max tire size w/ no lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > max tire size w/ no lift?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
patriot2009bk
2009 MK Patriot 

max tire size w/ no lift?

Hello everyone.

So i was thinking about getting a lift but decided to postpone that.
I'm getting rid of my 17" rims tire size 215/65's for some 16x7" rims.. now my question is.

What's the MAX tire size I can go up to without rub on a 4x4 unlimited MK?
I was thinking general grabbers at2 which is a 235/70R16. I have confirmation that this DOES fit from another user.. but wanted more then one confirmation.

patriot2009bk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I'm in no way a technical expert on spacers or offset but in my opinion 235 is too fat for a Jeep Patriot because of the limited clearance to the struts. 235/70/16 is about 29" in diameter and if it didn't rub it would be very close to it. I would not go wider than 225.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
patriot2009bk
2009 MK Patriot 

With alittle more of an offset on the rim. 0mm+ is close to 1.5-2" of offset, shouldn't that give it more room to play with on the inside of the wheel well?
patriot2009bk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Borderspeed
2008 MK Patriot 

I run 235/70r16 without a lift and absolutely no clearance issues.
Borderspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
SkiRush

I have noticed a difference of opinion on the max tire size on the patriot and I'm not sure why. Some people say they run this size tire and/or this wheel, then others will say there's no way that will work...even though there are pictures to show it.

Can anyone please provide more clarity here? I have a 4x2 and I'm also interested in a final answer with regard to the tallest and fattest tire I can fit without a lift.

Thanks
SkiRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
the_jeep_now
2010 MK Patriot 

29'' would be max without a lift. Depending on the rim offset, it might slightly rub on inner wheel well.
the_jeep_now is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
SkiRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jeep_now
29'' would be max without a lift. Depending on the rim offset, it might slightly rub on inner wheel well.
I read somewhere that the offset on my stock steel rim is 39mm...but I have no idea quite how to interpret that. I'm assuming you mean get an offset that pushes the wheel out somewhat. What offset would I need to look for?
SkiRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
nesbitt32

If you get fatter tires increasing the offset is helpful.

Patriot ground clearance has changed a bit in the last few years, which could be the difference in different opinions....
nesbitt32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

How to measure offset: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

The MKs have about a +40 mm offset. I say about because the 16, 17 & 18" wheels vary. Keep in mind that 5 mm = 0.2" or not much.

We know that a tread width of 235 fits and in some cases even a 245 will fit. Why do some work and not others"? It relates to the bulge of the sidewall which relates to the width of the rim and the tread width of the tire. Tires are made to cover a certain rim width and have a normal appearing 'bulge' in the sidewall. If you have a fat tire on a skinny rim then you will have a large bulge or more curving out on the sidewall and that may hit on something like the brake line but the bracket for that can be bent to gain some clearance if needed. There is no substitute for a trial fit unless you know that someone has tried your exact combination and said that it works. There are no reasons that the tires sizes that we have listed would not work.

The aspect ratio is not the bulge. I know of no way to calculate it either.

Just a note here. I just dropped down from 235/60R18 to 235/65R16 and I'm getting better actual mpg. maybe 1/2 mpg different.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.