Major differences in the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Major differences in the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
07UnlimitedMD
2007 JK Wrangler 

Major differences in the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty?

Other then body style....what are some major differences in the 3?

Just browsing pricing online, all 3 with 4wd...can be found in the same price range.

No i haven't actually gone to a dealer yet to look at them, just doing alittle web browsing today.

07UnlimitedMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

I've never driven in a Patriot. Based on the specifications, it looks like it should be almost the exact same as a Compass.

The Liberty is an entirely different beast. My father owns one, so I have a bit of experience with it. It sits higher than the Patriot and Compass, tall enough that you're at eye level with trucks. It's a larger vehicle, but I don't think it feels too cumbersome to drive or maneuver.

Perhaps the most important difference is in the engine. My Compass has a 2.4L CVT (|4). I love it - there's no shifting, so transitioning from flat roads to steep hills feels seamless, and the fuel efficiency is great for a vehicle of this size and weight. I don't remember what type of engine is in my father's Liberty, maybe a 3.7L V6?, but the Liberty's engine is much more powerful. It's the difference of feeling like I'm moving quickly in my Compass when I'm accelerating on an on-ramp, vs. feeling like I'm being pinned to the seat in the Liberty. But you pay for that power in fuel efficiency, and the Liberty loses sorely to the Compass/Patriot.

If gas cost as little as it did 10 years ago and I had a choice between vehicles, I'd definitely go with the Liberty. I like sitting higher and I like the power. Given where we are today, though, I'm very happy with the Compass (and personally prefer its styling to the Patriot, but that's just me).

I forgot one other difference. If I remember correctly, the Compass (and maybe the Patriot) are essentially front-wheel drive vehicles normally, and become AWD or can be put into full-time 4WD. One major criticism of the Compass/Patriot platforms was the lack of 4-Low, but I don't know if Jeep offers them with that option. The Liberty has it (maybe as an option?), but normally functions as a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The compass and patriot are FWD with RWD assist,both are designed off the Dodge caliber.Both do not have a real 2 speed t-case,the CVT versions have a "low range" but it's not very low compared to a liberty.

The Liberty is more of a truck based SUV with a live rear axle which is RWD with selectable 4wd option and a true 2 speed t-case.All liberty's have a 2 speed t-case with a low range of 2.72:1.
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Patriot/Compass have a 1000-2000lb tow rating, depending on options. The Liberty is up to 5000lbs.

Patriot/Compass are rated at 20-29MPG, Liberty is 15 to 22.

Basically, the Liberty, like most jeeps, is a light truck. The Patriot and Compass are very capable cars.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Not to insult Compass owners, but the Patriot is roomier and more practical than the Compass. Major complaint of the Compass is the huge blind spots from the C pillars. For the small price difference between the two, I'd go with the Patriot every time (and I did). The Liberty is a gas hungry, more off road oriented SUV. I've never much cared for them; I've always felt they were a poor replacement for the Cherokee. The Liberty is more of a 'true' Jeep; the Compass/Patriot twins are really cars, comparable (favorably) to Subarus.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Not to insult Compass owners, but the Patriot is roomier and more practical than the Compass. Major complaint of the Compass is the huge blind spots from the C pillars. For the small price difference between the two, I'd go with the Patriot every time (and I did). The Liberty is a gas hungry, more off road oriented SUV. I've never much cared for them; I've always felt they were a poor replacement for the Cherokee. The Liberty is more of a 'true' Jeep; the Compass/Patriot twins are really cars, comparable (favorably) to Subarus.
the compass and patriot are exactly the same inch for inch, with the exception of a very small amount of cargo room near the top of the rear hatch where the compass slopes and the patriot doesn't. other than that their dimensions are the same.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The only significant difference I noted was the price - they wanted more for the Compass when I was shopping. I'd tell you how much I like my Patriot, but as of today, the website is still saying "Production Scheduled"

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Unread 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
fasteddiewk
2005 WK 

My wife and I bought a compass in October. She loves it...me on the other hand wishes there was more room and would have sucked it up, had a little higher car payment and did the patriot. There is not as much room in the car as originally thought and the back seat is kind of tight, especially with a car seat and a three year old who likes to kick the backs of the front seats. We got the base model so no frills or anything special, it's just enough to get her to work and back. And I agree with a few of the other posts that there are sme big blind spots on the car, and if you are not used to them they will surprise you.
fasteddiewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiewk View Post
My wife and I bought a compass in October. She loves it...me on the other hand wishes there was more room and would have sucked it up, had a little higher car payment and did the patriot. There is not as much room in the car as originally thought and the back seat is kind of tight, especially with a car seat and a three year old who likes to kick the backs of the front seats. We got the base model so no frills or anything special, it's just enough to get her to work and back. And I agree with a few of the other posts that there are sme big blind spots on the car, and if you are not used to them they will surprise you.
I've been using this sort of mirror on each side of every vehicle I own:

They're cheap - a couple bucks at most car parts or big box stores. Unobtrusive if you put them in the bottom, inboard part of the mirror where you'd normally be looking at just pavement or the side of your own vehicle. They off a far better view of your blind spots than most of the dome-shaped stick-on mirrors.

