Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

MK Lift Kit Available

71K views 285 replies 50 participants last post by  harv65 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just ordered mine. It a 2 1/8 lift, comes complete with everything except the alignment and bigger tires! Thanks for finding that. They did say that they had not tried it on a Compass. No worries about that!

:2thumbsup:

#4 ·
I always do a photo shoot :thumbsup: , because I can :D . This should add a lot for the TR worthiness even without the rock crawler ratio. It'll be nice to have 10.5" GC. Skid plates or tires next. :confused: Decisions, decisions, all before it gets too cold.:chilly:

#6 ·
Did you say gin? :rofl: I'm glad they're finally getting you guys some stuff. I am going the opposite direction with my caliber though, sorry! :D

#7 ·
its about time that someone had a lift for the MK. i have bought other lifts from RR and never had a problem. i would rate their CS as top notch and were always helpful when i had ?'s. will def be buying this before the years end.

#11 ·
ajadams said:
The links don't work.
The links don't work because of the auto censor. They link to another Jeep site that some of it's members have been less than hospitable towards the Compass because of either the sheet metal or because it was not available with a TR package, to which I might add, Rocky Roads did this lift on a FWD Patriot so your looking at 10" GC on that model.

They also found out that you can't run wider tires than a 235 without wheel spacers as we noted in out "Bigger Tires" thread and that is also the case with 15" wheels.

The just of the conversations were a rubbing type of noise that had to do with the ABS and a little bump steer which have both been corrected. The realignment is critical so don't over look having it done.

RockyRoad said:
The noises were actually the ABS system feathering the brakes during hard corners and such. We've been able to get it all sorted out though and have done our best to rally the thing to get it to happen again. No problems so its all good to go.

The bumpsteer issue has been eliminated as well.

Jeep didn't build this thing to be lifted as they have with the Wrangler and others. We've outsmarted their engineers on this though. As with the Liberty, it might take a few years for modifying the Patriot to catch on... but we feel folks who buy this Jeep over any other similar styled vehicle have a bit of a spirit in them that may not be able to tolerate "bone-stock" for too long.

Still looking for a 4WD model in the Wasatch Front area (Utah) if anyone wants a free lift and Rockrails.
Anybody available can contact http://www.rocky-road.com/

Here are some pics from Rocky Road. Unfortunately no side by side or before and after. The first is their Rockrails.

Attachments

#15 ·
I was just showing off my Pat, with new Strut Tower Brace installed, to my buddy over the weekend. First thing he said was, "How high are you gonna lift it?". Sadly, I replied, "They don't make an aftermarket lift kit yet. The stuff you see is all OEM."

This is great news! Can't wait to see how it goes.

#17 ·
The "other" Jeep site is doing a lot of correspondence with them and they appear to be very attentive with working out any problems. Sometimes things change for the better. Right now they are the only game in town for these kits and the Compass hit the market 15 months ago. Ya pays yer nickle and takes yer chances. I've been lucky so far.

A few notes:
This kit = wheel alignment.
New wheels/tires = wheel alignment.

Taller tires = even more GC.
Taller tires = less bottom end.

#184 ·
A few notes:

some great advice from "Gramps" that is worth reposting.....:cheers2:

but also keep in mind the weight of changing wheels and adding 'Taller tires', as that will also affect your performance, MPG's and every day wear & tear on your powertrain. adding just a few pounds per wheel (7-8lbs) won't be near as stressful over time as the 40lbs+ i've seen. :eek:

#18 ·
Gramps said:
The "other" Jeep site is doing a lot of correspondence with them and they appear to be very attentive with working out any problems. Sometimes things change for the better. Right now they are the only game in town for these kits and the Compass hit the market 15 months ago. Ya pays yer nickle and takes yer chances. I've been lucky so far.

A few notes:

They probably realize how badly they've screwed up their Rep with the Wrangler/CJ crowd and are trying not to make the same mistake with this product. But it bears watching for all of you MK guys, because they may not have changed their ways, they may just not have gotten enough $$ out of you to ignore you yet.

My biggest fear with a MK would be hauling the bigger meat around. I'm following this closely, as I'm looking for a higher-MPG replacement vehicle for my DD Sentra, but I don't think I could deal with the height of a bone-stock Patriot down the road. But you get some 31's under them, and you might be able to get modified KJ-level performance out of a Patriot... And I could live with that for a 2nd or 3rd Jeep.

#19 ·
Don't want to burst anyone's bubble... But...

RRO has what appears to be a similar spacer lift for the KJ. Another Unibody SUV with an independent Suspension (though only in front...). From what I read, there's no end of problems with this lift. While I can't be sure that the MK lift will have the same problems, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Independent suspensions cause no end of problems with lifts, so just know that you'll be a one of the first, and you'll be the one who has to fix the problems when they crop up.

I'd think long and hard before I tried anything to my MK. I'd hate to be replacing Struts and Ball Joints in a couple months just to be the first kid on the block with a lifted one.

#21 ·
ASUsax said:
My biggest fear with a MK would be hauling the bigger meat around. I'm following this closely, as I'm looking for a higher-MPG replacement vehicle for my DD Sentra, but I don't think I could deal with the height of a bone-stock Patriot down the road. But you get some 31's under them, and you might be able to get modified KJ-level performance out of a Patriot... And I could live with that for a 2nd or 3rd Jeep.
31's just ain't gonna happen. This kit does not change the location of the strut spring perch which is right over the tire. (Go here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4069457&postcount=63 ) It would take a 2 1/4 wheel spacer to clear it with the inner edge of the tire (measured straight up). That was a disappointment to me, I was also hoping for 31's. The tallest that I will recommend is a 29" and that doesn't leave much room for travel. Still, I may try something stupid just to see if it works. :D

Worse case scenario is that it's not worth it, I put everything back to stock and call it a day. At least with this kit it's something to start with and for the price of it I'm willing to tweak it however I need to before giving up.

#22 ·
Gramps said:
I may try something stupid just to see if it works. :D
how we learn from our own mistakes and from others. atleast i do. :cheers2:

i talked to RR customer service and asked about tire size, they told me that the tires on the patriot thats pictured on their site are 225/75 16 so its 29". either way still looks better than stock.

#23 ·
07compasssport said:
how we learn from our own mistakes and from others. atleast i do. :cheers2:

i talked to RR customer service and asked about tire size, they told me that the tires on the patriot thats pictured on their site are 225/75 16 so its 29". either way still looks better than stock.
:rofl: If so, and you have the 15" wheels, then you should be able to use a factory Wrangler GS/A on one, that's what my Wrangler came standard with, might be pretty cheap thataway if you wanna skimp a little.

#25 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
:rofl: If so, and you have the 15" wheels, then you should be able to use a factory Wrangler GS/A on one, that's what my Wrangler came standard with, might be pretty cheap thataway if you wanna skimp a little.
got the 17s and plan on goin 225/65/17.

#26 ·
Gramps said:
Don't know if it's true with all 15's but reading elsewhere they had trouble with the 15's fitting the calipers properly.
On the Liberty, you can fit a Crager Steel 15, but not a Aluminum 15" wheel, which is thicker. Wouldn't surprise me if that's why some 15's fit, and others don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.