My 2008 Patriot has bad ABS Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > My 2008 Patriot has bad ABS Module

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
bbqbob54

My 2008 Patriot has bad ABS Module

As anyone else had a problem with their ABS module going south on them? My dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree with the ABS warning light, the ESP light, the Skid light, the 4WD!! light and sometimes the check engine light.
A local garage put their computer on it and told the the ABS module needed replacing.
My Patriot is just 3 years old and has 49000 miles on it. This is not covered by the warranty and sucker is expensive. It seems a little early for this to be going bad on me. Does anyone know if this is a widespread problem? Thanks!

bbqbob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

It happens,and no not a widespread problem and can happen on every vehicle regardless of who made it.

Granted most ABS pumps that I replace are due to idiot owners filling the brake master with ATF which is death to every rubber part in your brake system with a average cost to fix around $2500.
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IMO get a second opinion from Jeep dealer, I've seen a few times where a generic code comes up and the dealers scanner pulls a more specific code and repair procedure.
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
bbqbob54

Thanks folks, I have an appointment tomorrow at 7:00 am at the Jeep dealer for the diagnostics.
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Whats a Jeep dealer charge for that out of curiosity? Volvo used to r@pe me for $175 diagnostic fee.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All of those same lights have gone off on me. I never checked the code but re-centered the steering angle sensor by turning the wheel lock to lock and that helped for awhile. Turned out to be an alignment problem.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbob54 View Post
Thanks folks, I have an appointment tomorrow at 7:00 am at the Jeep dealer for the diagnostics.
Let us know what they came up with.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
bbqbob54

Looks like reasonably good news. According to the Jeep dealer service department it is on a wheel sensor, a $54 part vs several hundred dollars for the ABS module. They are ordering the part and I have an appointment Friday to have it installed, I'm crossing my fingers that that will fix the problem!
How they described the problem to me is as follows:
When the wheel sensor went bad the on board computer sensed this. Now all four wheels could no longer communicate with each other so the braking system/stability control/4 wheel drive system went to a default setting. This setting allows you to keep driving but Jeep is just operating more like a Jeep from the 1960s.
I noticed the ride is less smooth and the accelerating seems very mushy. They told me I could drive it but I would more likely go into a skid in an emergency situation and my gas mileage won't be very good.
I don't know how much the charge for the diagnostics will be, I am still waiting to hear from Chrysler corp on how much they will take responsibility for. That will be settled by Friday.
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
JeepCares

Thanks for the update.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
bbqbob54

Here's how it worked out:

I went to the dealer to have the wheel sensor replaced and the on board system reset. My Patriot is now running fine with no extra lights on the dashboard. They charged me a grand total of $50! Chrysler Corporation called it a warranty issue and covered the balance. This included the cost for all diagnostics and installation.
I really have nothing but praise and thanks for Chrysler Corporation and Franklin Jeep in Farmington Maine.
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I still love good news!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
Eukanuba

Hey Guys !

I have a 2008 Patriot, diesel in a limited - I am having the EXACT same problem that you describe..

I noticed it only happened after I took it in for a service and they insisted it needed a wheel alignment and balance ( despite the new cooper tyres being only 2000 km old.. )

the ABS light came on, the stability control light came on - intermittently and it felt like a skateboard..

The traction control light came on also, but I can turn that on and off with the switch..

I took it into the jeep dealer closest to me, and they insist that it's a faulty ABS control module ( @ $1000 plus fitting )... and if this ' doesn't fix it ' then I'm up for another $1,500 for an ' ABS PUMP ' ' plus fitting '.. which should see me out of pocket over $3,000....

I read, word for word what you wrote - and showed them the forum.. and the mechanic said he had never heard of it - so they put it back on the hoist and 'checked the sensors' - which I firmly doubt as he only seemed to want me to pay for the new pump and control module.. and told me he had ' checked the wheel sensors with the diagnostic equipment '.. I call BS on that one..

Can you get to these sensors to swap them out yourself ? is there a part number - and how hard is it to do ?

I want to do this, before I go dropping $3k on something that ' may or may not ' fix the problem..
Eukanuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.