MK OIL COOLER INSTALLATION/Tow Wiring Diagram/Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MK OIL COOLER INSTALLATION/Tow Wiring Diagram/Hitch

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
stoge

MK OIL COOLER INSTALLATION/Tow Wiring Diagram/Hitch

Hey all!

Just picked up my new Compass Sport the other day. The wife and I love it so far! I had one issue during our purchase...we could not find a 2007 Compass within 250 miles of Allentown, PA area that had the Tow Prep Group on it.....SOOOOO....I decided just to purchase the factory parts and do this install myself.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to install the:

-Engine Oil Cooler
-Wiring harness for Tow
-Factory Hitch

Any help is appreciated!

SToGE

stoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hitch installation is here starting at post 47:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...01#post3631601

I have the Engine Oil Cooler Kit and will be doing a "how to install" as soon as I find some time Looks really easy, if you can change your oil and radiator hoses you can install this.

The wiring harness requires removing the Left Rear Inner Quarter Panel (corrected). No big deal looking at the Service Manual, just pricey!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
stoge

Does the packaging actually come with instructions for the parts listed above? I can change my oil/hoses so I think I should be able to do it myself.

Thanks!
stoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Oil Cooler instructions are great and a bit humorous! The illustration is a Caliber and it also shows removing the Skid Plate (if so equipped). The Caliber, Compass and Patriot are all the same on this and the Patriot with FD II is the only one with the Skid Plates and it would already have the Oil Cooler installed. Sometimes I'm easily amused .

Also, since you just got yours maybe it's not too late to see if the dealer can swing you a good deal price wise on the parts.

From the factory the Trailer Tow Prep Package is $130. The Engine Oil Cooler I found for $100. The Wiring Harness is going for about $100 but I understand that it's not installed and I've missed one on eBay for $50, so shop around. The factory does NOT install the receiver so that is a dealer item or after market. The factory one FITS, I can't vouch for the others.

The receiver instruction are good, use the pictures in the other post as a guide.

I haven't seen the instructions for the Wiring harness but the Service manual shows it very well and I can post them later, if needed.

Unread 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
madrabbitt

well. you could have specified the skid plate package on any fd1 compass, patriot or awd caliber.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
well. you could have specified the skid plate package on any fd1 compass, patriot or awd caliber.
From what I can see there is no "Skid Plate Package" unless it would be 'Dealer Installed". The package with the skid plates are listed as:

Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group
Package includes
4-Wheel Drive Off-Road Mode
140-Ampere Alternator
Hill Descent Control
Brake Lock Differentials
Air Filtering
Trail Rated Badge
Engine Oil Cooler
Full-Size Spare Tire
Tow Hooks
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transmission/Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate

Selecting this option also automatically selects the CVT w/crawl ratio available only on the Patriot.

Did you forget the " "?

Unread 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
deuce315

Just bought my Patriot and had the hitch installed at the dealership but via a screw up the wiring harness was not installed. Now I would like to install the wiring myself. How complicated is it? I.E, can I just plug in the harness?

Thx for any input.
deuce315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes, it's just a plug and play thing. I took my rear quarter panel off today and took some pics. I'll post the pics and diagram info as soon as I can.

A note on the OIL COOLER - I was gonna do it on Saturday but needed a 12mm hex key (allen wrench) socket. Not available locally so NAPA is getting me a allen wrench that I will cut off and put into a 12mm socket so that I can use the torque wrench on it. Any body else who does this is going to need one, too.

Unread 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The first pic is of the two panel tools that are becoming my favorites.

First, loosen or remove the "C" pillar panel.

Second, using a panel tool of your choice, pull out at the bottom of the door scuff plate starting at the front and working your way back. Then pull up on it to remove it. You don't need to take it all of the way out, your only trying to get it out of the way enough to let the forward edge of the rear quarter panel come out when you get to it.

Third, lay the rear seat forward and go to the back and remove the rear scuff plate and the tie down on the side of the rear quarter panel.

Fourth, starting at the front of the rear quarter panel pop it loose along the edge (with the panel tool) and then pull it loose from the top. Go around to the rear and pop the rear edge of the panel loose and then the remainder of the top. Pull it free from the bottom of the rear seat where it gets hung up on the edge of the seat and seat belt. I extended the seat belt and wrapped it around the seat to get it out of the way. The panel is pretty flexible and you can work it free.

Putting it back together is even easier, Everything just pop back into place, You'll know when its seated correctly, it just fits. Work the weather striping back into it's correct position and attach the rear scuff plate with the two screws and reinstall the tie down that you took off of the side of the Quarter panel.
leftrearqp-019.jpg   trailertow.jpg   trailertowb.jpg   trailertowc.jpg   trailertowd.jpg  

Unread 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And now the pretty pictures.
eleftrearqp-001.jpg   eleftrearqp-002.jpg   eleftrearqp-004.jpg   eleftrearqp-005.jpg   eleftrearqp-008.jpg  

Unread 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
deuce315

Thank You!
deuce315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
dropt_98_dakota

When I ordered our compas we got the trailer tow PREP package which is the engine oil cooler(installed) and wiring harness( not installed) the instructions that came with the wiring is simple no removal of inner panels is needed. The trailer tow prep package does not include the actual hitch.

If any would like a copy of the instructions I could scan and post them
dropt_98_dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropt_98_dakota
When I ordered our compas we got the trailer tow PREP package which is the engine oil cooler(installed) and wiring harness( not installed) the instructions that came with the wiring is simple no removal of inner panels is needed. The trailer tow prep package does not include the actual hitch.

If any would like a copy of the instructions I could scan and post them
Cool! Please post.

Unread 08-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
dropt_98_dakota

is there any way to post as an attachment directly from the computer or do I have to put in onto the web first
dropt_98_dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry, you need to be a supporting member before you can post an attachment. You can link to a website such as http://photobucket.com/ it's free and easy. or I can post it for you if you like. Send me a pm with your regular email address and I'll respond and then you can send it to me as an attachment and I'll post it for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/annou...t.php?f=48&a=5.

Thanks for the effort!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.