need info on the 2.4 engine for patriot - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > need info on the 2.4 engine for patriot

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Wife and I love our cherokee. Bought new in 94 but now has 245,000 on it. We are seriously looking at a 2.4 FWD patriot. Anyone had four adults in theirs with maybe some luggage in the back? Does it still do decent on the highway or does it task the engine quite a bit, especially on an uphill?

We've done two person road trips up to Cleveland and back from Pittsburgh loaded with luggage and we averaged about 27mpg with the AWD version of the Compass Limited with the 2.4. We were able to roll at between 70-75mph without taxing the engine much at all. With the cruise control engaged it ran very smoothly.

We're going to be giving it a real test in mid August when we make our yearly pilgrimage to the Outer Banks of North Carolina with 5 people in it. I do know that I'm going to have to get a set of sport bars and some type of carrier for the roof because there wont be enough room for luggage in the back and still allow for any type of vision out the rear window. I know that will have an effect on the aerodynamics of the Jeep, but I have no idea how much overall yet.

Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #17
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Anudder question on the Patriot for previous Cherokee owners. Do you find the rear doors easier to get in and out of on the Patriot verses the Cherokee? That was a REAL issue for the Cherokee for "larger" adults. And, does the Patriot seat 3 in the back any better than the Cherokee?
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

i guess it will depend on how large the adults are.....i was very supprised at the room the pat has...i tried the nitro and to get into the drivers i had to touch my ear to shoulder to get my head in....nonsense.
roland365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We made a 6 hour trip to Gettysburg and back with 4 of us my 6'3" father in law in the back seat and he was comfortable the whole way. We averaged about 25 mpg with it loaded down.

And Douglas the Patriot is much easier to get in the back than the XJ. Can't say about 3 in the back but 2 and the kids car seat works well.
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #20
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland365 View Post
i guess it will depend on how large the adults are.....i was very supprised at the room the pat has...i tried the nitro and to get into the drivers i had to touch my ear to shoulder to get my head in....nonsense.
Agreed on the Nitro. Wife and I (I'm 5'7" and she 5'2") compared Patriot and Nitro side by side. Patriot was much easier for us to get in and out of, especially the back. She even had a bit of trouble getting in the back of the Nitro. Forget the Nitro!
Hey, everyone. Thanks. Becoming more and more sold on the Patriot. I do wish they would have spent a bit more time designing the front end, though. I think they could have done a better job 'cuz to me it seems "bulky" in comparison to the rest of the vehicle. Maybe they could have made it a bit more "cherokee" looking.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Trek620
2008 MK Patriot 

Get a 5 speed, all CVT concerns eliminated! I'm very happy with my 5 speed. Power and mileage very good.
Trek620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

i can drive standard but hate it....especially around the city. so i really want a automatic.....just didnt know the benefits/cons of the cvt tranny
Unread 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #23
Jeepinz
1994 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Compass & Patriot test drives...

Roland,

Realize Jeep offers 4 different trannys for the Compass/Patriots.

1. A 5-Speed manual transmission
2. A CVT transmission
3. A CVT w/ Autostick +/- capability (on Limiteds typically)
4. A CVT transmission w/ low range (Off-Road version)

The 2.4L is now standard with the 2.0L you drove being optional.
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The CVT without AutoSick was only available in '07 and on the Crawl Ratio. In '08 AutoStick was standard on all FWD's and FD I's.

Just like when they introduced the first "modern day" Automatics back in the '60's people had to get used to them. I think of it as coming off the line at the drags and slipping the clutch, lots of RPM's but not going very fast yet. Don't worry about over revving these things, the electronic controls won't let you. Get the RPM's up and the CVT will find the right gear ratio for the speed and then you can barely feel the shift. It's oh, so smooth and don't forget to check the speedometer or you're libel to get a speeding ticket. After you get used to it then you can try for mileage improvements, it doesn't take long.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
Jeepinz
1994 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep MK's transmission discussion...

Interesting!

Learning more and more from Gramps Encyclopedia all the time!
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
farmrt88

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland365 View Post
i agree im not to much intrested in 0-60, just in the way it seems it struggles on entrance ramps, passing. i really like the patriot....i think with the mpg and room that it has ill be happy with it. i have a 90 eddie bauer Bronco and its killing me...my gf has a 01 ford zx2 which is standard and i dont like driving it....to small and lazy for stick. i think it will be a wise choice...just hate reading all the negative feedback on the car reviews all over the net...it gets me second guessing....
I am storing a 1990 5.0 4wd Eddie Bauer Bronco, and I am very happy after putting 22,000 miles on my 2007 Patriot. I doubled my overall gas mileage (13mpg to 26mpg), and I still have 4wd! The CVT trans is great once you are used to it. Its very smooth, and suprisingly quick once you learn how it reacts to the accelerator pedal. The 4wd requires no input, unless you want to lock it for under 10mph, thats a lot better than the manual lock hubs on the Bronco, so overall, I feel a lot better driving in Michigan winters. I still have a great view of the road, and a comfortable ride with a lot of room being 6'5". The only thing I miss is the torque of a V-8, and the trans kicking down when flooring it If you are driving a Patriot, don't floor it, gradually accelerate at first, and then punch it - you will get on the highway ramps fine. Overall, the Patriot is plenty powerful, and fun to drive. Since I have the same former vehicle, feel free to ask any other questions
farmrt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #27
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrt88 View Post
I am storing a 1990 5.0 4wd Eddie Bauer Bronco,
i have the exact same thing!!!
ill be happy when forty bucks gives me a full tank rather than 1/4 of a tank!
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #28
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek620 View Post
Get a 5 speed, all CVT concerns eliminated! I'm very happy with my 5 speed. Power and mileage very good.
x100

My husband and I both have 5 speed Patriot Sport models (he liked mine so much, we got one for him a month after we bought mine). I haven't driven the CVT, but I'm sure that the accelleration is better on the 5 speed than the CVT. We were both really suprised at how well the Pats handle on windy back roads, making it really fun to drive! I've gotten up to 33 mpg on highway road trips (without the cruise on even!). Very happy with the 5 speeds for sure. I'd totally recommend them. Try both and decide for yourself.

Welcome to the forum!

ps-didn't see your post about hating 5 speeds-sorry!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.