MOPAR or After Market Hitch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MOPAR or After Market Hitch?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

MOPAR or After Market Hitch?

Going to be installing a hitch within the week and was wondering which is better the Mopar hitch or an after market hitch like Reese or Hidden hitch. The dealer wants too much money for the install, 4 bolts!! I will be installing it myself. I will be just hauling a bike rack this summer and a pop up tent trailer next summer.
Any information is much appreciated.
Wes

wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
RickHonzaRubicn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

after market, mopar is so expensive
RickHonzaRubicn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I have the MOPAR and it is expensive and only takes 1 1/2 accessories. Valley Tow Rite, Hidden Hitch, Reese and others cost less and take 2" accessories. If I had to do it over I'd go with an aftermarket but watch out for it hitting on the muffler.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

I think I'll be going with the Hidden Hitch, its 196.00 plus (brace yourself) 13% sales tax. The Mopar is 285 plus the 13% sales tax. The Hidden Hitch comes with the bar for the tow ball and all hardware the Mopar bar is another 60.00 plus the 13% sales tax. I have seen some Hidden hitches installed on the compass and they appear to be miles away from the muffler.
Unread 06-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
ChillyWillys
2008 MK Patriot 

I'm sure you already know this but a Patriot or Compass will only handle a class 2 hitch. Having said that, I'll also add that I went the aftermarket route. I've got a Draw-Tite on mine. I had one on my previous vehicle too. I pull a 245 Lb. Aluma 4x6 (all aluminum) trailer to the dump (and other places). I had both hitches put on at the place I bought the trailer. They wanted about $300 to put it on the Patriot. The Jeep dealer said it would be around $600. In fact the guy I bought the Patriot from suggested that I'd be better off going aftermarket; which I already pretty much new anyway.

Good luck with the installation!

CW
ChillyWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Thanks for all the feedback.
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

I just got a DrawTite hitch a few months ago. I'm glad I didn't get Mopar's because it's only a Class I. That's not enough for a bike rack either because the vertical load isn't strong enough.

Plus, the cost of Mopar's Class 1 was the same as some Class III's.

Mine is a II, and bolted in with no problems at all. Plus it's low enough I didn't have to cut into the bumper or anything.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
ChillyWillys
2008 MK Patriot 

"Knight" makes a good point above saying that he didn't have to cut into the back bumper to install his Draw Tite. That wasn't an issue with the Patriot either. It sits right below the gas tank. It's also still high enough and sticks out far enough that it isn't a real pain to hook up and unhook the trailer.

CW
ChillyWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Now, I am wishing I got a Draw Tite from the sounds of it.......I got the MOPAR because my dealership threw it in no charge in order to sweeten to deal for the MK. However, with the small cut out in the bumper it is a real pain to get the hitch pin in and out. I've torn up my knuckles every time I install/remove the hitch.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

^ Your deal isn't a total loss if you got the wiring harness and tranny cooler; neither or which I have.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
^ Your deal isn't a total loss if you got the wiring harness and tranny cooler; neither or which I have.

They did throw in the the wiring harness as part of the deal but I bought the oil cooler later.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The factory harness is spendy too. There are some good aftermarket ones with the relays in them.

There is no substitute for the factory oil cooler that I'm aware of. Ledge - did you install it yourself or have the dealer do it? I did my own. Not to bad once you got everything out of the way.

Unread 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

I had the dealership put the oil cooler on. I looked over your directions for installing it on a previous thread and it looked fairly easy but I was really pressed for time so I had the dealer do it while I used my truck to get around for work. They charged me 140.00 for the cooler and another 140.00 for labor/shop materials/tax. I think that was a little steep but I needed it done before we left for our vacation and I simply could not get it done in time myself.
Unread 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
PirateKatz

I'm thinking of getting a hitch for our 2008 Jeep Compass Sport. We primarily want it in order to use a hitch-mounted cargo rack for trips. Before we start calling around for prices, what do people generally recommend for class and size?

We don't anticipate hauling a trailer at this point but we'd probably get the wiring harness installed anyways. Can the harness be installed anywhere or is it just safer to have the dealer do it?
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

As long as you get a harness that has the relays you'll be OK. There are a couple of aftermarket ones that work well, I'll let those who have them fill in the blanks. I did my own install and didn't really think it was hard.

I'll recommend getting a hitch with a 2" receiver not for towing capacity but for far more aftermarket options available than the 1 1/2". Lots of good one out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.