Major mis-fire problem with 08 Pat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Major mis-fire problem with 08 Pat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Major mis-fire problem with 08 Pat

The car is suffering major mis-fire under load when the engine is at temp. Today it was so bad the car couldn't move with traffic and a CEL came on. Pulled into the local AutoZone and when they went to retrieve the code the light was off and they claimed nothing was stored. Any ideas on where to start looking?

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
dunkeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp
The car is suffering major mis-fire under load when the engine is at temp. Today it was so bad the car couldn't move with traffic and a CEL came on. Pulled into the local AutoZone and when they went to retrieve the code the light was off and they claimed nothing was stored. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Hi if there was no codes could be fuel pressure, changed any fuel filters lately, !
dunkeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeld View Post
Hi if there was no codes could be fuel pressure, changed any fuel filters lately, !
Seeing as how the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump in the tank (like most Jeep products) no. Again, the CEL came on, but when it was scanned they claimed they couldn't find anything. I am sort of skeptical about that but I'm not sure how a CAN system stores codes. I know on OBDII cars the code stays stored usually until it's cleared.

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just an update. I put new plugs in the Jeep and it did not help. I started it Friday evening and the car was idling really high, the traction control light was on, the voltage light was on, and the AC wasn't working. I turned it off and back on and it was fine. Drove it 50 miles and it ran a little rough every so often. Yesterday morning my wife went to drive it to work and got five miles before the car wouldn't go above 10 mph, the voltage and traction control light came on. Tried restarting and didn't help. Unhooked battery and didn't help. Had the car towed to the local dealer I bought it from who said they couldn't work on it and so it was towed to another city to be looked at.

If you are considering buying one of these, especially a used one, I highly suggest you don't. This has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

Unread 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I would almost put money on a bad ground/frayed wire somewhere but not a clue to tell you where to start looking.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post

If you are considering buying one of these, especially a used one, I highly suggest you don't. This has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned.
That is 100% true of any used vehicle be it a Jeep or a toyota.You just do not know how the other owner cared for it.It's better then a 75% chance that any used vehicle was drastically neglected,some the oil most likely was never changed or at extreme intervals.People these days just don't care about there vehicle and trade it in once they have one problem passing the issues to the next buyer.
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Busmaster2

could it be the computer? I had a similar problem with a 75 ford Granada. Once the engine was on for a while it would sputter and stall. Had to replace the computer module.
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
could it be the computer? I had a similar problem with a 75 ford Granada. Once the engine was on for a while it would sputter and stall. Had to replace the computer module.
No computers in a '75 anything.
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Distributor control module was often called a computer back then.

A note on buying used. I finally talked the oldest daughter into buy new. They've been threw 4 or 5 used in the last 10 years. She didn't get a Jeep but she did by a Dodge.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've never bought a new car. I've always bought pre-owned. This was no different. Sorry, but this thing has been nothing but a huge disappointment even without it's current problem. Piss poor fuel mileage, an engine so pathetically weak that it's almost scary driving on the interstate, crap electrics, and the cheapest of build qualities. This vehicle is a joke. It will be gotten rid of ASAP.

Unread 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Busmaster2

I stand corrected. That's what I was referring to.
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Dealer states the problem is a failed electronic throttle body. Warranty company is trying to get out of covering it. I suspect it's a wiring harness problem and that I'll be back again with the same problems.

Unread 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

It is absolutely correct that if you buy used, you run the risk of buying a completely neglected vehicle. I would never buy used without seeing a maintenace log and a carfax...
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Hey my volvo had a temperamental electronic throttle body. What was wrong with the old cable TBs I'll never know. If you visit vexedvolvo.com there is some good info on why they suck snd what goes wrong. At least volvo extended the warranty on them.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
It is absolutely correct that if you buy used, you run the risk of buying a completely neglected vehicle. I would never buy used without seeing a maintenace log and a carfax...
Yes, thank you for your exceptionally helpful post. I guess the fact that it was "certified" as well as having a copy of a clean Carfax etc just added up to this failure being my fault.

The warranty company is refusing to cover the repair, something about the throttle body not being considered a power train or "high tech" componant

So I'm looking at a $500 repair on a crap vehicle. I stand by the statement that this is the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.