MK Lift Kit Available - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MK Lift Kit Available

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #61
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I just had my Speedo recalibrated. To early for exact figures but I think that it's dropped less than a mpg around town, but it did that in the cold weather last year also. I am expecting an increase on long highway cruises. I'd rather not commit to anything exact on that yet.

Just finished the alignment, too, I does handle nice, "feels" bigger, more like a midsized truck.

Acceleration hasn't noticeably changed. Time trials in a couple of weeks, weather permitting.

235/60-18, 29".

More info tomorrow and during the week to follow.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #62
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

First Driving impressions:

Things that I have changed recently to fit my own needs:

TSB 18-031-07 to enhance low end performance
Lift Kit
Changing tires from the Firestone High Performance All-Season to a Highway All-Season Truck Tire

Things that will affect this preliminary evaluation:

My gas mileage normally drops a little during cold weather; the tires are not broken in; 250 miles with the alignment half finished and only 20 miles with it being completely finished and having had the Speedometer recalibrated.

My mileage still seems to be with in the EPA ratings of 23 – 25 mpg. Some of the “sporty” feel has been exchanged for the feel of a midsized truck probably due to the higher center of gravity and truck tires. Food for thought: The strut stabilizers could bring some of that back along with a larger anti-sway bar if they become available and possibly different back spacing on the rims or wheel spacers to give it a wider stance. Also different Struts and Springs if they become available.

Foot note; Some of the pieces from the caliber SRT4 may be usable on the MK's The SRT4 is a monster. We mean that in a rabid Cookie Monster kinda way -- not that cute little potty-mouthed Binky seen in early Caliber commercials. This car is mean. It does away with an inch of suspension travel, with stiffer springs, dampers and stabilizer bars front and rear and gets dropped onto 19-inch, low-profile 225/45 Goodyears for a ride that is anything but cuddly. It's also down to 280 hp from the original 300 hp. A lower pressure waste gate could drop it down to 225 - 240 hp, may be usable with the CVT2's.

It’s not that I consider any of this “bad”, it’s what I was expecting, but for those that like the “car” feeling you need to be aware that you are making some major changes. For my purposes I consider these to be enhancements for better trail, camping and winter driving conditions and lower rpm at highway speed theoretically increasing mpg on long trips along with the more aggressive looks.

Changes in Final drive ratios:

This is done by dividing the original tire size by the replacement tire size times the factory ratio. I used 27.3” as original tire size for the 5 Speed and the FD I and a 28” was used as the original tire size for the FD II; 29” was used as the replacement tire on all of these calculations.

See here for optional tire sizes: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=76
And here for factory ratios: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ratios-cvt2-vs-5-speed-395153/

The 5 Speed goes from 15.53 to 14.60 in 1st gear and from 3.34 to 3.14 for the final drive.
The CVT2 goes from 14.37 to 13.50 in low and from 2.41 to 2.27 for final drive.
The FD II goes from 19.14 to 18.48 in low and 3.21 to 3.09 for final drive ratio.

You can see from these figures that the 5 Speed and the CVT2 will lose a little bit of off line performance which may hurt your mpg around town but may improve it for highway mpg.

I would actually expect to see a slight improvement on both mpg’s for the FD II but you will be sacrificing some of your crawl ratio.

One last note, the dealers have the ability on the older Jeeps to reprogram the Speedos by revolutions per mile of the replace tires, not so for the MK’s, the only calibrations that they are able to perform are with one of the factory sized tire available. Therefore, your 29’ tires will be recalibrated for the 28’s, 215/65-17, that are available as optional on the Patriot or standard on the FD II. This means that your speedo will still be reading 1 mph slow at 30, 2 mph at 60 and 3 mph at 90. This could change in the months/years to come as they get more information in their scan tools. I can live with that.

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #63
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Out of courtesy to Glenn and the others at Rocky Road Outfitters for having the initiative to bring this product to market I am not posting actual pictures at this time. What I am posting is the instructions to R & R the front and rear strut assemblies and the upper control arm, no special tools required. Once you have their kit it will be quite evident what needs to be changed. I will say that the quality of these pieces will hold up for the life of your Jeep. The kit comes with all necessary pieces to do the conversion and some instructions that include the specs for wheel alignment. My Techs at the Dealership also worked out a complete set of alignment specks that I will send to those that need them. I am scanning them into pdf format tomorrow, if you need them send me a pm or email.

