Major differences in the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Major differences in the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
Urr

There may be differences if one vehicle is equipped with lether seats and other is not or something similar, but if both of them are with the same trim level, and the drivers seat is in the maximum back position, then the distance to the rear seat is equal.
There may be, that the more flat windshield in Compass is (or felt to be) closer to the driver's head or something, and therefor driver set his seat further back than in Patriot to feel comfortable. This is subjective, but does not make Compass smaller.
Although in the end the same subjective opinion is the one that matters, when you buy a car

In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Actual fit is not subjective. My family only fits in one of the two.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Actual dimensions are not subjective either. Try them both on for size and make your own opinion, everybody's got one.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
CanadianJets

Hi guys.

Recently I've googled for Compass 2012 crash test. There wasn't any official testings but the European one. And according to it Compass earned 2.5 stars from five. I don't know if it's true. I've been thinking of buying Compas (I really like GC-like style) but now...
CanadianJets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJets View Post
Hi guys.

Recently I've googled for Compass 2012 crash test. There wasn't any official testings but the European one. And according to it Compass earned 2.5 stars from five. I don't know if it's true. I've been thinking of buying Compas (I really like GC-like style) but now...
The Patriot is an IIHS "Top Safety Pick", and is built on the same MK platform as the Compass, and (AFAIK) is in the same vehicle class. I would think that the Compass ranking should at least be similar.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #21
CanadianJets

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...223-1tpa9.html
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The latest I could find was from 2010 and the only real difference are some sheet metal changes. The crumple zones would be the same.

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010...ash_tests.html

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Read the article:

Quote:
It was against these revised parameters that the Jeep struggled, with the Compass scoring just 23 per cent in the pedestrian protection rating - with the car's bumper scoring no points for pedestrian leg protection while the general pedestrian rating was either poor or marginal, which in turn limited the car to two stars. Its score of 43 per cent for safety assistance was also weak, with EuroNCAP saying the car's seatbelt reminders "did not meet EuroNCAP's requirements".
Personally, I don't consider either of these issues to be related to vehicle safety. What I'm concerned with when I'm barreling down the highway at 65mph is whether I'll survive when someone sideswipes me, runs me into the median, rear-ends me, or a deer jumps in front of me. One might think it makes me a jerk, but I'm not so much concerned with pedestrian legs, nor a seatbelt buzzer. I'll take personal responsibility for wearing my seatbelt, thank you very much, and I wear it any time I'm on public roads, and frequently when I'm not.

(Besides, I've seen what happens when you make the buzzer that annoying. I've got a couple friends who have buckled their belts behind the seats to get the buzzer to stop annoying them.)

Removing these unreasonable European standards, it looks like the compass should be scoring 3 or 4 out of 5 stars, based on its scores on the remaining EuroNCAP tests.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
CanadianJets

I agree. European standards are different. Maybe the article was written specially not to let Jeep to enter European market.
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

I have owned several jeep cherokees in the past, a 94 and 92 and I think the interior of my new patriot is very similar. Obvously its updated and different looking but the space and layout is very very similar.

I like to think of the patriot as an evolved jeep cherokee sacrificing the solid axles and transfercase for a more efficiant economical pavement pounder.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
fasteddiewk
2005 WK 

like i said in an earlier post, we have one, she likes it. i still think there is less room in it than in eitehr of the xj's that i previously owned and she agrees that our passat had more room than what we have in the compass.
fasteddiewk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiewk View Post
like i said in an earlier post, we have one, she likes it. i still think there is less room in it than in eitehr of the xj's that i previously owned and she agrees that our passat had more room than what we have in the compass.
Really? I think it is better laid out then either of my old XJs... More refined and not as rugged looking that's for sure. more leg room in the back seat and a little less cargo room. But I rarely care a tone of cargo and people, and the back seats fold down nicely. I feel the two front seats are much more comfortable and better placed then on the old XJs. The old XJs did have more vertical storage in the cargo area, but they didn't have a spare tire stored under the cargo area ether... Not that my spare 35" left much room the back of my old XJ
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
Eagle112199
2008 KK Liberty 

My two cents, and a buck will get you a cup of coffee someplace but I guess I will chime in:

I can attest to the Compass and Liberty as I have owned both in the last three years. The Compass is overall a nice crossover and offers, agreed, better MPG then the Liberty. The biggest problem I had with my 2007 Compass I had was the lack of "refined interior, but I know that was redone in 2012 and a new Grand Cherokee look to the front end made it my first choice when I went to purchase new last summer. I ended up for financial reasons going with a used 2008 Liberty (my reasons in a moment.) Also I did not like the blind spots and limited cargo room as stated in previous comments but that was not a deal breaker.

The reason I chose the Liberty was because of the towing capabilities and I like to sit higher on the road. I am trying to convince the wife to buy a small camper to get her into the wood more (she is a city girl). Preference also, the Liberty has the "Jeep Look" to me more then the Compass does. The Compass, while nice, had a smaller engine and was a better highway/trip car for MPG, but in all honesty I have almost the same MPG with my Liberty (24/26 best on the highway) as the Compass (28/30). It mostly for me was a matter of preference. I liked the Compass but wanted something different. I liked the Liberty when they first were introduced in the early 2000s but I fell in love with my 2008 redesigned Liberty and I couldn't be happier.
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle112199 View Post
but in all honesty I have almost the same MPG with my Liberty (24/26 best on the highway) as the Compass (28/30).

IMO the mpg of the liberty vs compass or patriot are not even comparable.

Jeep currently rates the liberty at 16-22 and the patriot at 23-29...

Honestly it is like trying to compare apples and oranges, while they are semi similar they are two different animals. One is a true SUV with a live rear axle while one is a AWD IFS/ IRS cross over.
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Agree completely. Liberty is a different vehicle class.
Haven't driven the newer version yet. But the pre change had done nice lift kit options available.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.