Maximum range for a Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Maximum range for a Compass?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
PirateKatz

Maximum range for a Compass?

With all the talk on mileage, I was just wondering how far do other Compass owners get on a tank of gas?

My gas light tends to come on after about 280 miles and I try to fill up by 300 miles. It typically takes about 12 or 12.5 gallons when I fill up.

I was told that the gas light comes on when there are about 2 gallons left. This would mean it's safe to go about 50 miles with the light on. I try not to push it past about 25 miles...

PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

The gas tank is only 13 gallons, so if you're putting in 12-12.5 gallons of gas you're below that 2 gallon threshold for the light with only about .5 - 1 gallon of gas left, which depending on the type or driving and terrain you're on would get you maybe 12 to 25 miles before you're out of gas.

I've always heard that you shouldnt allow your tank to get that low consistently (I forget the reasoning behind it) and I generally fill up when I've got about half a tank left or at the absolute lowest point of a 1/4 tank before filling up.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
The gas tank is only 13 gallons,
actually, the gas tank is 13.5 gallons and with the filler neck, will hold 13.7 total.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I always tend to fill up before it hits 1/2 tank, so I've never tried it. Maybe Kramer would know....
kramer.jpg

JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
actually, the gas tank is 13.5 gallons and with the filler neck, will hold 13.7 total.

You're right. What's the difference between .5 to .7 gallon, about another $2.50 or so these days? lol

I've never let it get to that point of having the low fuel light come on in and try to fill the tank whenever I'm between half and a quarter tank full.

I do know that I have to get back to the dealer when I can about that plastic skirt around the filler neck as mine is very loose and tends to shift around. I do see where there is a TSB out for that condition.

As far as the initial post being about the overall range, that depends on what type of topography you're driving around in, whether you're FWD or AWD and on city or highway. I know that folks living in areas that are generally fairly 'flat' are going to get better mileage then I will having to climb several long, fairly steep grades on a daily basis. (Coming 'down' them on the return trips never seems to make up for the gas expended going 'up' them) Driving around town to work and back for me is about 50 miles a day and I usually get about 200-225 miles before I'm down to about a quarter tank and refill with the AWD version. I'll have a pretty good idea what it will do on the open road in a few weeks when we take it on vacation where the roads tend to flatten out a bit down in the Carolinas along the coast.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Hinterlander

Combined city and highway, my '08 Patriot FD1 4x4 w/CVT gets about 300 miles on a tank. I fill it immediately after the light comes on (or as soon as possible). Usually, it takes about 12 gallons to fill and that puts my overall average MPG at about 25. No complaints here.
Hinterlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.