Manual Transmission AWD system Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Manual Transmission AWD system Question.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Manual Transmission AWD system Question.

Ok so i have a question about the Base MT 4wd / AWD? version of the jeep patriot...

I am concerned about the AWD system because the MT doesnt offer the "Locking mode" that the freedomdrive CVT offers.

So heres my scenario:

If i jack up the front left tire and rear right tire, will the car be able to drive off the jacks? Or will those jacked up wheels just spin (like most AWD systems lacking traction control)?

Will the traction control brake the lifted wheels and allow power to reach the grounded wheels? OR is that ability only part of the freedom drive option?

I havebeen stuck before in an SUV because it had the silly non TCS 4wd system where only the 2 wheels lacking traction will spin, and if the patriot is the same I will not be able to buy it. (actually 2 SUV's, my old discovery in mud and a CR-V in snow)

I realize there is a stability control feature standard, but its not really stability controls job to perform this function, thus is not reliable to get my out of a sticky situation. Will the MT's traction control take care of it? Or just the models that have a CVT?

What exactly happens when you do the "lock" thing on the freedom driver version?

I'm seriously considering the Suzuki SX4 now because it has a very impressive 4WD system (locking mode standard), costs less, and for $200, a coil spacer kit will bring it to 9" Ground clearance and it will fit some BFG All Terrain T/A's without rubbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVbsBB5eBAI

Last edited by boon4376; 10-05-2008 at 01:39 PM..
boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
OxyG3nE

you cant put it in 4 Lock when u have manual transmission? .. going at the dealer tomorow to buy a patriot.. and i thought it had it on the manual transmission.. a 4wd is so useless without possibly to put it on 4 lock ... hope we have a answer soon but i just went on the web site and i can see that we can have the MT with the Freedom 1 thinkg with the lock system.. and it has nothing to do with the transmission.. corect me if im wrong
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
hope we have a answer soon but i just went on the web site and i can see that we can have the MT with the Freedom 1 thinkg with the lock system.. and it has nothing to do with the transmission.. corect me if im wrong
Hmmm, i checked now, IT appears that ALL 2009 MT's have freedom drive I , which has "brake lock" which will re-distribute torque with the brakes...
Only the CVT's have freedom drive II (available as an option) which has an actual coupling attached to the rear differential.

Before 2009's were available on the website, and "build your own" was only for 2008's (about 2 weeks ago?) I believe i was astounded to find that there was NO freedom drive for the Manual transmission at all. (am i wrong?)

So it appears all 2009's will "drive off the jacks" in my scenario, however it remains to be seen whether 2007 or 2008 models with manual transmission can.

Whats wrong with this guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuKxVp6NorI
boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
OxyG3nE

i dont know but when i check on the canadian jeep web site it talk about the MT 4wd with freedom 1 with lock blabla.. (im not gonna ask the saleperson tomorow.. they know nothing about nothing haha)
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The MK's have either FWD, Freedom-Drive I or II. Both MT and CVT when equipped with the 4X4 option have a 4WD LOCK T handle in the console. There is no AWD only on the MT as being indicated, they are one of the systems mentioned above or in this link. Go here for more info.

Freedom-Drive I®
Jeep® Compass and Patriot models with a 5-speed manual transaxle or continuously variable transmission feature selectable four-wheel-drive lock. This state-of-the-art electronic system anticipates the need for added traction and responds to wheel-slippage by transferring power to the rear wheels, while modulating rear-wheel to contribute to vehicle stability in cornering situations. The system also saves fuel by operating only on demand when on-road, thereby minimizing power-robbing friction and inertia. Activate the off-road mode by pulling up on the chrome T-handle switch labeled 4WD LOCK in the center console. This mode dictates that the electronic sends the maximum amount of torque to the rear axle for improved traction.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
OrangetheRipper
2007 MK Compass 

ive got an 07 limited compass, manual transmission and it has the 4wd lock.
OrangetheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
OxyG3nE

just receive my patriot today.. and its manual.. and i have the 4wd lock button ;p only thing i was surprise is the noise from the transmission.. sound like a supercharge haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.