MK Lift Kit Available - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > MK Lift Kit Available

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #16
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Like Nick said... RR has about the worst customer service rep in the industry.

Unread 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The "other" Jeep site is doing a lot of correspondence with them and they appear to be very attentive with working out any problems. Sometimes things change for the better. Right now they are the only game in town for these kits and the Compass hit the market 15 months ago. Ya pays yer nickle and takes yer chances. I've been lucky so far.

A few notes:
This kit = wheel alignment.
New wheels/tires = wheel alignment.

Taller tires = even more GC.
Taller tires = less bottom end.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The "other" Jeep site is doing a lot of correspondence with them and they appear to be very attentive with working out any problems. Sometimes things change for the better. Right now they are the only game in town for these kits and the Compass hit the market 15 months ago. Ya pays yer nickle and takes yer chances. I've been lucky so far.

A few notes:
This kit = wheel alignment.
New wheels/tires = wheel alignment.

Taller tires = even more GC.
Taller tires = less bottom end.
They probably realize how badly they've screwed up their Rep with the Wrangler/CJ crowd and are trying not to make the same mistake with this product. But it bears watching for all of you MK guys, because they may not have changed their ways, they may just not have gotten enough $$ out of you to ignore you yet.

My biggest fear with a MK would be hauling the bigger meat around. I'm following this closely, as I'm looking for a higher-MPG replacement vehicle for my DD Sentra, but I don't think I could deal with the height of a bone-stock Patriot down the road. But you get some 31's under them, and you might be able to get modified KJ-level performance out of a Patriot... And I could live with that for a 2nd or 3rd Jeep.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble... But...

RRO has what appears to be a similar spacer lift for the KJ. Another Unibody SUV with an independent Suspension (though only in front...). From what I read, there's no end of problems with this lift. While I can't be sure that the MK lift will have the same problems, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Independent suspensions cause no end of problems with lifts, so just know that you'll be a one of the first, and you'll be the one who has to fix the problems when they crop up.

I'd think long and hard before I tried anything to my MK. I'd hate to be replacing Struts and Ball Joints in a couple months just to be the first kid on the block with a lifted one.
Unread 11-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Someone has to be first. It might as well be me.

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax
My biggest fear with a MK would be hauling the bigger meat around. I'm following this closely, as I'm looking for a higher-MPG replacement vehicle for my DD Sentra, but I don't think I could deal with the height of a bone-stock Patriot down the road. But you get some 31's under them, and you might be able to get modified KJ-level performance out of a Patriot... And I could live with that for a 2nd or 3rd Jeep.
31's just ain't gonna happen. This kit does not change the location of the strut spring perch which is right over the tire. (Go here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=63 ) It would take a 2 1/4 wheel spacer to clear it with the inner edge of the tire (measured straight up). That was a disappointment to me, I was also hoping for 31's. The tallest that I will recommend is a 29" and that doesn't leave much room for travel. Still, I may try something stupid just to see if it works.

Worse case scenario is that it's not worth it, I put everything back to stock and call it a day. At least with this kit it's something to start with and for the price of it I'm willing to tweak it however I need to before giving up.

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I may try something stupid just to see if it works.
how we learn from our own mistakes and from others. atleast i do.

i talked to RR customer service and asked about tire size, they told me that the tires on the patriot thats pictured on their site are 225/75 16 so its 29". either way still looks better than stock.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
how we learn from our own mistakes and from others. atleast i do.

i talked to RR customer service and asked about tire size, they told me that the tires on the patriot thats pictured on their site are 225/75 16 so its 29". either way still looks better than stock.
If so, and you have the 15" wheels, then you should be able to use a factory Wrangler GS/A on one, that's what my Wrangler came standard with, might be pretty cheap thataway if you wanna skimp a little.
Unread 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Don't know if it's true with all 15's but reading elsewhere they had trouble with the 15's fitting the calipers properly.

Unread 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
If so, and you have the 15" wheels, then you should be able to use a factory Wrangler GS/A on one, that's what my Wrangler came standard with, might be pretty cheap thataway if you wanna skimp a little.
got the 17s and plan on goin 225/65/17.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #26
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't know if it's true with all 15's but reading elsewhere they had trouble with the 15's fitting the calipers properly.
On the Liberty, you can fit a Crager Steel 15, but not a Aluminum 15" wheel, which is thicker. Wouldn't surprise me if that's why some 15's fit, and others don't.
Unread 11-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #27
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
31's just ain't gonna happen. This kit does not change the location of the strut spring perch which is right over the tire. (Go here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=63 ) It would take a 2 1/4 wheel spacer to clear it with the inner edge of the tire (measured straight up). That was a disappointment to me, I was also hoping for 31's. The tallest that I will recommend is a 29" and that doesn't leave much room for travel. Still, I may try something stupid just to see if it works.

Worse case scenario is that it's not worth it, I put everything back to stock and call it a day. At least with this kit it's something to start with and for the price of it I'm willing to tweak it however I need to before giving up.
I just wanted to relay the information, you're right, someone's got to be first.

I imagine that at some point, a kit will come out with replacement struts. 29" just seems awfully small, though I suppose I'll have to see one in person.
Unread 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #28
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A lady at work parked next to me with 235/60-18's (29's) on Santa Fe. Quite a step up from my 215/55-18's (27.3"), looked VERY nice. The problem that I'm having is that I don't care for any of the tires of that size in meeting my needs for all seasons, so I maybe going with a 225/60-18 (28.6"). I did have (stupid) thoughts of 255/55-18's (29's) but they are just too wide. Spacers won't help because even with the stock tires I only have 1/2" to the edge of the front finder well. With the 255's and a 1" spacer the edge of the tire would be almost 2" past the wheel well and there are no fender flairs available. I also don't know if moving the wheels out and going 29" if they might rub in a turn.

16" & 17" wheels have a better selection of tread design than the 18's.

Even with the 225's and the lift kit I'll end up with over 11" GC. Good enough for me!

NOTE: I've ordered the 235/60VR18 Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 from the Tire Rack. I wanted to go with a truck tire as opposed to a Grand Touring car tire. Some day I hope to get the chance to do some light off-roading. I'll also be keeping track of off-line performance, 0 - 60 mph times and MPG.

Unread 11-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #29
NoNamesLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax

So uh, how high do you have your Sentra lifted? You must have a pretty insane commute each day. You do know that the Patriot is a Crossover right?
NoNamesLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #30
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNamesLeft
So uh, how high do you have your Sentra lifted? You must have a pretty insane commute each day. You do know that the Patriot is a Crossover right?
That's a "friendly" question, right?? I'm glad to see that some "almost" fans are being created. It's taken a while to get some cool aftermarket stuff available. I think interest will pick up when we start "Jeepin" our Jeeps!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.