Need help deciding: Mount bike behind, or on top of Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Need help deciding: Mount bike behind, or on top of Compass?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: Would you mount your bike(s) behind or above your MK?
Above 2 33.33%
Behind 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Need help deciding: Mount bike behind, or on top of Compass?

My wife and I are considering taking our mountain bikes on our trip to Calgary later on in August. I need help deciding on getting either:

1) Roof racks and whatever is needed to attach bikes to them

2) A hitch (I didn't get the package, although I wish I did...) with the bike mount attachment.

So far, putting the bikes on the rear would interfere with opening the hatch. But if they're on the roof, I'm paranoid they could bounce around while on the highway and break my sunroof or something. I've never done either, so I don't know which is better, or if it's just up to the person.

Opinions? Anyone know the cost difference? (Roof racks, plus bike holders, vs. hitch and attachment.)

Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
My wife and I are considering taking our mountain bikes on our trip to Calgary later on in August. I need help deciding on getting either:

1) Roof racks and whatever is needed to attach bikes to them

2) A hitch (I didn't get the package, although I wish I did...) with the bike mount attachment.

So far, putting the bikes on the rear would interfere with opening the hatch. But if they're on the roof, I'm paranoid they could bounce around while on the highway and break my sunroof or something. I've never done either, so I don't know which is better, or if it's just up to the person.

Opinions? Anyone know the cost difference? (Roof racks, plus bike holders, vs. hitch and attachment.)
Just a note. The Tow package does NOT come with the hitch, only the engine oil cooler and the wiring harness thrown in the back that YOU get to install.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Hmm, I am not sure that one is better then the other. In both cases, you are likely to suffer some damage to the car from mounting/unmounting and from the bounce around. I have seen a lot of bikes mounted to the back of cars whacking the car as they go down the road. I have also seen a bike launch off of the roof. (Only once thank god...)

I would think that the factory roof mount would be preferred simply because the lift is not impaired. You just want to make damn sure that you put a blanket on top of the Jeep when you are putting the bikes on and taking them off. That should minimize the damage if you "slip"....
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

I went with the hitch mount. Bought a Hidden Hitch ($150.00) installed it myself in about 20 minutes. Theres only 4 bolts to install. then bought a Swagman hitch mounted carrier. It swings down to give you access to the hatch. Now I hardly leave home with out my mountain bike attached.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bike's

I'm in the same boat, i'm looking at the roof mount becouse i own a rallye and i dont think the rear mount will work without cutting the body kit.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

I went with the hitch mount route for three main reasons:

1. The Compass requires the use of the factory bars since the way they mount is a special arrangement. The factory bars also use a special attachment for the carriers.

2. I am getting older and have tired of lifting the bikes onto the roof.

3. Cost- my cost for the hitch and hitch rack for two bikes was $253 US delivered. The cost for just the factory bars is about $200 US and the carriers are about $130 US each.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Thanks for the input so far!

Who makes the bike carriers that attaches to a hitch? I'm having bad luck in Google trying to find a brand and price for one. Is Swagman the only one? (The one "Howdy246" mentioned.)
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Try here: http://www.etrailer.com/c-hitch-racks.htm

This is where I got my hitch and rack.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
JeepitoErgoSum

It's a pain in the @$$ to load and unload bikes on the roof. And you feel STUPID trying to pull into your garage with bikes still on the roof. But you can load, unload, and park in the garage with a hitch mount, and you don't have to take the front wheel off the bike. Also, get some velcro or bungi to go from the bike's front wheel to the frame. It keeps the wheel and bars from turning, beating, and fighting with other bikes and the back of your truck.
JeepitoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
csjonsin

Hi!

I recommend this model. More expensive but ... No vibration , any space available and no difficulty for access.

Check this:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2101...03640372NnvISh
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2821...03640372swMRWD
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2762...03640372efeQjl
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2192...03640372UOqVjn

Bye!
csjonsin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
PirateKatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
I went with the hitch mount. Bought a Hidden Hitch ($150.00) installed it myself in about 20 minutes. Theres only 4 bolts to install. then bought a Swagman hitch mounted carrier. It swings down to give you access to the hatch. Now I hardly leave home with out my mountain bike attached.
Do you have any pictures of the hitch mount installed? I'm curious just how hidden the hidden hitch really is.

Thanks!
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.