Need help. Drivers side door ajar switch/sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Need help. Drivers side door ajar switch/sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Need help. Drivers side door ajar switch/sensor

Our 2008 compass is having issues with the door ajar sensor tripping while driving. Dome lights come on and we get the warning chime. Where is this sensor located? I think it may need some love. Thanks!

eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The sensor is part of the door latch.If it's bad the whole latch has to be replaced,not serviceable by itself or sold by itself.
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
eshew
1993 ZJ 

2008 Compass Door ajar Sensor issues, double post, sorry.

So our (Fiancee's) 2008 Compass is having constant dome light issues, relating to a door ajar problem.

I'm assuming there is a bad sensor/switch thingy in the Drivers side door. Just started last night & now its relatively constant.

Down anyone know where the door sensor/switch is located?

Already tried spray lubing the door latch area, no help.

Thanks!

Eric
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Fun times. I think i'm going to give it a silicon bath and hope for ths best...otherwise its parts store time. Thanks for the info!
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Canada12

If it is an intermittent problem, it could possibly be a poor contact at a connector. Check the A pillar connector, it is wher your left front door meets the car body. The black rubber housing pulls away. Possible spread cavity [ loose female side] or corroded contact.
Canada12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Could also be the multi-function switch(turn signal,wipers,headlights switch in the steering column).

Biggest cause for the interior lights randomly turning on in KJ's.
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Atlantisx

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? My 2009 Jeep Compass just started doing the same exact thing last week. It tells me the door is ajar (and I've gotten out in the middle of the street and checked them all) and the dome light and warning chime come on. I also noticed it tries to engage the door locks every time that it does this, which was at least 30+ times on the way to work this morning. In fact there were times when it wouldn't even let me unlock the doors from the inside via the button on the door when all this was going on. I'm about to contact a dealership, though I'm afraid they'll tell me all this stuff has to be replaced just to make it stop, which will of course cost an arm and a leg. Ugh, I hate that Jeep...
Atlantisx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
eshew
1993 ZJ 

No solution yet. Its either a wiring issue or the door switch. I just turned off the dome lights and will get around to taking it to my mechanic soon. Apparently the Dodge Caliber has the same issue, same parts and wiring. So I'm hoping its simple....and cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.