Manual CVT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Manual CVT

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Manual CVT

My dealer told me that my tranny is a manual CVT, i have never heard of a manual CVT. Can anyone tell me more about it. (not how it works) but its relability and so on??

just bought my Pat today btw!!!!

armystrong68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sounds like your dealer is a few French Fries short of a Happy Meal. Do you have a clutch? Then it's a 5 speed with 5 distinct gears that you push in on the clutch to change from one to the other. Very conventional.

CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission which slides some pulleys around to vary the ratios, no clutch involved at all. Some (most) were made as an AutoStick with a - and a + down in the "D" position so that you can select the gear that you want by tapping it left or right.

Sooo, what 'cha got?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

HELL no, its not Tiptronic (auto with shifting) transmissions suck and are prone to breaking. Its a manual (has a clutch) but its strange, When i shift there is no "CLUNK" into the next gear, it seems to just slide into the next gear and no jerky shifting or anything. he said it was a manual CVT!
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry, he's wrong, that's just the way it is.

MANY of us have CVT's. They are trouble free and we like 'em, unlike some of the early 5 speeds where the syncros fell apart. That was only on some of the 5 speeds, most of them are also trouble free and very smooth shifting.

Unread 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

please forgive the hi-jack.. Gramps do you know of any service bulletins for the manual 08 compass? specifically, shifting issues? 1st gear is a PITA sometimes
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't see anything on 1st or 2nd gear. This TSB is for 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/TSB/Caliber_2101108.pdf

Gear Clash / Difficult to Shift - This bulletin involves replacing the 3rd/4th/5th & Reverse gear synchronizer (blocker) rings together as a set if a de-bonding condition is found.

In case I missed something the TSB's, Recalls and Rapid Response are listed here Complete list of all Caliber Technical Service Bulletins - Dodge Caliber Forums

Are you stopped or nearly stopped when trying to go into 1st? Is your brake fluid level good. The clutch master taps off of the brake master, no separate fill point and the Clutch Master Cylinder is internal in the transaxle.

How many miles on yours and anything else abnormal?

Unread 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

man i dont think you aren't thanked enough.. your wealth of info is endless. It happens when im completely stopped trying to shift into 1st. If i shift slowly its fine. everything else is fine with car. the compass has about 19k on it now. I'll check the brake fluid tomorrow. thanks!
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the kind words! Hitting the "thumbs up" icon down by the edit button tells the Admin that I'm doing OK. You can also do a thumbs up for anybody, not just me.

Actually, I've had the same problem that your having on MANY stick shifts that I've driven. If it won't go into 1st try putting it in 2nd or reverse and then back to first. This lets the cluster gear rotate and lets you line up the syncros and get into 1st much easier. I guess its an old habit of mine but I seldom go into 1st without going into 2nd before hand when rolling to a stop or at a dead stop. I don't even think about doing it, it's that much of a habit.

Unread 12-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
HELL no, its not Tiptronic (auto with shifting) transmissions suck and are prone to breaking. Its a manual (has a clutch) but its strange, When i shift there is no "CLUNK" into the next gear, it seems to just slide into the next gear and no jerky shifting or anything. he said it was a manual CVT!
I have a 2008 with a manual transmission in it and it doesn't "clunk" either. Not sure why you would expect it too.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

i dont expect it to clunk. i was just saying that it shifts very smooth.
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
i dont expect it to clunk. i was just saying that it shifts very smooth.
Thats a good thing!
One way to find out for sure is to shift without the clutch and see if you grind the gears!
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
Thats a good thing!
One way to find out for sure is to shift without the clutch and see if you grind the gears!
It's good experience when you learn to drive on tractors and Model "A"'s. and that taught me how to drive my 'Cuda home after blowing I-bolts in clutches.

Tags
cvt , manual transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.