Maintenance on the Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Maintenance on the Compass

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

The usual law of computers is averages. As a car learns, it takes the highs and lows of every input and averages it. This is probably an oversimplification, but you get the point. So you don't have to drive the same every time, and they don't expect you too. It just takes all the figures and uses averages. As time goes on, and it adds more and more information to its averages, it gets better and better.

This is not a new, "poorly designed" concept, this is a common practice in computers, and it usually works quite well.

As far as "slipping" goes, perhaps I am being dense, but not sure how you could feel slipping in a CVT. It can constantly adjust its ratio, and therefore engine RPMs, there are no gears. So how can you feel it slip when there are no gears?

FWDs are great when you don't get snow, or enough snow to worry about it. My little brother lives in Arizona, where they rarely get snow (not counting the mountains), and when they do its usually gone with a day or two. He is really regretting buying a 4x4 Jeep Liberty and wishes he had bought something with better mileage, but he loves the thing too much to get rid of it.

I won't ever buy anything but 4x4s or AWDs for the midwest. We get too much snow during the winter, usually. If my wife didn't have a SUV with 4x4, or I a 4x4 pickup, we would have got stuck in our driveway many times over.

[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwe View Post

"As far as "slipping" goes, perhaps I am being dense, but not sure how you could feel slipping in a CVT. It can constantly adjust its ratio, and therefore engine RPMs, there are no gears. So how can you feel it slip when there are no gears? "
It's not actually slipping, but it can give the same hesitation, making it "feel" as if it is. For me that sometimes happens starting up a steep hill in a residential area where you need to keep the speed low but still accelerate. It happens only once in awhile and hasn't been worth my time to take it back to the dealer.
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.