need help.ASAP radiator/petcock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > need help.ASAP radiator/petcock

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
ronjr8102
2007 MK Compass 

need help.ASAP radiator/petcock

Well I was draining my radiator yesterday and had it draining after opening the petcock. I felt I did it correct but for.some reason took out the petcock all the way. When I tried to put it back it was at an angle (no room to go straight) I broke it. I am getting a new one today. I'm trying to take out the radiator to get a better shot at putting the petcock in. Does anyone have any tips? I'm so pissed at myself, I was right but went to far.

ronjr8102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My '07 (early model) didn't have a petcock that i could find so I ended up cutting the hoses off to put in the engine oil cooler. Lucky me . I have looked through the radiator section in the FSM and see that removing the radiator should be the last resort. Can you loosen the radiator up to get a better shot at putting it in straight?

1. Drain cooling system.
2. Remove radiator fan.
3. Disconnect lower radiator hose.
4. Remove fasteners attaching AC condenser to radiator. Reposition AC condenser.
5. Remove radiator assembly by lifting it up from the engine compartment. Care should be taken not to damage the cooling fins and tubes during removal.
radiator.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
juandon123
2007 MK Compass 

By any chance were you able to resolve the issue? I had the same problem, where the draincock came out and was impossible to put back in. I bought a new one and am still having an issue reinstalling the draincock. I've read you put it in at 4 o'clock and hand tighten, but that hasn't worked for me.

Thanks!
juandon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
juandon123
2007 MK Compass 

ronjr8102, I found your post on another site and took your advice: I used a pry-bar to push it in and it worked easily. Just make sure the slot is inline with the plug. I would recommend anyone trying the same to be sure you don't put any pressure on the lower coolant lines (not hoses).
juandon123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.