Manual Transmission Whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Manual Transmission Whine

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Manual Transmission Whine

Haven't seen this problem come through the forum yet, but it has been posted on others. Thought I'd share my troubleshooting:

Over the last month or so, what can be described as a whine or howl had developed, most noticeable on the highway - While in gear and throttle is applied (at any speed or in any gear). If clutch depressed, only regular engine noise is heard (Not an RPM related noise).

Had it in for service (while my powertrain warranty was still effective) last week, and a worn output bearing was the culprit. Tech indicated that it was likely due to a high spot in the bearing and it has slowly worn over time. I have a few pictures of the part that I will post if there is interest.

2.4L 5 speed for the record - 98 700km

Now to address my squeaky rear struts (and yep.. i've replaced everything but the struts in the rear...)

~Aaron

iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Hmmm, last I knew, my '07 Compass has shocks in the rear . And my rears squeak too, but only after my lift kit was installed... and it took a year before the noise (right rear) showed up. Personally, as I have never had shocks squeak (and I've owned 8 cars, 3 trucks & 3 vans) I believe that my noise is either the coil spring or rear sway bar bushings. Please let us know if your rear "struts" are the problem.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Have to laugh at myself. Indeed we're talking about springs! Somewhere within that assembly, a squeak is originating. Seems to vanish depending on the weather. Not critical or replacement worthy, but annoying nonetheless.

Rear lateral links (upper, lower, and toe) have been replaced (prior to bushing kits becoming available). Have not considered the sway bar bushings... worth a shot!
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Happy to offer an idea, iamrone. My own squeak stays with me year 'round and I haven't noticed much of a weather related change. As I put it in another post: is something I've gotten used to; kind of like other Jeep related quirks. Good luck on figuring yours out.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.