MK's to be updated. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MK's to be updated.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
unclejjg

MK's to be updated.

The Patriot, Compass, and Caliber will be three of the 12 vehicles that will receive a total of 260 upgrades in the immediate future. They will also all receive price cuts.

Looks like a $150 million dollar investment. Looks like it will begin to go into effect next month.

The article is here.

Wonder what it could be. CVT upgrade? All MK's share that in common. More sound insulation....a common complaint. Lots of options and room for improvement.

Also:

Quote:
Press said Chrysler has already made 260 upgrades to its vehicles, mostly improvements in materials and appearance. That was part of a $150 million investment in existing products, he said.

"Over time you'll see an evolution to much stronger interior packages," he said.
Edit/Delete Message
Above found here.

unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I wonder what they have in mind with this statement?
Chrysler also aims to shore up the image of its brands, such as Jeep, after being criticized for expanding into vehicles such as the Compass that detract from its outdoor and off-road performance image. "It's got to be true to the brand. Don't put Jeep on something that is not a real Jeep," Press said of Chrysler's emerging brand strategy.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

This should be interesting. They've already fixed my one complaint I have with my Caliber by darkening the interior. (The 07 caliber light gray sucks to clean!!!)
Otherwise, a stick shift AWD caliber would be my next gripe. Finally, MyGig on ALL models as an option Other than that, no improvements needed!
Unread 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
unclejjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Chrysler also aims to shore up the image of its brands, such as Jeep, after being criticized for expanding into vehicles such as the Compass that detract from its outdoor and off-road performance image. "It's got to be true to the brand. Don't put Jeep on something that is not a real Jeep," Press said of Chrysler's emerging brand strategy.

Compass w/FDII?????
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What does that mean for the Patriot and the Compass? I think they'd be foolish to cut either out of the line up (I wrote a letter to include with my Customer Service Survey to that effect). Wranglers and Grand Cherokees are great, but lets face it-with $3.50/gallon gas, who can afford it? We love the gas milage on our Pats! If they discontinue these, then people would be looking at Suzuki's, Honda's and Toyotas-Not Cool!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's a definite maybe . It's funny too that looking through the parts manuals I find stuff listed for 49 (Compass) with a DWD (FD II) description. These listing are separate from the 74 (Patriot) DWD listings. So what's up with that.

Whether they sell the Compass to the Chinese to manufacture over there, drop it at Belvidere or fix some of the supposed deficiencies that started with the bobble head ads created by Jeep, it won't matter much to me. I'll still love my Compass for it's uniqueness and rebuild whatever I need to with Patriot parts (I'm doing that anyway) and park it right next to my obsolete Challenger. It's always been my opinion that the factory builds compromises, I rebuild them to suit me.

It appears that the US is hot for the Patriot but the Compass is doing VERY well in the export market. It has also brought new buyers into Jeep, those that really don't like the classic Jeep looks and would have never considered buying one before the Compass came out.

Unread 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

What does it mean for us guys? Does that mean there will be fixes/updates for those who have already purchased a Compass/Patriot? I hope so...
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

$150M for 260 upgrades on 12 vehicles doesn't leave much for each individual unit. Will it be upgrades for the new ones coming off the line, retro fits and fixes on those already produced? Nobody is saying. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Unread 01-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Chriztofor
2007 MK Compass 

"$150M for 260 upgrades" Great, maybe I should have waited to purchase my Compass!
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did some poking around...it looks like this is an effort to show that Chrysler (and Jeep) won't wait for the product cycle to come around again to do a redesign. It looks like the Patriot and Compass will both get interior makeovers, in the Compass' case to keep it from getting axed (right away).
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...014/BUSINESS01

Quote from the article:
Quote:
Chrysler this fall is expected to dramatically make over the interiors of the Jeep Compass and Patriot, vehicles that were launched within the past 16 months, people familiar with the plans told the Free Press.
I don't quite know what to do. We're planning on buying a Patriot in the next couple of weeks, but this makes me think twice. I guess there's always something better and nicer coming down the line. Oh well.
jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can see them redoing the interior a bit, its awful plain.. but i like plain. maybe theyll add more cupholders

about the only thing Id redo in the patriot is the headrests and the armrest. and add another dome light over the back seats.
Unread 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
dropt_98_dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps

going with that quote from chrysler and the jeep name with OFFROAD performance, they did make the grand charakee SRT, I'm sure as heck owners of that don't plan on taking it of road. That along with the compass I beleive what could be called "street jeeps"
dropt_98_dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Compass without FD II is no more a street Jeep than the Patriots without it, too. I'll take mine off-road LONG before the wife does her GC or the Daughter her Libby. Off-roading is just as much attitude as it is vehicle. I didn't tell Jeep to run the stupid bobble head commercials and destroy a good image before the Compass even had a chance. If it had been promoted the same way that the Patriot was then people may have had a different attitude about it regardless of it's non-classic looks.

I'll also always be in the markert for a Jeepster at the right price. Is that why they quite making it, too?

Unread 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
Jeepster55

"IF" i were Chrysler, i would 'move' the Compass to the Chrysler line. this way Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep would ALL have an MK in their stable. just change out the nameplates and add a Chrysler eggcrate grille, and it would be good to go. the Chrysler MK would be more 'upscale', the Dodge MK (Caliber is actually a "PM") would be the 'performance' model and the Jeep MK (Patriot) would be the one to carry on the FDII pkg and off road equipment. make sense?

hummmm, "Chrysler Compass".....kind of has a ring to it!!!

Last edited by Jeepster55; 04-20-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
dwn2earth223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is some great info! Thanks for passing it on. I was about to order one this weekend. Will wait and see now. (If I can hold out that long )

This is a great site (newbee) and am glad for the positive feedbacks on the MK, twisted my arm the rest of the way

Last edited by dwn2earth223; 01-16-2008 at 11:04 PM..
dwn2earth223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.