MK towing capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MK towing capacity

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

MK towing capacity

I've been discussing the patriot with the wife lately and the gas mileage is very tempting to trade the Liberty for a Patriot. I want to maximize gas mileage so I am considering the 5-speed manual over the CVT2 but we will need to be able to pull up to 2000 lbs maximum with whatever we get.

Here's the question. I haven't been able to confirm or deny that the 5-speed is rated for up to 2000 lbs when properly equipped. My dealer doesn't know what I'm talking about since the Patriot is so new. I do know that the CVT2 is rated for 2000 lbs but many other Jeeps (the XJ for one) is not rated for the same tow capacity between manual trannys and automatics.

Can anyone confirm via an owners manual or other source what the Maximum rated towing capacity of the 5-speed manual is for the Patriot.

Thanks a bunch.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Go here and click on Towing:

http://www.jeep.com/en/patriot/featu...ml?feature=ESP

The Trailer Tow Group is the Engine Oil Cooler and Wiring harness. The transmission is not specified on the MK's. Sorry, I can't find a Patriot Manual to fit my budget yet.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Go here and click on Towing:

http://www.jeep.com/en/patriot/featu...ml?feature=ESP

The Trailer Tow Group is the Engine Oil Cooler and Wiring harness. The transmission is not specified on the MK's. Sorry, I can find a Patriot Manual to fit my budget yet.
Thanks Gramps,

I have yet to find anything on the Jeep sites that say specifically that 5-speeds would have a different towing capacity than the CVT2. Since its their job to cover their butts I will assume the maximum capacity is 2000 lbs.

Later.

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Jeep build and price doesn't even show the Trailer Tow Prep Group for the Patriot any more. What's up with that? Definitely orders yours with it. The one for the Compass shows at $130 from the factory. The cooler alone is $132 (I have found it for $103) and the wiring harness is another $113. The Compass Manual does say CVT/Manual on the transmission.

It does not come with the receiver. The MOPAR receiver is the little 1 1/4" jobs that is only rated for 1500 lbs, I would look for a Hidden Hitch or equivalent 2" receiver.

More info here on what we dug up on the Compass:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/anyone-have-hitch-hitch-installation-346762/

I'll check the Service Manual that covers both tonight for any additional info. In the mean time maybe one of the Patriot owners could confirm that their manual says the same thing.

Unread 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Trailer Towing Weights (Maximum Trailer Weight Ratings)
The following chart provides the maximum trailer weight ratings towable for your given drivetrain.

Engine/Transmission******Frontal Area******Max. GTW ******Max. Tongue Wt.

2.4L Auto/Man************** 22 sq. ft. ********1,000 lbs**********150 lbs.

2.4L Auto/Man***************32 sq. ft.********2,000 lbs.*********225 lbs.
with Trailer Tow
Prep Package (AHC)

This is from the 2007 MK Patriot and Compass Service Manual. Same info in the Compass Owners Manual.

Unread 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Gramps,

Thanks a lot! Now to convince the wife she wants a 5-speed.

Unread 05-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
93YJNewf
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Towing?

how much can the Compass and the Patriot tow??
93YJNewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Shikkapow

just so you know I have a patriot 5spd and got the tow package. They actually do install the cooler, but the harness is thrown in tha back of the trunk and you have to install it yourself.

And another thing make sure you order floormats, they aren't a standard option even with the limited.
Shikkapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJNewf
how much can the Compass and the Patriot tow??
So far, everything I've seen sets a maximum of 2,000 pounds, when properly equipped. I take that to mean the factory-installed transmission cooler, receiver, and whatnot...however, one of the posts above states that the receiver is only rated at 1,500 pounds. Wonder what's up with that?

I only need to occasionally pull a 4' x 8' utility trailer from Lowes and Home Depot - each of which is less than a mile from my house - so I'm tempted to go with a receiver, harness, and maybe the Mopar accessory cooler. But given my light-duty towing, that last part may be overkill.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The CVT already has an oil cooler according to the Service Manual. The Engine Oil Cooler is an add on but specific for the transmission, 82210700 for the CVT and 82210701 for the manual. Jeep will probably say "factory installed' but common sense says "as the factory would have installed". Of course we know that a wiring harness does not increase towing capacity and the only other part to the Trailer Tow Prep Package (AHC) is the Engine Oil Cooler.

The MOPAR Receiver only takes the little 1 1/4" draw bar and is rated by MOPAR at 1500 pounds. The class 1 hitch, such as this MOPAR unit, are generally rated by other manufactures at 2,000 lbs capacity and a 200 lb tongue weight. Other company's, such as Hidden Hitch, make a receiver that take the more standard 2" draw bar and are considered a class 2 or higher with a 3500 lb towing capacity and 350 tongue weight and higher.

I will be installing the oil cooler simply because it gives me piece of mind not only for towing but also for some other things that I intend on doing.

Just an added note on the interior space. We went to pick up a new 8' Kitchen counter top this weekend and it wouldn't fit in the wife's GC but it did in my Compass by folding down the front seat.

Unread 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Just an added note on the interior space. We went to pick up a new 8' Kitchen counter top this weekend and it wouldn't fit in the wife's GC but it did in my Compass by folding down the front seat.
sweeeeettt!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.