Mileage Problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Mileage Problem

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Discretion IS the better part of valor.
Nicely put. Gas may be over $3 per gallon, but it's still less expensive than a divorce.

Don't ask me how I know this.

BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Nicely put. Gas may be over $3 per gallon, but it's still less expensive than a divorce.

Don't ask me how I know this.
I know... brother, I know.

Thankfully my current wife (2nd and last )is a real sweetheart, so the whole gas mileage thing is just playful banter.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #18
BuzzDog

I was hopeful that my mileage would increase with the warmer weather, but was disappointed to get "only" 21.7 mpg out of my last tank. However, yesterday I drove from Bentonville, Arkansas to Joplin, Missouri - about 120 miles round-trip. At the end of the first leg of the trip (downhill) the EVIC was showing 26.3 mpg; by the time I had driven back up the mountains to get home, my mileage had dropped to 24.6 mpg.

Sure, I wish it were better, but one of my buddies owns a Liberty, and he would give anything to get over 18 mpg. In almost six months, I've put only 5,600 miles on the odometer...but I don't expect any dramatic improvements with more miles on the clock. Unlike the old days, engines in new cars no longer seem to "loosen up" after 5,000 to 10,000 miles of driving.
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #19
snikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I approached my wife on the same topic. Didn't go over too well at all. Then in the course of a conversation about 2 weeks later she mentioned that my Compass gets off the line a lot quicker than her GC and she has to watch her speed a lot more closely on the main roads because she just doesn't realize how fast she's going. My advice...just pay for the gas, silence is golden.
Very true. Just pay at the pumps and forget it.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Paser00

Is it just me or is it kind strange that you have to learn how to drive the compass. Just a thought.
Paser00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The CVT is different. You don't have to force it to do anything. Just let it pick the right ratio for a smooth acceleration. Does that make sense? Is your mpg still low?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #22
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

If it helps you or makes you feel any better, a guy on Caliber forums was getting 81L/100KM at one point.
Unread 05-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Maybe this will help. I actually paid attention to rpm’s and what not on a normal drive home. On the back roads where traffic is light, I take off at about 2200-2500 rpm, let it accelerate up to about 40 mph and that’s about where there is a “gear” change and I cruise at about 1900-2000prm @ 40-45 mph. Where I’m pulling out on the busier roads, I take off any where from 2800-3500 rpm to get into traffic that’s going between 45 and 60 mph depending on location, timing, etc. RPM starts sliding back at about 40 mph and by the time I’m up to 60 mph my rpm has fallen back to about 1800-2000. Driving threw my little town with a stop sign every block, I just take it up to 1500-1800 rpm and that all that I need. I don’t know if this is about average for others or not. There are also times when I hot rod . I generally get about 26 mpg, even up to about 28 in the summer.

Unread 05-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #24
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

That's basically what I find myself doing, and I use cruise exclusively!
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #25
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
If it helps you or makes you feel any better, a guy on Caliber forums was getting 81L/100KM at one point.
THREE (3) mpg?!? Hey...that thing got a Hemi?

With the price of gas these days, I've changed my EVIC from the temperature/compass to the mpg display. Probably doesn't do a bit of good, but maybe it'll make me think a bit about my driving habits. I'm still not getting the mileage that Gramps does; I'm hard pressed to break 23 or 24 mpg. But then, I only live six miles from the office.

But then again, I probably shouldn't complain. I'm doing better than the guy on the Caliber forum...HIS mileage would cost me $14 a day just to commute.
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #26
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
That really doesn't sound right! A fill up every 40 miles or so? Did he leave out the decimal point and it should have been 8.1/100KM? That would be 29 mpg.

Unread 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #27
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Nope, he had a screenshot of it, he was stuck in a traffic jam idling along at a slow speed for a good long wh ile I think.
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #28
BuzzDog

Quote:
Nope, he had a screenshot of it, he was stuck in a traffic jam idling along at a slow speed for a good long while I think.
Okay...that makes more sense. He must've reset the EVIC right before he got stuck in traffic.

Speaking of which, I sometimes wish that the EVIC had a "screen" that gave instant mpg readings.
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #29
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a girl thing....

I know you all are groaning, but it's not a girl thing-it's a driver thing. Yes, unfortunately, we all (men and women alike) get too anamoured with the old gas pedal from time to time, but all of us can learn, and might I add, be really well acquainted with the concept of anticipating traffic, coasting, etc. There are a few of us ladies that won't drive an auto, and will only drive a manual transmission. I myself prefer the control and performance. I have to say that my 08 Patriot has the smoothest shifing 5 speed I've ever driven. I just traded my 05 Xterra 6spd for it. The Xterra shifted well, but I always had to work really hard not to bounce the clutch during shifting (and I've been driving manuals for almost 20 years). This clutch is seamless, which is really nice. So come on guys, give us girls a break!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
Jeepster55

the CVTII trans DOES take some getting used to, no matter whether you're going from a manual trans (6sp Wrangler Unlimited for me) or an automatic.

after playing around with my Compass for a few days, i now tend to watch my tach more than my speedo. in the city, on take offs, i do my best to keep the RPM's under 2K and on the Interstate, keep my acceleration under 3K. of course there will always be some exceptions, but these are the guidelines i follow and on my 1100 mile round trip from Indy to KC over Thanksgiving weekend, i got over 30 MPG during the trip itself and Averaged over 26 for the entire 1100 miles.......i'm happy!

Note: i now have 2,200 miles on my Compass since November 12th, when i purchased it. it DID have 206 miles on it when i got it (dealer trade), but i put 70 miles/day on it to and from work......like i said, i'm happy!!!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.