Need some info, thinking about a Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Need some info, thinking about a Patriot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
DucTrip9s

Need some info, thinking about a Patriot

I'm hoping to get some helpful advice. I looking into purchasing a small SUV. Looking at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4 and the Patriot. I really like the looks of the Patriot and the fact it's made by Jeep. Wondering if any Patriot owners looked at the CRV or Rav4 before purchasing their Patriot? If so, what were your impressions of the vehicles and what were the deciding factors that made you go with the Patriot?

Also, since the Patriot is a new vehicle, did anybody find much wiggle room in the price or are they pretty much going at sticker value ?

thanks for your time,
Hopper

DucTrip9s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

My Wife drove the Rav4 while her new compass was in the shop getting the "Northwest package" (Northwest package is a dealer option where they fill your air bags with fresh aspen air instead of gravel and a speical coating the protect you from rickets just kidding its scotch guarding and detailing) anyways while I openly admit my little women has a HUGE right foot she gets 30mpg on her COmpass and only got 16 on the rav4 compass and patriot have same engine.

Hope that helps.
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucTrip9s
I'm hoping to get some helpful advice. I looking into purchasing a small SUV. Looking at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4 and the Patriot. I really like the looks of the Patriot and the fact it's made by Jeep. Wondering if any Patriot owners looked at the CRV or Rav4 before purchasing their Patriot? If so, what were your impressions of the vehicles and what were the deciding factors that made you go with the Patriot?

Also, since the Patriot is a new vehicle, did anybody find much wiggle room in the price or are they pretty much going at sticker value ?

thanks for your time,
Hopper
I looked at the the RAV4 and Element before settling on a Patriot. The RAV4 and Element rode like an SUV on the highway. The Patriot drives like a car on the highway, and yet can be aggressive off-road. Seating comfort is superior in the Patriot. I knew that I wanted a vehicle that could be a used as a highway cruiser, so I bought my Patriot with the FDI CVT. Cargo capacity of the Patriot is just insane.

But there is a lot of subjectivity involved so you need to personally check all that you are interested in...there are no shortcuts.

I managed to get my Patriot for $375 over dealer invoice by going through a group purchase program (I used Costco's plan). Generally speaking though, how much you can work a deal is highly dependent upon the area of the country that you are in.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

I looked at and test-drove the CRV and the Rav-4 V6, before factory-ordering a Compass Sport 4x4, 5speed which I've had since January.
I thought the rav4 felt "heavy" and cumbersome compared to the compass, even with the V6, 270hp engine, and the honda was a bit underpowered ,with more emphasis on looks than performance.
Price was a factor: I paid under 20k (100$ over invoice, +750 $factory cash back) with power package, AC, sunroof, allterrain tires. Both toyota and honda would have cost several thousands more, similarly equipped.
The availability of a manual transmission was a big factor for me: honda and toyota don't have them ( Motortrend called it "perhaps the best stick shift in a sport/utility" Sept.06). Finally brand loyalty and exterior design preference played a role. My last car was a 98 Wrangler that did well by me, and I do prefer European design rip-offs (BMW X3, Volvo) to bland Japanese uniformity.
What else?- I love the compass. The handling, smooth engine, great manual tranny, very decent acceleration (assisted by K&N air intake), terrific stock radio.. I'm having fun every time I get behind the wheel.

I assume the patriot is essentially the same vehicle with different sheet metal and more interior room.
So there

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4

Last edited by steel5blue; 06-28-2007 at 11:45 PM..
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
djp_63

I didn't drive a Rav4 because it was out of my price range and I don't like the looks of it. I did test drive a CRV. I thought it looked okay on the outside and should have good reliability and re-sale. However, after looking at the inside, I nearly skipped the test drive. But I did drive it and was pretty under-whelmed. It was slow and numb with very mini-van ergonomics and interior and a few thousand dollars more than the Patriot I bought. The biggest negative I see with the Jeep is its unproven CVT and long-term reliability.
djp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
danbo

The Patriot I test drove did have more power than the Honda CRV as others have said. But I still haven't convinced myself to purchase. The Patriot looks so offsized that I haven't been able to get over it. Seeing it in parking lots makes me wonder why Jeep didn't give it either a little more height or width to help make it ilook a little more rugged. My biggest turn off to it is the rear door. When opened I really feel like I am looking in my friends Subaru Forrester and not a truck.
danbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.