At my wits! POS 2008 Jeep compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > At my wits! POS 2008 Jeep compass

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Matthew1785

So I took the Jeep back to the mechanic that worked on my car back in Jan, He threw it on the lift, after a few mins of poking around with a crowbar and hanging off of the rear suspension, my gut instinct was to pull on the lower control arms and try and see if there was some play.. and guess what I heard! THE EFFIN NOISE!. The noise seems as to be coming from where the lower control arm connects to the rear hub/disc brake area. The same rocking/groaning/clunking noise that I hear whenever the suspension flexs while stopping and acclerating from a stand still or driving at 0-40mph.. So to test the theory some more The mechanic sprayed silicone spray. I got a quote on the labor and I drove off.

While driving the noise seemed to get quieter and quieter.. It still makes the noise but its nowhere NEAR as loud as it was yesterday or the day before. I dont know if the temp outside affects anything. I notice that the hotter is outside the more noise I hear in the rear. and the cooler the quieter. I also noticed the rear sway bar eliminators or bushings the rubber is starting to come apart in strands so those will need to be replaced as well.

I'm looking at $75.00-100.00 for labor and the lower controls arm's I found on Rock Auto for around 35.00 a piece before S&H.

Matthew1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Xd_shooter676
1947 CJ2A 

image-4085029375.jpg

Here ya go
Xd_shooter676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1785 View Post
So I took the Jeep back to the mechanic that worked on my car back in Jan, He threw it on the lift, after a few mins of poking around with a crowbar and hanging off of the rear suspension, my gut instinct was to pull on the lower control arms and try and see if there was some play.. and guess what I heard! THE EFFIN NOISE!. The noise seems as to be coming from where the lower control arm connects to the rear hub/disc brake area. The same rocking/groaning/clunking noise that I hear whenever the suspension flexs while stopping and acclerating from a stand still or driving at 0-40mph.. So to test the theory some more The mechanic sprayed silicone spray. I got a quote on the labor and I drove off.

While driving the noise seemed to get quieter and quieter.. It still makes the noise but its nowhere NEAR as loud as it was yesterday or the day before. I dont know if the temp outside affects anything. I notice that the hotter is outside the more noise I hear in the rear. and the cooler the quieter. I also noticed the rear sway bar eliminators or bushings the rubber is starting to come apart in strands so those will need to be replaced as well.

I'm looking at $75.00-100.00 for labor and the lower controls arm's I found on Rock Auto for around 35.00 a piece before S&H.
Glad you were able to figure it out. Hopefully this ends the noise once and for all.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
bones12v
2014 MK Compass 

This solved my issue on my 2014 Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xd_shooter676 View Post
Ok i am a jeep tech i work at a dealer. There is a tsb for noise in rear. And before i explain thus truste on it. May sound a little crazy but we see it on compass caliber patroit. Ok in the rear lateral arm( the big one that connects in front then goes to rear end or lower control arm) the parking brake cable passes threw it,now on back side or inside u will see a groment that looks like a round accordion that rests in bracket. Us the boot on that torn? If so remove the small bracket and drive it. Thats prolly ur noise. Chryslers fix is new parking brake cable my fix can be zip tie or relocate bracket so less tension on one side. Please let me know if this helps!
Brand new 2014 Compass. Bought it in December and had this noise since the beginning, although I did not notice it during the test ride. Not sure how that happened, but it did.

I went to the dealer twice about it, first they said parking brake issue put it on the lift and fixed something in like a minute, wouldn't tell me what (Guy was a real jerk to me so I returned the attitude). As soon as I was pulling away the sound was still there. I figured going back in would not help solve the problem today I was angry he was angry.

I then scheduled another appointment and dropped it off, different guy this time very pleasant, at least showed concern for my issue. Anyway they called end of the day saying they found the problem and needed to replace sway bar bushings, but the parts would not be in until the next day. So I gladly said keep it overnight I pick it up tomorrow. Very excited to have this problem solved finally.

