Need help making decision on model and year - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Need help making decision on model and year

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
roofjp

Need help making decision on model and year

I am currently deployed and should be heading home early next year. I currently do not have a vehicle since I was in a car accident right before the current deployment. i was thinking of buying a 2012 or 2013 Jeep Compass. I just would like to know the differences in models such as the Sport, Latitude and Limited...

The only things that I really require be in the vehicle is satellite radio and it needs to be 4x4 since I could possibly be getting posted somewhere up north soon. Please help me out with the decision experts!

And by the way money isnt the issue on any of it..I will be paying cash for the vehicle up front.

I saw a picture of one called a True north Compass and it looked awesome...Is this a model line or just a one time thing Jeep did as a promotion??

roofjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

With the Compass, you do get more features standard as opposed to many other basic models, including the Patriot. Many will tell you to get the manual shifting unit, and that may net you a little better MPG, but they are hard to come by. Your choice there, I am fine with my wife's CVT.

Sport = No thrills "basic" trim. You have power options like windows and mirrors (heated), but no height adjustment for driver's seat (available as option though) or other similar conveniences.
Latitude = This is usually the sweet spot, and the ones you find the most. Steering wheel audio controls, height adjusting driver's seat, and many other available options like a nicer sound system and navigation.
Limited = Deluxe. Power driver's seat, navigation, etc. etc. As much luxury as you can get in a little Jeep without upgrading to a Grand Cherokee.

They of course come in 2WD (front) units that get the best gas mileage and come with the slightly smaller 2.0L engine, or 4x4 Freedom Drive I, or 4x4 Freedom Drive II. Both 4x4s come with the larger 2.4L engine.

The standard 4x4 FD I system only eats one MPG and is very handy to have if you are heading north. The 4x4 FD II system has different gearing, is really geared for off roading (only thing better would pretty much be a Wrangler), but eats up a lot of MPGs.

I believe the sticker MPG ratings are or somewhere around 20/21/22/23 in town and 23/26/28/29 (FDII CVT/FDI CVT/2WD CVT/2WD Manual).

Thats a quick crash course. Much better if you go to www.jeep.com and build various Compasses. The site will show you the different options available and what standard options come with the different trim levels.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
JeepCares

You can go to http://www.jeep.com/en/lineup/ to see both 2012 and 2013 models. I'm not sure how much longer they will have the 2012 model information available.
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
roofjp

When is the 2013 model coming out and are there any major differences in the two? Is it possible to get the Satellite Radio in a Latitude model? Do I have to spend the extra money to get the Limited model or is the satellite radio option also available in the Sport and Latitude versions? I literally just want a vehicle with 4wd and satellite radio. I could care less about the rest of the options. I was wondering if maybe it would just be smarter to get Satellite radio installed in an aftermarket location like best buy or something instead of paying the extra 5000 dollars for leather interior a sunroof and satellite radio in the limited. Those are literally the only 3 better options over the latitude and i dont think they justify the larger price jump.
roofjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I think Satellite comes with Sun & Sound package. My Latitude has it.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

No real differences between 2012 and 2013 Jeep Compasses. The only difference is you can usually find better/more rebates on the 2012s, as dealers are trying to get them off the lots now that the 2013s are here. The 2013s are out right now in most areas.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofjp View Post
When is the 2013 model coming out and are there any major differences in the two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwe View Post
The only difference is you can usually find better/more rebates on the 2012s, as dealers are trying to get them off the lots now that the 2013s are here. The 2013s are out right now in most areas.
Yep, they've been out for awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.