At my wits! POS 2008 Jeep compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > At my wits! POS 2008 Jeep compass

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Matthew1785

At my wits! POS 2008 Jeep compass

Hello all,

This is going to be an extremely frustrating post.

Back in January I took my car in for creaking/squeaking/groaning noise coming from the rear suspension. Since Jan I've had the following rear suspension parts replaced..

Rear Upper controls arms (LT & RT)
Rear Struts (LT & RT)
Rear Stablizer Links (LT & RT)
Rear Lateral Links some mechanics call them Toe Links (LT & RT)

What the flying Fu*k else could it be? The noise is still a groaning/broken bed noise.

The noise happens when the suspension is flexing, Progessively worsens when the car is fully warmed up. Braking at lower speeds and accelerating or launching from a dead stop. Also I notice the noise happens when I step out of the car from my driver side seat. The noise is audible from, even my wife has heard it.

So here are my questions,

The 2008 Jeep Compass has an Independent Rear Suspension. underneath the car is a arm or arm looking piece that seems to hold up the struts and looks connected to the Stablizer links.. Is that a Lower Control arm? Does the Rear suspension even have a lower control arm? If so are there bushings in that arm?

Someone, ANYONE! please for the love of god.

Help me.. I can't take it anymore!

To me there looks as if there are 3 points on that arm where bushings or what look like bushings seem to be located.

Matthew1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Matthew1785

ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION. Can someone please provide a schematic of the Compass rear suspension?
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Go to this site and select your 2008 Compass and "suspension" on the left as the "category".

It will take you to pictures that you can blow up and see all parts.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you've thrown a lot of money at it, have you taken it to a shop and done a diagnostic?

I've done that a lot on other cars, paid for an hour of diagnostic time, let them tell me what's wrong I look to see if its something I can fix, or if it is something they can fix for me. Its a lot cheaper than throwing parts at a problem.
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

my 2011 compass and my friend's 2009 patriot both creak when we get out of them, we determined it was the parking brake that is doing it. do you use your parking brake?
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My rear end creaked when it was new. It has since stopped.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
louthmale

How can you diagnose a creaking noise in an hour ? I have had my 2012 compass back to the garage 3 times now with front suspension noise. So far they have changed the two front lower control arms and still no joy. The last time I brought it in the the garage put their " magic ear " diagnostic machine on the front suspension but still couldn't find the problem
louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Matthew1785

I had the car at firestone yesterday because the car needed an alignment since I had the lateral links/toe links replaced. I went out to inspect the rear end since it was already on the rack, the mechanic showed me the bushings that hold the sway bar in the rear are bad. (pulled a strand of rubbed that was hanging off. Would that cause the suspension to groan while its flexing at braking to a stop or accelerating from a standstill?
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Matthew1785

from the looks of it, the bushings are called (sway eliminators) whatever they are called they are worn
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Matthew1785

anyone have any other leads for me?
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Xd_shooter676
1947 CJ2A 

Ok i am a jeep tech i work at a dealer. There is a tsb for noise in rear. And before i explain thus truste on it. May sound a little crazy but we see it on compass caliber patroit. Ok in the rear lateral arm( the big one that connects in front then goes to rear end or lower control arm) the parking brake cable passes threw it,now on back side or inside u will see a groment that looks like a round accordion that rests in bracket. Us the boot on that torn? If so remove the small bracket and drive it. Thats prolly ur noise. Chryslers fix is new parking brake cable my fix can be zip tie or relocate bracket so less tension on one side. Please let me know if this helps!
Xd_shooter676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1785 View Post
anyone have any other leads for me?
i've seen bad shocks make that same noise.
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xd_shooter676 View Post
Ok i am a jeep tech i work at a dealer. There is a tsb for noise in rear. And before i explain thus truste on it. May sound a little crazy but we see it on compass caliber patroit. Ok in the rear lateral arm( the big one that connects in front then goes to rear end or lower control arm) the parking brake cable passes threw it,now on back side or inside u will see a groment that looks like a round accordion that rests in bracket. Us the boot on that torn? If so remove the small bracket and drive it. Thats prolly ur noise. Chryslers fix is new parking brake cable my fix can be zip tie or relocate bracket so less tension on one side. Please let me know if this helps!
this seems to be along the lines of what i was thinking, that it's parking brake related. would the parking brake being on or off affect the noise according to this TSB?
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Xd_shooter676
1947 CJ2A 

No there is no effect.if brake is on i belive u should be able to look under and see torn boot. U want me to take apic of a good one?
Xd_shooter676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Matthew1785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xd_shooter676 View Post
No there is no effect.if brake is on i belive u should be able to look under and see torn boot. U want me to take apic of a good one?
Yes please!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.