End (literally 5pm) of the next day I pick up the truck, put it in drive move about 1 inch and immediately hear the sound. I go back in and talk to the tech and he states he needs to open a star case with jeep, since they have done everything they know of at this time. He said he will call me the next day with some info. They never called me yet it has been four days.

Read this post today after being totally annoyed with the noise coming from driver rear with no hope of the dealer finding the problem. Climbed under the truck loosened the bolt for holding the the parking brake boot, then went for a ride and no more noise. I came back home tie wrapped it up as suggested and DONE. Can't thank you enough for guiding me in getting rid of this noise that has plagued me for the two months I have owned the truck.

bones12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Xd_shooter676
1947 CJ2A 

No problem ! Just helping fellow jeepers!
Xd_shooter676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
Chillin701
2008 MK Compass 

Rear compass suspension

I've replaced several parts on my rear suspension that did made all the squeaking /noises go away. But after about 15000 Kms the sqeaks came back and i found the toe links worn and one/ both upper control arms worn again.
Could a bad alignment cause this. The tires are worn a bit on the inside.
Why else would these be worn already.::
Chillin701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
Chillin701
2008 MK Compass 

Compass rear squeaking

I've reported on another thread

Last edited by Chillin701; 04-03-2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Post o an other thread
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #23
Chillin701
2008 MK Compass 

Compass rear squeaking

Reposted
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #24
maralin49
2008 MK Compass 

Hello I'm a new member here but have been on the forum lots of times. I seen your post about the creaking with the 2008 Jeep compass.
I also have replaced the rear lower and upper control arms, toe links, sway bar stabilising links, sway bar bushes, shocks.
Would there be anything else that I could do.

Many Thanks
maralin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #25
merkovd
1996 ZJ 

We have the same rear suspension noise. I have had the thing up on the jack stands serveral times. Tried squirting every joint/bushing with light weight oil. Thinking maybe brakes, like some others said, I replaced rear calipers, rotors, and pads. Actually got a set of pads from NAPA that squealed so bad we could not hear the suspension, so changed those out with Autozone pads. After changing the rear pads the second time, the noise seemed to go away for about 2 weeks, then came back with a vengence. Was due for state inspection, so I told them find it! They inspected it, called and said everything looks good, just rotate the tires. I told them listen/look again. Had my daughter drive it with them, and it did not groan a bit. She took it home, drove to the Walmart, and it squeaks/groans just as bad as before. My think is that if you let the suspension hang, all weight off the wheels, that seems to exercise something just enougth to keep it quiet for a while. Once things settle, the noise comes back. I will check the parking brake cable tomorrow. Like the other guy, thinking about trading it for a wrangler of something - will have to go back quite a few model years and a lot more miles......not a lot of cash, just can't take the noise. Everyone looks when you drive it though a parking lot!
merkovd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #26
merkovd
1996 ZJ 

Still Squeaking

Following up. I went under the compass this past weekend. Checked the boots on the parking brake cable as others suggested. They are all intact. There seems to be plenty of play in the cable, even with the suspension hanging - jeep supported by jack stands under the frame. I used a pry bar to move the left rear tire. This caused some of the squeak. But I could not work the pry bar and get under the vehicle to see if I could isolate the noise. I released the parking brake (it was on the first time), and then tried moving the suspension with the pry bar again. This time I could not get the noise.
Thinking it might have something to do with the cable I sprayed white lithium grease on the rubber grommets where the cable passes throught the control arm. I also sprayed the heck out of every rubber bushing on the rear suspension. I did not see any signs of any degradation of the rubber at any joint. The rear suspension cradle is extremely rusty though. The floor pan and frame rails look good, but the cradle is ugly.

The jeep was on the stands for 3 days as I was doing some paint work. When I put it down and drove it, there was barely any squeak. Two days later, it is back with a vengence. It seems like if you fully extend the rear suspension by jacking it up by the frame, it reduces the squeak for a day or so. That is why I don't thing the dealer can find it. They put it up on the rack to look at it, then put it down to drive it - no noise.

As other's have said, we are at wits end with the only solution looking like selling the vehicle to someone else. Can't fix it if we can't find out where it comes from.
merkovd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.