New Compass Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New Compass Owner

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
ThirteenGreen
2008 MK Compass 

New Compass Owner

Hello everyone. I am a proud owner of a new 2008 Compass North Edition. My wife and I recently switched over from an 05 Matrix as we wanted a bit more room but didn't want to give up the gas mileage.

We have had it for about a week and are loving it. I do have one question though and I have searched the forums and can't seem to find a thread about it. I noticed that my compass does not have the plastic engine cover on it. It is a 2.0 L CVT automatic. I talked to the dealer and he said some have it, some don't and that the Caliber is the same....anyone know if this is true?

ThirteenGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

From what I've heard on both the Compass and Patriot the 2.0 does NOT have the top cover.

Congrats on your purchace and welcome to the forum!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Hello new owner, hope you enjoy your Compass, I didn`t the one I had. I had an 08 with a 5 speed and disliked it to the point that after 3 months I traded it for a Patriot. The Compass handled horribly, it wanted to change lanes if you encountered any bumps in the road at highway speeds (55 - 65). Diliked the Firestone tires it came with (for many reasons) to the point that after 3 weeks, I upgraded to Michelin Hydro-edges. The dealer was good in that respect, he gave me $200 credit on the stones & monted / balanced & installed the Michelin`s free. They made a big difference in the handling & the ride but not enough to want to keep it, it was still very road noisy among other things. I also discovered that diving a stick was not as fun as it used to be when I was younger & it did not shift as smoothly as other vehicles I have driven with standards. The Patriot is everything the Compass is not, completely different ride & handling, enjoyable to drive, love it very much.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Auotcar...like you I went back to an manual after 13 years with a Auto...and like you, for a couple months I thought I had made a mistake. The transition back to the clutch was shaky for awhile, but now (owned my Compass for about 8 months) I really like shifting and drving again.
And my 2008 Compass handles, drives and rides great...in ain't no BEAMER, but has a much better ride that my friend's Honda CRV, IMHO
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Trek620
2008 MK Patriot 

No cover

Our 2007 2.0 Caliber 5 speed does not have the top cover. Also checked out a neighbor's, no cover either. But our 2.4 Patriot does have it. 5 speeds in both, we enjoy them very much.
Trek620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar View Post
Hello new owner, hope you enjoy your Compass, I didn`t the one I had. I had an 08 with a 5 speed and disliked it to the point that after 3 months I traded it for a Patriot. The Compass handled horribly, it wanted to change lanes if you encountered any bumps in the road at highway speeds (55 - 65). Diliked the Firestone tires it came with (for many reasons) to the point that after 3 weeks, I upgraded to Michelin Hydro-edges. The dealer was good in that respect, he gave me $200 credit on the stones & monted / balanced & installed the Michelin`s free. They made a big difference in the handling & the ride but not enough to want to keep it, it was still very road noisy among other things. I also discovered that diving a stick was not as fun as it used to be when I was younger & it did not shift as smoothly as other vehicles I have driven with standards. The Patriot is everything the Compass is not, completely different ride & handling, enjoyable to drive, love it very much.
I'm surprised that you noticed so much difference in the two vehicles, after all they are basically the same vehicle. (engine, tranny, frame and probably most components) I suspect you got a Compass that was built on a Friday or maybe a Monday. I took both out for test drives and I liked the Compass better. They both drove the same, I just liked the Compass looks better.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
I'm surprised that you noticed so much difference in the two vehicles, after all they are basically the same vehicle. (engine, tranny, frame and probably most components) I suspect you got a Compass that was built on a Friday or maybe a Monday. I took both out for test drives and I liked the Compass better. They both drove the same, I just liked the Compass looks better.
I too, liked the Compass`s looks & did drive it around the area before deciding on it. It was not until I started driving it on highways I discovered the poor ride, noisy ride & lousy handling. All of the reviews that I read (after the fact)said exactly what I mentioned in my remarks, that the Patriot is everything the Compass is not. The Patriot dealer told me that yes the components are basically identical but that there is a big difference between them in the ride & handling & that I was not the first Compass owner to trade it in for a Patriot. Wish I had decided on the Patriot first.
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar View Post
This makes no sense to me. I test drove both vehicles countless times. They're identical to each other with the exception of styling, and the 'Riot having the option for FDII. I even threw both vehicles through a ton of snow during my test driving and still no difference. We went for the Compass because the wife and I liked the styling more.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
This makes no sense to me. I test drove both vehicles countless times. They're identical to each other with the exception of styling, and the 'Riot having the option for FDII. I even threw both vehicles through a ton of snow during my test driving and still no difference. We went for the Compass because the wife and I liked the styling more.
What makes no sense to you. I simply informed you of my experiences with both the Compass & the Patriot. Perhaps the Compass I had was a lemon & others are okay. Maybe people are just used to that type of handling & ride characteristics, I was not & could not and did something about it. I also stand by what I said, the Patriot is different& is everyhting the Compass is not. Read the reviews & you will see how many experts have said the exact same thing about the 2 vehicles. I sincerely hope you enjoy your Compass.
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Between the different combinations of Compass, Patriot, Sport, Limited, FD II, FWD, 4WD and maybe even the 2.0, 2.4, and Diesel engines there are 4 different shocks and 8 different springs for the front and 4 different shocks and 3 different springs on the rear. Some will be more pleasing to some than others.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.