Minor AV Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Minor AV Upgrade

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Minor AV Upgrade

Never been one to leave well enough alone...lol

Swapped out my factory deck for a JVC DV6200, which I'm verrrry happy with. Handles pretty much any media format you can throw at it, alllows me iPod and USB Drive integration.

Since a DVD capable deck is nothing without screens, I've also added a pair of 7.8" LCD widescreens in the form of replacement sunvisors (a tight fit!).

Other mods:
Front Door Speakers are now RCA 6.5" woofers/mid, while the Dash got the matching component RCA tweeter pods.
Rear Door Speakers are now RCA 6x9" 4-ways
A big improvement over stock sound!

Pics:

iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Pretty cool! One question that's been out there is how do you get the radio panel off. I could be wrong but it looks like you had to do that.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Oh I'm sure there's a need for a detailed install guide.. as I found none!!

Only wish I would have had my camera along at the time...

What I can tell you in the meantime, is that the top dash panel (where the OEM GPS unit would mount: see mopar catalogue) is tricky, but involves only pop rivets. Use a panel pulling tool to pop the rivets on the side and they pull up from the front (windshield end). There is a tongue and groove style fitting holding the front portion in. Once this top panel is off, you'll see the Compass (if installed) and two hex screws. After you pull these hex screws off, it becomes intuitive.

But I'll do an install guide if desired? I could have it all apart again within 20mins.
Unread 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrone
Oh I'm sure there's a need for a detailed install guide.. as I found none!!

Only wish I would have had my camera along at the time...

What I can tell you in the meantime, is that the top dash panel (where the OEM GPS unit would mount: see mopar catalogue) is tricky, but involves only pop rivets. Use a panel pulling tool to pop the rivets on the side and they pull up from the front (windshield end). There is a tongue and groove style fitting holding the front portion in. Once this top panel is off, you'll see the Compass (if installed) and two hex screws. After you pull these hex screws off, it becomes intuitive.

But I'll do an install guide if desired? I could have it all apart again within 20mins.
Lynn and several others have been interested in how to pull the Radio out. We've been waiting on the Service Manual to come out in hopes of finding the information in it but they are still on back order. I'm sure that any help, especially with pics, would be appreciated!

Other questions that I've thought up:

Are those screens wired or ???. If wired, how did you run the wires?

When you say "pop rivets" I think of the aluminum pop rivets for sheet metal. Are these the little "push pin" plastic things? Sorry if I'm sounding dumb but nomenclature changes like the wind.

Last edited by Gramps; 02-21-2007 at 12:51 PM..
Unread 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Jason31

If anyone needs pictures of something taken apart and put together a small write-up, I can do that. We have a nice Nikon digital camera that can take good pictures and I have no problem taking things apart, I actually enjoy it.
Unread 02-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason31
If anyone needs pictures of something taken apart and put together a small write-up, I can do that. We have a nice Nikon digital camera that can take good pictures and I have no problem taking things apart, I actually enjoy it.
Thanks for the offer Jason. I wouldn't want to ask anybody to take something apart that may have the tendency to get broken or scratched unless they've done it before. I just wouldn't want something gone bad to be on my conscience! Maybe others could contact you through a pm?

Unread 02-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

I dont' have a problem with it either, but if you'd like to do it Jason, that's cool, as my digital camera is getting up there in age

However, if anyone is interested, I'll explain how to go about wiring the deck without using a CANBUS interface, by taping the cig. lighter (+)? I'll check the codes.

If you want to colaborate Jason, let me know. I'm going to get out and clean it inside tonight so I'll get some details.

Oh and Gramps, the aluminum clips are is what I was refering to, not sure what the heck they are called

The screens are wired, and the wire is run through the swing arm of the visor, up into the head liner and down the A-pillar. Removing the little square access panel on the pillar allows the screw holding the pillar to be removed....careful of your side air bag
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

iamrone and Jason

Sounds like you guys have a handle on this. Go for it, I'll just watch

and

Unread 02-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Jason31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Thanks for the offer Jason. I wouldn't want to ask anybody to take something apart that may have the tendency to get broken or scratched unless they've done it before. I just wouldn't want something gone bad to be on my conscience! Maybe others could contact you through a pm?
Have taken apart many interiors, think I can get the job done without breaking anything. "think" may be the key word here though...
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
Jason31

I can do the dash uninstall if you'd like and you can do the wiring, since you actually dug into that part?
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

lol, I got a little ahead of myself!

I started a post for aftermarket radios, but my pics are terrible! So if you want, keep the text and hack the pics!

I'm just going to do a little blurb on the wire tap now.

Colaboration
Unread 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Jason31

Nice, I think that is a great post! If anyone needs more than that we'll go from their,but I think that fits the bill fine. No real need for high quality pictures, those are plenty clear.
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
SpeedRhysr

Do the stereo functions on the stearing column still work.
SpeedRhysr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #14
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

The short answer is no (for above install), but with the proper adapters (CANBUS interface kits) it's possible

see: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378453, last post will link you to manufacturer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.