MOPAR or After Market Hitch? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MOPAR or After Market Hitch?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
PirateKatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
As long as you get a harness that has the relays you'll be OK. There are a couple of aftermarket ones that work well, I'll let those who have them fill in the blanks. I did my own install and didn't really think it was hard.

I'll recommend getting a hitch with a 2" receiver not for towing capacity but for far more aftermarket options available than the 1 1/2". Lots of good one out there.
I called around and got several quotes -- It sounds like a Class III w/2" receiver is the most common route and is all that the local places have in stock.

If I have an aftermarket harness installed, will it require a reflash or anything?

PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No re-flashing that I'm aware of. Disconnecting the battery during installation, a common safety procedure, resets everything in 10 - 30 minutes.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

I picked up a Curt Class 3 for 180 bucks and installed it myself in about 45 minutes. I ordered the Jeep wiring harness as I am a little iffy when it comes to altering electrical with aftermarket stuff, I also ordered the oil cooler now just trying to find a half decent tent trailer around here.
wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Bador

2008 MK Compass 

My initial estimate from the dealer was over $700. I took the Compass to UHaul, and had a 2 inch receiver installed for about $160.

I had a factory wiring harness from my original factory order. I had to find an automotive electrician to install it. That cost me $145.

Overall, I had a functional CL 2 receiver installed for just over $300 including labor.

The Right Thing, The Easy Thing, and the Popular Thing, are seldom the Same Thing
Bador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #20
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Damn you guys have things so much better over there! Here, the stealership wants just shy of 1000 euros for a detachable tow hook installation. A Jeep parts store is selling the parts for about 750€. I feel these prices are ridiculous.

I am left wondering, could I order the parts from the U.S. or would the shipping costs kill me? I'm not really looking to tow anything, I would just like the mount point for possible spare tire holder, expedition antenna, tow/lift point etc. Since off-road performance is an issue, I take it I would have to cut into the rear bumper?
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #21
PirateKatz

I just had a hitch & harness installed by UHaul. I was a little iffy about the aftermarket electrical but went with UHaul for price (and my neighbor, who I do trust is the manager there). The receiver, harness, ball & riser/mount, and installation came to about $320. I don't have any plans on actually towing anything right now and am planning on using it entirely for a cargo rack and bike rack; I think if I were to tow, I'd probably get the factory oil cooler installed.

I'm very impressed with the hitch and it looks aesthetically nice, as it's nearly entirely concealed behind the bumper.
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #22
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Have the Hitch, the Oil Cooler and The Mopar wiring harness all installed. Not sure why the instructions for the cooler tell you to drain all the oil and coolant. I just took the oil filter off and lost about two tablespoons of oil. I did use about four liters of coolant while removing the hoses and installing the new ones. The hardest part I found was installing the wiring harness as I was laying on my back in the driveway trying to snake the cable underneath to avoid any moving parts. I pick up my pop up trailer on Wednesday, found a 10 foot that weighs 1500lbs unloaded so that gives me some freedom to store the essentials in it while towing. I will repost after a weekend trip to let you know how it worked out.
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Just going over the instructions for the wiring harness, in my 2009 Compass I left the wire that can be cut intact is this correct? Step 24 b only mentions the Patriot not the Compass so I didn't cut the wire.
Your help is appreciated
Wes
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #24
Mgb1941
2008 MK Patriot 

reese hitch simple install

Performance Innovations of Wilmington NC did my hitch along with all my other mods, no cutting 2" receiver, and straight forward installation.
Mgb1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
jaxx_09
2009 MK Patriot 

Sounds as if you all are pulling trailers? What would be a good hitch for a bike rack? I already own my bike rack which slid right into my previous SUV's hitch amd was secured by a pin. Thanks!
jaxx_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
jaxx_09
2009 MK Patriot 

is this what I am looking for? http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...9&make=Jeep&h=

I just need to measure my current bike rack to determine the hitch opening I need correct? The drawtight is a good price!
jaxx_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

DrawTite is a good hitch. A 2" reciever is the most popular by far.

Unread 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #28
brettsctt2

Does anyone know if this tow hitch is legit? I am thinking of getting it. But want to make sure its a good one.
http://www.autoanything.com/towing/75A3957A0A0.aspx
brettsctt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #29
PirateKatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx_09 View Post
is this what I am looking for? http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...9&make=Jeep&h=

I just need to measure my current bike rack to determine the hitch opening I need correct? The drawtight is a good price!
The UHaul hitch that I got looks identical to both the Hidden Hitch and Draw-Title 2" hitches. Unless there is something very subtle, they all look the same to me.
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #30
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Valley is a very good hitch. I trust that site, haven't found anything wrong with whatever they sell.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.