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the info.

Mine has one button on the mirror and a green light on either side of it. Only the light to the left of the button has come on.

any idea how much it would cost to add the U-connect feature?
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There are 2 different systems, a factory installed that (i just learned) uses the 2 buttons on the rear view mirror. One button turns it on/off and the other operates "advanced features" like mute?

There is also a Dealer installed unit, part # 82207853AF, that I've seen between $240 - $300.

More info here: http://www.jeep.com/crossbrand/uconn...interface.html

Unread 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Another question about my RAQ radio, is there a plug in to connect it to an iPod, or similar device? I thought I read that there is one, but I have not found it.

Also, I know my version is called a "Compass North" in Canada, is there a "Compass North" badge for the car up there?

I see very few of these cars on the road down here, it's nice to have something different than everyone else.
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Jason31

The options you have sounds like options I do not on my cd player so I cannot help much there. I would think the manual would tell you how to operate the player, if you have it.

I can offer some help with the mirror, if its the same as the auto-dim mirrors that GM uses. The green light would be the auto-dim feature. Because of the technology used to dim the mirror based on the amount of light coming into the sensor, turning the feature on and off will not promote any sort of instant change.

What you can do, while you're driving down a highway at night with traffic behind you, turn the auto-dim off. Within a few seconds you should notice the mirror becoming more like a standard mirror, and the lights behind you will become much brighter. Turn it back on after its finished for the opposite affect. I used to wish I had the auto-dim in this vehicle, but then I had the entire vehicle tinted down to 20% light transmission, and now I could care less.
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Another question about my RAQ radio, is there a plug in to connect it to an iPod, or similar device? I thought I read that there is one, but I have not found it.

Also, I know my version is called a "Compass North" in Canada, is there a "Compass North" badge for the car up there?

I see very few of these cars on the road down here, it's nice to have something different than everyone else.
Only the standard REF radio has the AUX plug-in for an iPod but it does not play Cd's encoded with mp3. There are some some Jeep and aftermarket adapters that you can install if you don't mind pulling your radio. I'll provide some links tomorrow, time permitting.

No "North" badge that I'm aware of, any body have a badge on their "North"? It's really a package and not a model.

Unread 09-24-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's the link for the iPod question:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/jeep-compass-ipod-connection-352115/

Unread 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the tips!

The dealer called me today, my DVD player is in, and I'll go by for the installation on saturday.

Next up is the cargo divider net, splash guards, and the seat covers! The K&N filtercharger set up looks good, but it doesn't say if it is legal in Texas.

Another question: The 4wd lever. The manual says for low speeds. I'm guessing only for speeds under 10 mph and in low traction situations?
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Does this DVD player not use the current radio? just curious.
K&N is Street Legal in Most States (not street legal in CA)
4WD level -go here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/noobish-question-about-patriot-4wd-system-esp-system-423860/

Unread 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

The one we are getting is the dealer instaalled unit that mounts to the headliner. I don't think it uses the radio at all. It comes with wireless headphones.

I already told the dealer that I have two boy and two dogs, so keep a ready supply of replacement headphones in stock.

Last edited by ajadams; 09-24-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #12
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks for the tips!

Another question: The 4wd lever. The manual says for low speeds. I'm guessing only for speeds under 10 mph and in low traction situations?
I dont have the manual handy but I believe its under 55 mph but I may have that mixed up with my cherokee. I also think it cuts out over like 35 on its own and then will go back in under 35. Ill post back when I know more.

from what I understand it just gives more power to the rear tires and keeps it that way as long as the lever is pulled.. Ive heard its both a 40/60 front rear split in 4wd lock but also a 50/50 split. dont know which is correct or even it either of them are. when not in 4wd lock mode it likes to be a front wheel drive and only gives power to the rears via traction control (like when esp kicks in).

cant remember if the esp switch effects (affects? I can never remember which is which) its behavior or not. tap esp once esp does one thing (partial off) - hold it down for 5 seconds or so and it goes fully off and "esp off" pops up in the odometer. full off and 4wd lock is for deep snow or off road from what I can figure out. otherwise in snow or heavy rain etc just yank the lock lever up and leave it there. it will switch in and out of lock mode depending on speed.

I have pulled the 4wd lock lever at 45 mph for fun. only thing that happened was the little light lit up

EDIT: if Im wrong about any of this or anyone knows more about esp and the 4wd lock please chime in. Im interested in knowing what the best combo of esp/4wd lock work best in what conditions.

this is going to be a fun learning experience..

Last edited by CharBroiled; 09-25-2007 at 06:09 AM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
I dont have the manual handy but I believe its under 55 mph but I may have that mixed up with my cherokee. I also think it cuts out over like 35 on its own and then will go back in under 35. Ill post back when I know more.

from what I understand it just gives more power to the rear tires and keeps it that way as long as the lever is pulled.. Ive heard its both a 40/60 front rear split in 4wd lock but also a 50/50 split. dont know which is correct or even it either of them are. when not in 4wd lock mode it likes to be a front wheel drive and only gives power to the rears via traction control (like when esp kicks in).

cant remember if the esp switch effects (affects? I can never remember which is which) its behavior or not. tap esp once esp does one thing (partial off) - hold it down for 5 seconds or so and it goes fully off and "esp off" pops up in the odometer. full off and 4wd lock is for deep snow or off road from what I can figure out. otherwise in snow or heavy rain etc just yank the lock lever up and leave it there. it will switch in and out of lock mode depending on speed.

I have pulled the 4wd lock lever at 45 mph for fun. only thing that happened was the little light lit up

EDIT: if Im wrong about any of this or anyone knows more about esp and the 4wd lock please chime in. Im interested in knowing what the best combo of esp/4wd lock work best in what conditions.

this is going to be a fun learning experience..
I find it easy to just get the Owners Manual online here: http://www.jeep.com/owners/manuals.html

If I've been unclear about the Traction Control System from this post : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423860
please let me know.

Unread 09-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ah thanks gramps!

I have dial up here in the sticks so I dont hit the jeep site, its too loaded with flash animations for me and it takes forever and a week or so to load.. wife has the patriot manual in it at the moment so I cant refer to it. Id love to dl the pdf manual so I can search via computer but in firefox the site that allows downloading the manuals didnt work for me.

I figure the best way to see how all this newfangled computer controlled traction 4wd stuff works is to play in the snow once it gets here and where I live it comes on strong so Ill have plenty to find out come winter

for reference: my patriot has FD I and the gear shift only has "D" and "L" selections. it doesnt say "off road" next to "L" either. wish I had autostick though.. looks like fun.
Unread 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The OFF-ROAD is only on the FD II. The AutoStik was an option on the '07 Compass only but it looks like it's going to be standard on ALL MK CVT's for '08.
I sent you a pm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.