If you have enough confidence in your abilities to follow these instruction then you can install this lift kit from Rocky Road.

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #64
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Front Strut Assembly REMOVAL

Front Strut Assembly REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle. (Fig. 1, lift points)

2. Remove the wheel mounting nuts (3), then the tire and wheel assembly (1).
NOTE: If both strut assemblies are to be removed, mark the strut assemblies right or left and keep the parts separated to avoid mix-up. Not all parts of the strut assembly are interchangeable side-to-side. (Fig. 2, 19mm @ 100ft. lbs./135 N.m)

3. Remove the screw (1) securing the flex hose (2) routing bracket to the strut (6). (Fig. 3, 13 mm @ 120 in. lbs./13N.m)

4. While holding the stabilizer bar link (1) stud stationary, remove the nut (4) securing the link to the strut (3). (Fig.4, 3/16 Allen, 15 mm @ 43 Ft. Lbs./58 N.m; reinstall with part from kit.)
CAUTION: The strut assembly-to-knuckle attaching bolts (5) are serrated and must not be turned during removal. Hold the bolts stationary in the knuckle while removing the nuts, then tap the bolts out using a pin punch.

5. While holding the bolt heads stationary, remove the two nuts (2) from the bolts (5) attaching the strut (3) to the knuckle (6). (Fig.4, 13/16 or 21 mm @ 62 Ft. Lbs./84 N.m; reinstall with part from kit.)

6. Remove the two bolts (5) attaching the strut (3) to the knuckle (6) using a pin punch.

7. Lower the vehicle just enough to open the hood without allowing the tires to touch the floor.

8. Remove the three nuts (1) attaching the strut assembly (2) upper mount to the strut tower. (Fig. 5, 15 mm @ 35 Ft. Lbs./48 N.m)

9. Remove the strut assembly (2) from the vehicle.

10. INSTALL in reverse sequence.
fig1a.jpg   fig2a.jpg   fig3a.jpg   fig4a.jpg   fig5a.jpg  

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #65
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Rear Strut Assembly REMOVAL

Rear Strut Assembly REMOVAL

11. Remove the cargo floor cover. (not shown)

12. Remove the rear floor pan silencer (1). (Fig. 6)

13. If equipped, remove the nuts mounting the satellite receiver (1) or amplifier (2) to rear floor pan. Move the component aside to allow access to the shock assembly upper mounting nuts through the opening in the bottom of the quarter trim panel. (Fig. 7, I found this unnecessary)

14. Remove the spare tire.

15. Fold the shock assembly upper mounting nut access door (2) upward. Use this opening and the one (1) created when the rear floor pan silencer was removed to access the upper mounting nuts in the following step. (Fig. 8, Slit the 2 tabs to fold; my drivers side broke off completely. It can be taped back into place but it is covered by the cargo floor cover.) (Fig 8)

16. Remove the two nuts (1) securing the shock assembly (2) to the body bracket (3). (Fig 9, 15 mm, 35 ft. lbs./48 N•m )

17. Raise and support the vehicle. (see step 1.)

18. Remove the wheel mounting nuts (3), then the rear tire and wheel assembly (1). (see step 2.)

19. Remove the shock lower mounting nut (3) and bolt (1). (Fig 10, 18 mm, 73 ft. lbs./99 N•m)
fig-6a.jpg   fig-7a.jpg   fig-8a.jpg   fig-9a.jpg   fig-10a.jpg  

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #66
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Rear Struts Cont.

20. Lower the shock assembly (2) out of the body bracket (1) and lift out over rear suspension. (Fig 11)

Upper Control Arm, Remove and Replace with part in kit

21. Remove the nut (4) and bolt (3) securing the upper control arm (1) to the trailing link. (Fig 12)

22. Remove the bolt (2) securing the upper control arm (1) to the crossmember.

23. Remove the upper control arm (1).

INSTALLATION With alignment rack/drive-on lift

24. Position the upper control arm (1) and install the bolt (2) securing the arm to the crossmember. Do not tighten at this time.

25. Install the bolt (3) and nut (4) securing the upper control arm (1) to the trailing link. Do not tighten at this time.

26. Insert the lower end of the shock assembly (2) down though the lower control arm from above just enough to clear the body, then lift it up into the body bracket (1).

27. Install the mounting bolt (1) and nut (3) fastening the shock assembly (2) to the lower control arm (4). Do not tighten at this time.

