Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Maximum MPH

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  jeffarcher401 
#1 ·
New to the forum this is my first post. My pat will be arriving to the dealer hopefully sometime this week. I only wanted to know what is the max mph you guys have done in long highway trips. Just wondering :);)

#5 ·
decimon said:
Without being hit back?
:D We were getting around a line of semi's down in NM, so it was a brief spurt and then back down. The wife was in a hurry to get to the Grand Canyon and we spent some extra time shopping in Gallup . It was HER fault! Again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :popCorn:

#6 ·
I did 90 in short spurts because of a wreck on the interstate nearly making me late. Electronic limit is I think 119 MPH. If that can be defeated, well you get the idea. Its more comfortable and controllable at 90 than my Wrangler, didn't feel like I was floating or anything, it held its ground well without shaking or vibrating my kidneys loose. Oh ya, Dodge Caliber that is, yours should be the same.

#8 ·
pillzny said:
I've hit 90 a couple of times but slowed down in fear of troopers. It is a smooth solid ride to be moving that fast. Honestly it doesnt seem it
I had a friend that a little more than a month ago got pulled over for 120+ in a 70 on I20/59 here. The guy that pulled him over (the county sheriff, the head guy, not a deputy) red flagged his license, if it'd been me, I'd have been under the jail. I was doing 90 and people were still passing me on the interstate like it was nothing. Evidently my fellow coworkers are also in a hurry.

#9 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
Its more comfortable and controllable at 90 than my Wrangler, didn't feel like I was floating or anything, it held its ground well without shaking or vibrating my kidneys loose.
So is every other car on the market. :laugh:

Really, any of today's car should cruise along at 90 without problem. I've driven 100 mph in a camry for extended period of time and it feels solid.

#10 ·
So, are you comparing the Camry to the Compass?

Hunter

#11 ·
I just took it to mean anything that is built for ROAD service as opposed to OFF-ROAD service. Even factory GC's can cruise at 90 pretty well. Anything with a short wheel base and high center of gravity will not handle roads as well as other "cars".

#12 ·
You just failed the first of JF, NEVER call your Jeep a car.:rofl:

Hunter

#16 ·
Whilst I don't condone it either I know that Calibers are electronicly limited to 119 MPH. I do not go anywhere near that and try to do the speed limit. And I know this from published figures as well, not experimentation.

#17 ·
Can't get past 90? I have no idea why anyone would be trying to drive faster than that in a fairly heavy vehicle with a 2.4 four banger. Anyways, was he trying to drive up a hill? My Compass will easily reach 85 while passing, I don't see why it would have trouble getting past 90.

#18 ·
now that the patriot is broken in Ive hit 80 for brief stints. it still had plenty of pull but it took a while to get there. rode smooth as silk.

ps if my wife reads this (its hers) she will kill me :)

#19 ·
I won't tell.:shhh:

My wife has "confessed" that she caught herself doing 80 more than once just because it rides so nice that you don't realize how fast your going. You could use her excuse if you like. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
here in argentina the speed limit is 130Km/h about 80Mp/h.

but hopefully, here we dont have any kind of police control for speed ticket.. for you to know, i have jus tmade a trip from bariloche to buenos aires about 1600Km and almost all the time, the cruise speed was around 180Km/h 112Mp/h and i hit 220km/h 137Mp/h. everybody goes fast here, no ticket problems :)

but talking about the compass, tomorrow i will try to push it to its limit in the road and see the limit. maybe there is a problem or old software in my CVT or Engine, i dont know, i will get it for a starscan on tuesday or wednesday.

#22 ·
Autostick in 6th gear for me

When I'm putting "Chip" in race mode I use the autostick. It locks in a gear and I get good performance for a 4. That and winter driving is all I use it for.

About 90. It floats around a little at that speed. It also floats over bumpy roads too and thats great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.