Need Patriot General info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Need Patriot General info

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
Jeep'nFun

Need Patriot General info

Hello everyone, and yes, I'm new to this site.

I was looking for some feedback on the new Patriot.

I currently drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with a Hemi, and I'm looking to downsize and looking for better fuel economy. My first inkling was to go trade it in on a Grand Cherokee, and that would atleast downsize it. I used to own a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition, along with an '01 Wrangler Sport. I have always had good luck and great times with my Jeeps, so I want to come back.

Playing around on Jeep's website, I ran acroos this Patriot. Looks similar to a Grand Cherokee, a little smaller, but tons better on the fuel economy. So, I'm thinking this vehicle could save me hundreds of dollars on gas every month. I currently average 13-15 mpg's in the Ram, closer to 17-18 on the highway.

My concerns are that the interior looks pretty cheap compared to my truck's or a Grand Cherokee. And, it just doesn't look very comfy in the long haul. I'm also a little worried about the 4-cyl motor. I know I'm coming down from a 5.7l V-8 Hemi, but does this motor have any pull to it? Have any of you ever complained about the motor? I don't haul anything around, but I do have a small trailer that I tow.

Anyway, any thoughts or anything would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Jeep'nFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

It would probably be pretty tough from a power standpoint to go from a hemi to a 4 banger. I would probably go with a 5 speed patriot if you end up doing it, that way you can control the power a little bit more. I dont think the interiors are cheap and I tend to be a little more rough on things than the average person.
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
merlinTec

Go for the diesel a bit better them the petrol.
Unread 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
hunter44102

Merlin - There are no Diesel Patriot's available in the US.. for those of you in the UK, all I can say is "Lucky!".

The Patriot is a great commuter car and I think it has plenty of power, but sometimes when you are hitting a lot of hills, you may hear the "Lawn mower" roar when it goes to high RPM's to speed up.

But for most driving its pretty quiet and well worth the Mileage savings.

I think the 5 speed has a quicker 0-60mph and gets about 2-3 more MPG as well.

I have the CVT (automatic) w/4x4 and I've been very happy with it.

I also have a 2000 TJ Wrangler with Manual and 4.0 and it has slightly more power, but I'd take the 25mpg vs. 17mpg any day! I spend 40% less on gas every month when I drive the Patriot.

I have the Limited version w/Leather/Vinyl interior and its not bad at all.
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
merlinTec

Sorry didn't know. then I would hold on, They will make them soon as they did with the KJ and WK.
Unread 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

It's definately a perfect commuter Jeep!

The gas mileage is pleasing, but it feels a lot more solid than most 4 cyls. I'm rather impressed with the build quality compared to a lot of other chrysler products as of late.

As for the interior... it doesnt hold a candle to the grand cherokee. But then again, the GC has twice the sticker price. I'm impressed with the leather/vinyl seats and their comfort. The interior is a lot roomier than it looks, especially in the rear. The plastic seems cheesy at first, but I think it has a nice "rugged" feel to it and I'm a fan. As said before, you'll feel a major difference stepping down from the hemi, but I think it'll be a good difference!
Gaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

I've seen a lot of comments regarding the "cheap looking Plastic components" on the Compass and Patriot interior. I think it looks just fine and cleans up easily.... The construction and material being used is very similar to the Dodge Dakota I drove formerly, and its interior still looked good after 15 years of abuse.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
TheTick
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just bought the "trail rated" (cvt, 4x4, etc) 07 Patriot and love it. You WILL notice a big power difference from a HEMI, but the gas savings will make you smile. I just finished my first full tank and was spot on at 25mpg even with the bigger transfer case. The Patriot reminds me a lot of one of my old Cherokee's, only a lot more roomy inside.

Of course, now that I have it and like it, I wanna lift it! Any lifts for Patriots out there yet?
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A "bigger transfer case" is a good analogy but the reality is that there is no conventional "transfer case", it's different final drive, etc for the CVT2L and an electronic coupling for the 4WD.

Keep us updated on your FD II, please!

We're all still waiting for lift kits of some kind.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'nFun
Hello everyone, and yes, I'm new to this site.

I was looking for some feedback on the new Patriot.

I currently drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with a Hemi, and I'm looking to downsize and looking for better fuel economy. My first inkling was to go trade it in on a Grand Cherokee, and that would atleast downsize it. I used to own a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition, along with an '01 Wrangler Sport. I have always had good luck and great times with my Jeeps, so I want to come back.

Playing around on Jeep's website, I ran acroos this Patriot. Looks similar to a Grand Cherokee, a little smaller, but tons better on the fuel economy. So, I'm thinking this vehicle could save me hundreds of dollars on gas every month. I currently average 13-15 mpg's in the Ram, closer to 17-18 on the highway.