28. Install the tire and wheel assembly (1) Install and tighten the wheel mounting nuts (3). (see step 2).

29. Lower the vehicle.

NOTE: Use the openings (1, 2) in the interior rear quarter trim panel when installing the upper mounting nuts in the following step.

30. Install the two nuts (1) securing the shock assembly (2) to the body bracket (3). (15 mm, 35 ft. lbs/48 N•m).

31. Fold the shock assembly upper mounting nut access door (2) down closing off the opening.

32. If equipped, install the satellite receiver (1) or amplifier (2) to rear floor pan.

33. Install the rear floor pan silencer (1).

34. Install the cargo floor cover.

35. Position the vehicle on an alignment rack/drive-on lift. Raise the lift as necessary to access the shock mounting bolt (1) and nut (3).

36. Tighten the shock assembly lower mounting bolt nut (3). (18 mm, 73 ft. lbs./99 N•m)

37. Tighten the upper control arm mounting bolt at the crossmember. (17 mm, 70 ft. lbs./95 N•m).

38. Tighten the upper control arm mounting bolt nut at the trailing link to (17 mm, 70 ft. lbs./95 N•m).

39. Perform wheel alignment.
fig-11a.jpg   fig-12a.jpg  

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #67
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

ALTERNATE INSTALLATION with Jack Stands and Service Jack.

ALTERNATE INSTALLATION with Jack Stands and Service Jack.

24. Position the upper control arm (1) and install the bolt (2) securing the arm to the crossmember. Do not tighten at this time.

25. Install the bolt (3) and nut (4) securing the upper control arm (1) to the trailing link. Do not tighten at this time.

26. Insert the lower end of the shock assembly (2) down though the lower control arm from above just enough to clear the body, then lift it up into the body bracket (1).

27. Install the mounting bolt (1) and nut (3) fastening the shock assembly (2) to the lower control arm (4). Do not tighten at this time. You may need a 2x4 on edge and the service jack to compress the shock up into the control arm. Also a short pry bar and tapered punch to align the mounting holes.

NOTE: Use the openings (1, 2) in the interior rear quarter trim panel when installing the upper mounting nuts in the following step.

28. Install the two nuts (1) securing the shock assembly (2) to the body bracket (3). (15 mm, 35 ft. lbs/48 N•m).

29. Using a Service Jack placed under the Lower Control Arm, raise the jack just enough to fully compress the strut assemble but not enough to lift the vehicle.

30. Tighten both of the upper control arm mounting bolts. (17 mm, 70 ft. lbs./95 N•m).

31. Tighten the shock assembly lower mounting bolt nut (3). (18 mm, 73 ft. lbs./99 N•m)

32. Install the tire and wheel assembly (1) Install and tighten the wheel mounting nuts (3). (see step 2).

33. Remove Jack stands and lower the vehicle.

34. Fold the shock assembly upper mounting nut access door (2) down closing off the opening.

35. If equipped, install the satellite receiver (1) or amplifier (2) to rear floor pan.

36. Install the rear floor pan silencer (1).

37. Install the cargo floor cover.

38. Perform wheel alignment.

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #68
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My opinion on 29" tires.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=94

Unread 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #69
dueller

hey gramps,used your set of instructions to lift my 07 compass north,YOU ROCK,better pics than rocky road,all went well doin alignment in the morning.

dueller,ontario,canada
dueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #70
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dueller
hey gramps,used your set of instructions to lift my 07 compass north,YOU ROCK,better pics than rocky road,all went well doin alignment in the morning.

dueller,ontario,canada
Thanks . I just emailed you the alignment specs that we used on mine. Give us some feed back when you get adjusted to it.

Unread 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #71
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Have you seen the new pics at Rocky Road?
rrpatriota.jpg   rrpatriot5a.jpg  

Unread 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #72
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Have you seen the new pics at Rocky Road?
Gramps, you're Famous!
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #73
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax
Gramps, you're inFamous!

isnt' THIS what you meant?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #74
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It depends on which side of the fence you're on. Another 15 minutes of fame/shame, another footnote in my memoirs.

Unread 12-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #75
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Gramps, nice setup ya got there

do you actually get less RPM at speed than before? I wondered if the computer likes a particular RPM at cruise and adjusts the CVT to get it.

Tags
compass , lift , lift kit , mk , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.