My first weekend with the Jeep in winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > My first weekend with the Jeep in winter

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

My first weekend with the Jeep in winter

Wow. Awesome. Fun. Safe.

These are just a few of the words I've been using since Winnipeg was hit with about 10cm of snow, and a ton of freezing rain just prior to that. All that being said, while driving around in our five month old Jeep Compass North 4x4.

I've been driving for about thirteen years now. All the while I've driven front wheel drive (FWD) vehicles during the seasons. While my wife and I were searching for a new vehicle, I had made a strong point. I wanted AWD/4WD/4x4 for the winter. I was sick and tired of having that slight lack of control. I was tired of wanting to proceed from a red light, or a stop sign - only to sit there while the front tires spin helplessly on ice. I was tired of having no confidence that my FWD vehicle would not get stuck in a snow storm. With our new Jeep, I've gained this confidence, and then some.

One thing I have always done, was push the vehicle a little harder to see what it can handle. So on streets with no traffic, or in a large empty parking lot, I would stop, and then accelerate quickly (not flooring it, but more oomph than one would normally do in slippery conditions). I would repeat this in a straight line, and then into a turn. As I did this several times, my smile grew and grew.

When turning quickly into a corner, the 4x4 system can easily fish-tail since there's power to the back wheels as well (compared to FWD). But with the ESP, it has consecutively pulled the Jeep back into a straight line! Impressive! Also, if I happen to accelerate too hard for the icey conditions, the TC portion of ESP kicks in, and causes the wheels to stop spinning freely, and re-gain traction on the ice - thus giving me a far better take off.

When it comes to braking, the Jeep doesn't act any differently than any other vehicle out there with ABS. It's kicked in often already (as said, right now, there's a lot of streets that are pure ice w/ no sand on them yet) and has given me a good idea of braking distance. Also, with ours being a 5-speed manual transmission, downshifting helps considerably.

So from all this time of driving and owning FWD vehicles, I am pretty certain I will not be going back - so long as I live in a climate that holds long winters! I've gone from dredding a simple drive to a destination, to thinking, "Bring it on!"

My name is Rob. And I love my Jeep.

Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

I too always take my new car in to a freshly snowed upon parking lot (one with not many light posts)

and try to find the cars limits and feels - how does the car behave just before it loses traction - or how much does it take to correct a slide etc...

I look forward to this years first decent snow when I can go out and put the Jeep through it's paces.

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Any thoughts on how much I will regret getting a 2 wheel drive Compass? We do get significant snow in Iowa....
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

"You don't miss what you don't have."

I personally couldn't fathom going back to FWD. But, I also survived it for thirteen years. You still have good ground clearance compared to the average car, and if you have traction control, that will help too.
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
PirateKatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
"You don't miss what you don't have."
I agree.

I have an '08 4WD Compass Sport and can say with no reservations that it handles better than any car I've ever owned in the snow. Before that, when I got my first FWD drive car, I was beyond impressed with how easy it was to drive with snow on the ground. Prior to that, I somehow managed to do OK with RWD drive cars w/no weight in the back and a giant engine in front.

Just to reminisce... I can remember how impressed I was when I drove my first FWD drive car in winter ('90 Plymouth Acclaim). I couldn't believe how easy it was to take corners, accelerate from a stop, or go up a hill vs. my previous car (a '78 Olds. Cutlass Supreme coupe).
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Elihawk - I wouldn't worry too much - I had my Neon for 10 years here in Michigan with no problems - like Knightfall said - you've got good ground clearance and traction control that will help

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Well, before the Compass...I drove a Mazda Protege for 13 years. This last winter in Iowa was so Brutal, it had to go. Problem was, the dealer had no 4 WDs at the time of my purchase and I fell for the Black Rallye Sport...
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Check out this thread Compass on Ice from the early days. You'll be just fine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Check out this thread Compass on Ice from the early days. You'll be just fine.
Good read too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.