Moog Ball joint replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Moog Ball joint replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Lafaso870

Moog Ball joint replacement

Has anyone replaced just the ball joints on their '07-'08 Patriot or Compass? Moog has a listing for the Compass and I was told by two dealers that the control arms for both the Compass and the Patriot are the same part so it stands to say that the ball joints would be the same.
If you have, how do you remove the old Ball Joint? How does the new one attach?

Thanks

Lafaso870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Patriot, Compass and Caliber are all the same. They are a press fit which used to be a common way of attaching them to the lower control arm BUT since it has become common practice to replace everything as sub assemblies, to save time, Jeep only sells these as units. The lower control arm also has a pressed in bushing that, from Jeep, is part of the assembly.

The MOOG replacements (available from Car Quest and other parts stores) are a press in/out set up just like the old days and if you have access to the equipment it's not that hard to do.

I stole this from over at JP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
OK guys
Here's the scoop. I just replaced one side of my ball joint on my Patriot with the MOOG replacement for the Compass. (part# MOOG-K500063) It was a job but only because I didn't have a clue and had to keep running off to the parts store.

1. remove the control arm by taking out the two mount bolts and then remove the pinch bolt on the ball joint and using a fork, take loose the ball joint.

2. From the top, press out the ball joint from the LCA. I got a ball joint press set up from Advance Auto from their loner tools. It takes a large deposit but you get it back when your done.

3. Press the new Ball Joint in from the top until you reach on the flange on the BJ. Install the snap ring on the bottom, install the boot and then the grease Zerk. (Yes the new BJ can be greased )

4. Reinstall the LCA and your done. It took me about 3 1/2 hrs on one side but the other side will be a LOT quicker as I have the tools and now know what to do.
Cost for the two ball joints was about $120.00 but even if you have someone do them, the Moogs can be greased and have a lifetime guarantee. So in the long run, I think you'll be happier.
Good Luck
Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Did the second side today. Only took about 1 hr and 20 minutes. Now off to the alignment shop.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ball joints , compass , mk , patriot , suspension , tie rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.