Mileage Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Mileage Problem

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Paser00

Mileage Problem

I have had my compass now for about two weeks and I love it. However I haven't notice great strides in MPG that i was hoping. Over the past two weeks, I have only be getting 15 miles per gallon. So far it has all been city driving and I understand that sitting in traffic will reduce my MPG. I have a Mazda 6 with a 6 cylander, and I get at least 17 on the same commute. Is this a problem that will go away once the car has been broken in or is it a sign of a more serious problem.

Paser00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I does sound pretty sad, even the early reviews by the "professionals" said that they were getting 17 - 21. Sounds like you're losing about 5 gallons a fill up.

I want to ask questions like: how many miles on it so far, any chance to take it out on the freeway or just get out of town to get the speed up to 60 or so and with gas prices up is there a thief in your neighborhood? If it doesn't start to do better I would think about having the dealer run a diagnostic just to check it out.

BTW, the locking gas cap is a Stant 11508, same as used on most Jeeps from 2002 on up that are the 1/4 turn model.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Paser00

It only has 310 miles on it now. I am going to take a trip up to Albany this weekend. Maybe after a good three hour drive, it will finally losen up. I've been waiting almost 3 weeks for a part for my satellite radio. If I still have a problem I'll have them look at it when I finally get the radio installed.
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

not 100% sure, but 310 miles isnt a good sample mileage amount- first few hundred on mine, i was at like 24.7, went way down to about 21.3, now its back up to about 23.8, i have 3350 miles now
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Average mileage by month since purchase.

Dec 2006 21.87
Jan 2007 22.68
Feb 2007 22.47
Mar 2007 23.04
Apr 2007 23.49
May 2007 23.88

That's every drop of gas since I bought it... I drive in a suburban environment so I'm probably going to be a little higher than city driving. Your's sounds awfully low to me, I'd have a dealer check it out if it doesn't improve.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
djp_63

I have been staying steady at 27-28 mpg on my FWD 2.4 CVT Patriot. I would be very upset to be getting the mileage of a Liberty.
djp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Paser00

Just got back from my Albany trip. Mileage was much better. I averaged about 26 mpg. I guess the local driving here is bad enough to really kill the mpg. Hopefully with next fill up the city mpg will be a little better
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
decimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paser00
Just got back from my Albany trip. Mileage was much better. I averaged about 26 mpg. I guess the local driving here is bad enough to really kill the mpg. Hopefully with next fill up the city mpg will be a little better
If I may ask some questions...

Which engine and transmission do you have?

How bad was the traffic on the Thruway?

I don't have a Patriot or similar but from what I've read the CVT model has to be driven correctly to get best mileage. If I have it right, pushing down on the gas pedal from stops is a mileage killer. Smooth acceleration seems to be the trick.

I should soon be corrected if the above advice is not correct.
decimon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Glad to hear that! It's the best news that I've had all day!

Unread 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
djp_63

It would be true of any car that was driven with a heavy foot; gas mileage will suffer. I have adapted to the CVT in my Patriot and rarely ever have to rev it up to get moving. It is quite smooth and keeps up with traffic as well as any car. There is no need to rev it up near 6k rpm, and I have only done it once to see what it would do. I think this 3000 pound vehicle performs well with only a 4 cylinder to move it, and the CVT is what makes it possible.
Unread 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp_63
It would be true of any car that was driven with a heavy foot; gas mileage will suffer. I have adapted to the CVT in my Patriot and rarely ever have to rev it up to get moving. It is quite smooth and keeps up with traffic as well as any car. There is no need to rev it up near 6k rpm, and I have only done it once to see what it would do. I think this 3000 pound vehicle performs well with only a 4 cylinder to move it, and the CVT is what makes it possible.
Your experience mirrors mine. I'm finding that the CVT has a "dual personality" based on how I use the accelerator. If I'm reasonable and just keep up with traffic or accelerate modestly, then the CVT responds in a "civilized" manner. If I need to "punch it" to take off from a standing stop (I'm in a lane that ends shortly and the light turns green) then the CVT responds "aggressively".

The more I drive my Patriot, the more I'm hooked on the CVT. I'll be taking it out on its first "open highway" trip (190 miles roundtrip, 75-85mph) this Saturday and looking forward to see how it handles those speeds and the type of gas mileage I'll get.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
djp_63

Sracer, the "dual personality" sobriquet fits well. If you do have to smash the gas, these things will move right along for a 4 cylinder. Granted, my former Cherokee's straight 6, 4.0 had gobs of torque and was more throttle responsive. A crude and rugged vehicle that was great, however, I really like my Patriot too. I was driving my wife's Toyota Echo and found myself white-knuckling onto the interstate routinely. Heck, even our 4.7 litre Durango groans on occasion moving its 5000 pound @ss into traffic! The Patriot glides right in.
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
Paser00

I think my main problem is my wife. I accelerate at about 2000-2500 rpms. I filled up and took it to work today and for the most part the car was reading about 17-17.5. I might have to give her a lesson in driving and I am sure that is going to go over well.
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I approached my wife on the same topic. Didn't go over too well at all. Then in the course of a conversation about 2 weeks later she mentioned that my Compass gets off the line a lot quicker than her GC and she has to watch her speed a lot more closely on the main roads because she just doesn't realize how fast she's going. My advice...just pay for the gas, silence is golden.

Unread 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I approached my wife on the same topic. Didn't go over too well at all. Then in the course of a conversation about 2 weeks later she mentioned that my Compass gets off the line a lot quicker than her GC and she has to watch her speed a lot more closely on the main roads because she just doesn't realize how fast she's going. My advice...just pay for the gas, silence is golden.
It must be a "girl thing". My wife complains about the gas mileage on her Matrix. She's the type that steps on the gas until she needs to step on the brake... and then only step on the brake at the last minute. The concepts of "anticipating traffic conditions" and "coasting" are foreign to her.

I only mentioned it once to her, and THAT in response to one of her complaints about poor gas mileage.

Discretion IS the better part of valor.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.