My concerns are that the interior looks pretty cheap compared to my truck's or a Grand Cherokee. And, it just doesn't look very comfy in the long haul. I'm also a little worried about the 4-cyl motor. I know I'm coming down from a 5.7l V-8 Hemi, but does this motor have any pull to it? Have any of you ever complained about the motor? I don't haul anything around, but I do have a small trailer that I tow.

Anyway, any thoughts or anything would be helpful.

Thanks!!
You could also check on the Grand Cherokee CRD. It uses a 3.0L CRD Mercedes engine and is available in the states. Everytime I look at a Patriot, I kind of wish I'd gotten one instead of my Caliber, but then again everytime I see a caliber I'm glad I got one of them instead. Weird?
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

Hello Jeep'n'Fun,

Greetings from another Palmetto stater.

I have put together a basic site with a bunch of Patriot info I have collected.

http://www.nearlynormal.biz/jeep/patriot_info.html

There are quite a few reviews and videos that may help answer some questions.

Quote:
I currently average 13-15 mpg's in the Ram, closer to 17-18 on the highway.
So far I have averaged 22.5 in the Patriot. But that has been 99% stop and go in 88 degree plus heat. And I still have not cracked 1k miles so I am deep into break in period still.

Quote:
My concerns are that the interior looks pretty cheap compared to my truck's or a Grand Cherokee.
It's not the ritz. Pretty no nonsense. But I do LOVE the 'Leather' seats. VERY comfortable and supportative and actually seem a little out of place compared to the rest of the interior. It's not horrible tho. Adding the Navigation unit kinda classes it up a bit.

Quote:
And, it just doesn't look very comfy in the long haul.
That one I will have to say I think you may be wrong. So far the time I have spent inside it have been VERY comfortable. (See above notes about seats). Being able to raise and lower the driver's seat really helps also. I do wish the steering wheel was telescopic tho.

Quote:
I know I'm coming down from a 5.7l V-8 Hemi,
Sorry gotta chuckle a little.. Coming down from that monster, we could tie 2 Patriots together and you would still be uinderpowered...
But I have read about guys pulling pretty decent boats(16' fiberglass with another 1000lbs of gear in it) and some folks suprising themselves with the off road ability.

grab a test drive and especially see if a dealer will let you take it home overnight or for the weekend.

Good Luck,
Jim
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Same seating comfort in the Compass so I'll offer this nearly 4K mile round trip opinion - VERY COMFORTABLE. Much better than most cross country trips that I've done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=28

Compass Limited, Adj Lumbar support, Leather seats, Adj seat height, A/C and Cruise Control. A great highway cruiser!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
karfana
2007 MK Patriot 

Hi. Like everyone else said, go for the 5 speed...when we test drove the automatic, the salesman just gave us the key & said have fun, so of course my boyfriend was gunning it getting on the highway & I knew then & there I was getting the 5 speed. I just traded in a Rav 4, for the Patriot & the Patriot is defintley peppier (& I don't feel like I am giving my passangers wip lash when the AC is on!), but you are going to notice a HUGE difference coming from a Hemi!
The one we test drove was fully loaded & it was pretty nice inside, I didn't think it was cheezy...the one I got has cloth interior & I don't think it's cheezy!
As far as comfort & interior room...what other SUV's were you considering? The Patriot is roomy...my boyfrined is a big guy, we drove to Flordia (from NJ) 2 times in the Rav 4 & he was so uncomfortable he wanted to murder me but I'm sure he will be MUCH happier & more comfortable in the Patriot!
I don't know if it is even possible, but if it is, why don't you see if you can rent a Patriot for a few days & see what you think?
karfana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
jdaddy42
2008 MK Patriot 

I have an 08 Patriot with the 2.4 setup. The engine has power but don't try to win any races. Don't really think it is suited for four wheel setup. Possibly not quite enough power there. Considering that the 2.4 only puts out 172 HP and who knows what actually gets to the wheels. This decision would have to be your own, deciding on what your driving habits and history is like. Me personally. I wouldn't go for the 4WD setup. I would need way more power. After all you get into a ditch you would at least like to be able to get out of it. LOL
jdaddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

jdaddy42, my Compass 4X4 has been pulling me outta ditches (and swampy two-trackers) for three years. Yeah, I'll admit it still seems underpowered but I believe no other 4-banger 4X4 (other than the Pat) can out perform it unless SERIOUSLY modified. If they're going to do any light offroading, I suggest the regular four wheel system. Anything more then go with the trail rated unit. If jeep'nfun just commutes then the two wheeler will be perfect. As to the interior, while is comes off as cheep at first glance (though the newer interiors are more refined), I find it rather rugged looking in the traditional Jeep fashion, and pretty durable.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , mk , opinion , patriot

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.