New 2014 Patriot Sport - Tire Recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New 2014 Patriot Sport - Tire Recommendations?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
perfectmint
2014 MK Patriot 

New 2014 Patriot Sport - Tire Recommendations?

Hey All!

Just bought a new 2014 Patriot sport 2.4L

I currently have the stock Goodyear LS2's, heard that they were horrid in just about every condition.

I was wondering if it would make sense to get 17 inch tires and if so could i get those tires without having to lift the patriot? Also what brands would be recommended as an all season solution.

Any input is helpful, thanks!

perfectmint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

I assume that you have the stock 205/70-16 tires. I also read that they are not very good tires, but they have done fine in one of the worst winters I have seen in Michigan in decades, so I am not sure why people don't like them. Maybe they are noisy, but I won't know until I have another set put on. With the Patriot being a noisy vehicle to start with, it's hard to judge the tires.

There are very few tires of this size available. Over at Tire Rack the stock size tire that has really caught my eye is the new General Altimax RT43. It is relatively inexpensive and if you search the site, it is getting rave reviews in all aspects (wet and snow, etc.).

The Firestone LE2 also gets great reviews, but you will have to go to a slightly different non-stock size.

Better recommendations can be made if you give us an idea of what kind of driving you anticipate doing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=178
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you can go up to 225/70-16 with no rubbing or issues. I start looking in that size.

Tire rack has
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
and
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Both a solid tire choice.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
you can go up to 225/70-16 with no rubbing or issues. I start looking in that size.

Tire rack has
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
and
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Both a solid tire choice.
^This, you can also get the General Grabbber A/T2 in 215/70-16 (slightly narrower than 225/70-16) which is also a great tire.

I wouldn't recommend 17" wheels, those will limit your tire options (at lest in terms of A/T tires) and the narrower side-walls will be more vulnerable to damage (to both the tires and wheels).

Going to a 15" wheel (I believe you can fit a 15" wheel on the Patriot and still clear the brakes) will give you lots of tire (A/T and M/T) options.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

I also have the "crappy" stock tires on my 2014 patriot. We got 16 inches of snow here two weeks ago and they did just fine. Try them in bad weather and see how you like them.

I plan on just running these until hey wear out, then replace with something that looks better.
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
perfectmint
2014 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the replies everyon! Yeah my current tire size are the OEM 205/70-16 tires. The day i got it i actually looked at tirerack.com and was pretty impressed with the General Altimax ones.

Is there anything extra i would have to do with the jeep if i went to a 17 inch tire?

I live in a very hilly area of the Pocono Mountains, so the driving i do is mostly uphill with potholes galore and snow 4 months out of the year.
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
perfectmint
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUparrothead View Post
I also have the "crappy" stock tires on my 2014 patriot. We got 16 inches of snow here two weeks ago and they did just fine. Try them in bad weather and see how you like them.

I plan on just running these until hey wear out, then replace with something that looks better.
Yeah it did really great in the snow, had 16 inches here in NE PA and it powered through like a champ... absolutely no issues with the 4 wheel lock. The tires seem to be fine traction wise... i just keep hearing that the life of the tire is horrid...
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectmint View Post
Is there anything extra i would have to do with the jeep if i went to a 17 inch tire?
I believe you mean a 17" wheels (only tiny sub-compacts have 17" tires). All you would need is a new set of compatible wheels, 17" wheels were offered as a factory option on the Patriot ("Tire and Wheel group"), if you want OE 17" wheels you can probably find some on Ebay/Craigslst or at a Junk Yard (though there aren't likely to be too many Patriots in the Junk Yard since they are relatively new), or there are many aftermarket options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectmint View Post
The day i got it i actually looked at tirerack.com and was pretty impressed with the General Altimax ones.
The General Altimax are excellent winter tires, but be aware that they are WINTER tires and you will need to have a second set of all-season/all-terrain/summer tires for the rest of the year. Winter tires are made of a very soft tread compound which while excellent in snow/ice will feel like driving on marshmallows on a 90 degree day and the tread will practically melt off driving at highway speeds on a hot day. Also if you decide to get them studded they are only legal in PA between November 1st and April 15th.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
rick979tx
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
you can go up to 225/70-16 with no rubbing or issues. I start looking in that size. Tire rack has BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO and Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S Both a solid tire choice.
I just got my 2012 4x4 patriot today it has 34K on the stock 205/70 16 Goodyears. Drove 80 miles home on them and ran into a bad storm on the way home they did ok for being half gone. I'm looking into 225/70-16 Firestone LE 2s I think this will be my best all around for here in central Tx. So with this tire coming in at 28.4" tall and 8.9" wide @ aroundcircles due they rub at all at full lock going over potholes or off road? I don't want to modify the pinch weld unless I have to. Thank you for your help.
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
Subie-Jeep
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick979tx View Post
I just got my 2012 4x4 patriot today it has 34K on the stock 205/70 16 Goodyears. Drove 80 miles home on them and ran into a bad storm on the way home they did ok for being half gone. I'm looking into 225/70-16 Firestone LE 2s I think this will be my best all around for here in central Tx. So with this tire coming in at 28.4" tall and 8.9" wide @ aroundcircles due they rub at all at full lock going over potholes or off road? I don't want to modify the pinch weld unless I have to. Thank you for your help.
i just put a set that size on this week and no rubbing yet,you should be ok.
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS w/ too much to list here
1994 Toyota 4Runner-I couldn't destroy it but the rust was making good progress-Traded in.
Subie-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
rick979tx
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie-Jeep
Thanks for the reply do you have stock 16" rims any pictures of it with them on what tire brand did you go with?
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Subie-Jeep
2014 MK Patriot 

i had 17s stock so i went aftermarket for the 16s. they are 16x7 40mm offset vs the stock 16x6.5 39mm offset,so mine sit 1mm closer to the struts than yours will.

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS w/ too much to list here
1994 Toyota 4Runner-I couldn't destroy it but the rust was making good progress-Traded in.
Subie-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
rick979tx
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
i had 17s stock so i went aftermarket for the 16s. they are 16x7 40mm offset vs the stock 16x6.5 39mm offset,so mine sit 1mm closer to the struts than yours will.
Looks freaking great! Really dig the color of your wheels! Great pic! Appreciate the info!
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
rick979tx
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Well ended up going with 215/70 Hercules terra trac AT IIs getting them put on tomorrow will post pic ended up using this size hoping not to Not get any loss or very little loss of Mpg really liked the Tuff Wheels they had there may be what I get next? 2012 Jeep Patriot FDI
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
rick979tx
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Got my new rubber today. Can't post pics for some reason so here is a link sort of lol

http://collegestation.craigslist.org...415691160.html

2012 Jeep Patriot FDI

Tags
patriot , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.