My parents want a 2012 compass. How are they? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > My parents want a 2012 compass. How are they?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

My parents want a 2012 compass. How are they?

My mom wants a Compass (2012), 2wd. How are the reliability on them? Any good reviews? We're looking to purchase pretty soon. Thanks!

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Biggest reliability complaint is the tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings will wear out at 35-40k. Costly but covered my extended service contracts if she buys one. I did.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

But overall, it isn't bad? What is the chance of that happening? We test drove one overnight and she really likes it, I prefer my JK. Any other issues we should know about before purchasing? Do you recommend them?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Biggest reliability complaint is the tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings will wear out at 35-40k. Costly but covered by extended service contracts if she buys one. I did.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Mine only has 9,000 miles so I don't know yet. The TR Ends and CA Bushings just seem to be the most commonly recurring failure on here, always around 35-40k.

Somebody posted about a Transmission failure the other day around 190k miles. I'd say that is pretty good actually.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
JeepCares

Make sure they test drive before they buy!

good advice for any vehicle, Compass or not
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

We did =)

---
Quote:
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

my 2008 Compass just hit 40,000 miles and I have put new tires on it and had the tie rod ends replaced. Good vehicle and mine gets 23-25 in town and 27-29 mpg on the highway. While tie rods should last longer than 30,000 miles, I have no other complaints!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

2wd or 4wd?

---
Quote:
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Drakken4x4

My 2008 is currently at 54k. 4WD and the only issue I ever had was replacing the Catalytic Converter at around 42k, but it was covered under the factory warrenty. I put new tires on last november and no signs of problems with my tie rod. Overall its fun to drive, my only complaint is the cheap interior/exterior , but when i sat in a 2012 theh seemed to of gave it a good overhaul. Just wish it had a little more power in the engine.
Drakken4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Mine is a 2WD, 5 spd manual.
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. We're in between a Compass and a Grand Cherokee now. I'm voting for Grand Cherokee myself, because I had one previously.. I'll post back when we make our decision =)

---
Quote:
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Drakken4x4

I like the new grand cherokees much more than the compass, but the gas mileage and price is far more attractive on the compass
Drakken4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken4x4 View Post
I like the new grand cherokees much more than the compass, but the gas mileage and price is far more attractive on the compass
X2, but it depends what your parents are going to be using it for. The Grand Cherokee is definitely a nice Jeep though.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken4x4 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I like the size and look of the Grand Cherokee, but the massive price difference and difference in fuel efficiency is quite a costly thing to consider! And now that the newer Jeep Compasses look like "baby Grand Cherokees" the only thing to really consider is whether you need and can afford that power.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.