Metal rattling sound when Compass is turned off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Metal rattling sound when Compass is turned off

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Metal rattling sound when Compass is turned off

My new 2014 Compass makes a low "metal rattling" sound (best way I can explain it) when I turn the car off. It SOUNDS LIKE (not saying this is what it is) a small metal ball that rocks around (unheard) while the car is on, and then when the car is shut off it rattles to a standstill over the course of not even 2 seconds.

When I first picked up my new 2014 Compass a few months ago, I don't remember hearing that. It's possible I just wasn't paying attention. But over the course of a few weeks, I started to notice it. And now, it's been a few months. But no mechanical issues stemming from this sound, as far as I can tell.

I mentioned it to Jeep when I brought it in for standard maintenance, and they say it's a natural part of the processes as the car shuts off. (They gave me a name for the part that's doing it -- I can post it here when I get my hands on the service printout.) They said it's not a problem with the car.

Should I be worried?

BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
louthmale

You may get used to hearing rattles coming from your compass. I have a 2012 model and have had it back with the dealer now 4 times so far to fix different rattles. I currently have a strange rattle / grating sound coming from the front end when I steer at slow speed. It's booked back in for this Thursday to see what the noise is
louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Most common rattles of that nature are from exhaust heat shields, and are not uncommon on any brand. Can be buggers to find.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

is it super easy to duplicate? if so, I would have somebody listen from outside of the car to see if they can hear it, and if they can, where it is coming from.
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
is it super easy to duplicate? if so, I would have somebody listen from outside of the car to see if they can hear it, and if they can, where it is coming from.
It is ready to replicate. Silly that I didn't think of that actually haha... have someone stand outside (or myself) while someone turns out off. I'll do that tomorrow.

From the way it sounds from inside, it comes from dead center in the engine compartment. At every engine shutoff.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Finally had someone else turn the car off so I could listen closely...

The sound comes from the backside of the engine compartment. With the hood up, I could hear it coming from the area behind the engine block. Loud and clear... a metal knocking sound "clanking" rapidly maybe 5 or so times right after shutdown, and then silence. Every single shutdown.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Image file attached here showing roughly where the sound comes from...
engine-clanking-sound.jpg  
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

That is viewing from the left side of the engine compartment (facing the car), looking in behind the engine.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That is the top of your exhaust manifold. that shiny stuff on the fire wall is heat shielding. so yeah, it sounds like a heat shield rattling. you have a 2014, which would mean its under warranty, its easy to duplicate, I would take it to the dealer, and make sure the service writer is standing there, and can hear the sound and tells you he hears it, and that should get it fixed quick. Heat shields, because they take a lot of heat expand and contract, and so are held on by lose fittings, that come off easily.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.