The sticky backing they provide with them doesn't work very well. I use clear silicone adhesive/caulk to stick them on, as it will scrape away entirely with a plastic scraper or razor blade if I want to remove them for some reason.

Unread 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

There is actually more "real world useable' room inside a Compass/Patriot than there is a Liberty. At least as far as front and rear seats. Cargo area may favor the Liberty? I never got far enough to check the cargo area after seeing how small and cramped the inetrior is on them. I would rate it for room as follows...

Patriot
Compass
Liberty

While I know the Compass is almost identical to the Patriot( same platform and overall interior )it has a different roof line and that compromises head room. It also makes it feel more cramped overall. The Patriot has a much roomier feel IMO. Both the Patriot and Compass though have more room than a Liberty by a big margin.

I am just under 6'4", weigh 300lbs+, and have size 16EEEE feet! I find the Liberty way too small and cramped inside. My legs hit the dash, my head hits the headliner, and I can barely close the door. My Patriot however has more than ample leg and head room( side to side is adequate - would like about 2-3 more inches ). It is just not close for driver comfort between them if room matters to you.

The Patriot/Compass will smoke the Liberty on MPG as well. I find I easily exceed the EPA ratings on my 2011( 2.4L 4WD CVT FDI ). It is rated at 21/26 but I see around 24 MPG for average( mostly city with some highway - maybe 80/20 )and routinely hit 28-30 MPG if doing mostly higwhay. I have seen a high of 34.7 MPG all highway.

The Patriot and Compass are definitely hindered by a low tow capacity and you have limited ability to modify them for off road use. A Liberty would be better for that use if you could fit in it and afford to feed it. I don't off road though so my 4WD needs are based on winter weather driving and launching my duck boat in the winter to hunt( snow and ice covered ramps )and summer to fish( muddy ramps ). For that purpose the Patriot serves me well. I am seeing 2X's+ the MPG out of it vs the HEMI Ram I had before it which really helps out.

IMO if you are not into off roading seriously then a Patriot or Compass is a better option. Less money, more room, and better MPG.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
While I know the Compass is almost identical to the Patriot( same platform and overall interior )it has a different roof line and that compromises head room. It also makes it feel more cramped overall. The Patriot has a much roomier feel IMO.
What he said. The Compass sacrifices utility and outward visibility for 'style' which is sort of anathema to the Jeep brand. The angled rear hatch glass is a bone of contention with me on multiple brands (though the Compass isn't as bad); it effectively makes a 'wagon' into a glorified hatchback. When you're transporting 3 dogs as we do, the lack of canine head room becomes a non-buying factor. Both have identical EPA ratings so there is no advantage in that regard to taking the smaller of the two. The decision between the two comes down to sensible vs style I think.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
JeepCares

The Compass and the Patriot are considered crossovers (crossover utility vehicle - CUV). They are basically the same underneath.
The Compass is more "Grand Cherokee" type styling. The Patriot is more "traditional" or "classic" looking Jeep. Boxier looking - and round headlights.
They have a five speed manual transmission or a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission II) Transaxle.
Engine choices are 2.0L or 2.4L

The Liberty is considered a sport utility vehicle (SUV.) Think 3.7L engine and 4 speed automatic transmission. More power, lower fuel economy.
You can't order a Liberty from the factory anymore. You might or might not be able to locate one with everything you want on it.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

On paper, the C and P may seem the same. But they are most definitely not. The Compass is much smaller.
My family can fit in the Patriot but no way can they fit in a Compass. The Compass is narrower in the body.
There is less drivers leg room. I have to put the seat all the way back. In the Patriot I have to bring it forward a couple inches.
There is substantially less rear seat leg room in the Compass as well. I can only sit in the back seat of a Compass if there is a really short driver.
But in the Patriot I can sit behind a 6' tall driver. My son is 6'4" and he fits behind my 5'10" wife. And you can actually fit 3 adults in the back seat of the Patriot but not the Compass.
I think Marketing got lazy and just copied the numbers from the compass.
The Patriot is deceptively roomy. The Compass is obviously small.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
On paper, the C and P may seem the same. But they are most definitely not. The Compass is much smaller.
My family can fit in the Patriot but no way can they fit in a Compass. The Compass is narrower in the body.
There is less drivers leg room. I have to put the seat all the way back. In the Patriot I have to bring it forward a couple inches.
There is substantially less rear seat leg room in the Compass as well. I can only sit in the back seat of a Compass if there is a really short driver.
But in the Patriot I can sit behind a 6' tall driver. My son is 6'4" and he fits behind my 5'10" wife. And you can actually fit 3 adults in the back seat of the Patriot but not the Compass.
I think Marketing got lazy and just copied the numbers from the compass.
The Patriot is deceptively roomy. The Compass is obviously small.
This is not correct. The parts (seats, dash-board etc.) are exactly the same. You may think it is smaller, but is is not, except the trunk.
And Marketing is not lazy for obvious reasons, it is just cheaper to make two cars with the same parts than to make two different cars and cut back from the Marketing letting them to be lazy and inaccurate about dimensions.
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

So I must have been imagining that I couldn't for in the back seat of a compass our that my son definitely couldn't fit. Yup. I was actually home in bed dreaming the whole time.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.