need info on the 2.4 engine for patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > need info on the 2.4 engine for patriot

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

need info on the 2.4 engine for patriot

hi im new here and really looking forward to getting a patriot. well i test drove it today and was really disappointed on the acceleration of the 2.0. they didnt have a 2.4 in stock so im waiting till they get it to test it out.....my question is how much better is the 2.4? more acceleration? better engine all together...any help is appriciated. thanks roland

roland365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

welcome to the forums!

never drove the 2.0 so I cant compare the two but I wouldnt expect a whole lot more from the 2.4, it doesnt really get going till the revs get above 2000 or so. patriots arent exactly known for their tire roasting abilities, at least not bolted to a CVT.

once it gets going the 2.4 does go pretty good though. its just not that fast off the line till the revs get up a bit. with the CVT if you nail it the revs go right to 5500-6000 or so and sits there and it pulls pretty decent. merging on the highway is no problem (fun too).
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

thx for the reply......

yeah i wanted to test the 2.4 first before deciding on a patriot....i was looking at 4 door silverado, edge, flex but a buddy has one and i liked it...especially when he told me the mpg!....seems fun to drive and for some reason i thought the base model vinyl seats were more comfy than the fabric...lol
the limited looked nice too....
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The CVT requires some trial and error to be able to drive effectively, it actually doesn't accelerate fast when you just stomp the pedal. You pretty much need to give a little throttle to get rolling then get it up to 3.5-4k RPM and adjust the throttle to keep it there while the CVT changes ratios.

I assume this is because of the electronic throttle, just as in the Magnum/Chargers stomping on the pedal while the traction control is on won't result it a tire smoking burn out.
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

so hopefully i can see a little improvemnt on the 2.4.....yeah the cvt is kinda weird...i assume u dont even need to use it.
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland365 View Post
hi im new here and really looking forward to getting a patriot. well i test drove it today and was really disappointed on the acceleration of the 2.0. they didnt have a 2.4 in stock so im waiting till they get it to test it out.....my question is how much better is the 2.4? more acceleration? better engine all together...any help is appriciated. thanks roland
It doesn't hit max HP until nearly 6000 RPMS and the vehicle weights in over 3000 lbs so this is not going to win any drag races against better vehicles. If power and serious acceleration is what you want then I suggest you test drive it once or twice more and make sure you are getting what you want. Some people have bought the Patriot and then constantly complain about its "lack of power". Well ... its not a sports car.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland365 View Post
so hopefully i can see a little improvemnt on the 2.4.....yeah the cvt is kinda weird...i assume u dont even need to use it.
not really but there are tricks, like usswasp mentioned.

when coasting you need to give just a tad of gas or it tends to slow down more than it should (or you would expect). sorta like downshifting but not as drastic, guess its to emulate engine braking.. a touch of gas prevents this.

the engine tends to like 3000 RPM and above, and it lives for 5500-6000 RPM. thats where the power is and the CVT will keep it there when you get on it.

its actually fun to drive when you get used to it.

but off the line its a DOG - not that I mind, it is a gas sipper after all.. and I am used to the low end torque of the XJs 4.0 and my caddys 4.5 V8. this is my 1st 4 banger so maybe Im just not used to it yet. once it hits around 10 mph and the engine hits 6000 it goes pretty good though.
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

i agree im not to much intrested in 0-60, just in the way it seems it struggles on entrance ramps, passing. i really like the patriot....i think with the mpg and room that it has ill be happy with it. i have a 90 eddie bauer Bronco and its killing me...my gf has a 01 ford zx2 which is standard and i dont like driving it....to small and lazy for stick. i think it will be a wise choice...just hate reading all the negative feedback on the car reviews all over the net...it gets me second guessing....
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

merging onto on ramps is no problem. no dragster of course but I feel totally confident Ill be whatever speed Ill need to be once I hit the top of the ramp.

anything above 10 MPH and you stomp it and it goes good, its just getting to 10 MPH thats the drag.
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

oh ok.....sounds good...im looking forward to test driving the 2.4. how exactly does the cvt work?....i tried it and dont know how to do it properly
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

"D" goes forward, "R" goes backwards.

J/K.. theres nothing you really need to know. its just its weird to hear the engine rev up and down while maintaining the same speed on hill and such.

the oddest part is hearing the engine screaming at a steady 6k RPM while the jeep creeps up in speed when you nail it.

you get used to it fast, its just when youre used to driving by "feel" based on engine noise and an old skool geared tranny you have to learn to watch your speed. I find myself speeding a lot because Im used to a certain "drone" from my XJ for a given speed, the CVT doesnt have that steady drone.
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

this might be a dumb question but do u have to use the -/+ while driving? or can u just go down to d and leave it there?
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just "D" like a normal automatic. -/+ are for "special" fun times.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #14
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Wife and I love our cherokee. Bought new in 94 but now has 245,000 on it. We are seriously looking at a 2.4 FWD patriot. Anyone had four adults in theirs with maybe some luggage in the back? Does it still do decent on the highway or does it task the engine quite a bit, especially on an uphill?
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

The CVT is the hardest part for me to get used to. I do the vast majority of my driving on residential streets where the speed limits are a maximum of 35mph and I seem to be able to hit that from a stop by revving up to about 3000rpm and then maintaining it at between 1500 - 2000. Even climbing some of the steeper hills around here I've never had the rpm's hit higher then 3500-4000. I guess a lot of it stems from a sense of paranoia of seeing that rpm gage hitting the red line and worrying about damaging something. warranty or not.

The -/+ auto stick feature is really nice when taking some of those previously mentioned hills when they were covered in snow earlier this year.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.