Maintenance on the Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Maintenance on the Compass

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
aubreyh

Maintenance on the Compass

I currently drive a Passat but with nearly 140k miles the cost to fix it is just way too much. I've been looking into the Compass since we now have a kid but I want to make sure that the cost to fix and maintain it isn't going to send me to the poor house like the Passat has. Any advice on the average cost to maintain it and replace parts would be extremely helpful! Also, is there anything you don't like or love about the Compass?

aubreyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
h2otoo
2012 MK Compass 

I don't have enough miles on the Compass to answer the first part, but the second... Wind buffeting with just the back windows down is pretty rough. The sun roof has the same issue. No big deal, just something to bug me, and it does!

"What do you mean, my Compass does not have a compass?"
h2otoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Don't like CVT, at least on 4wd versions. Not smooth at low speeds. Very slow throttle response.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

i have that issue with fwd model also i havent driven one but i would do your research and evaluate the choice between 2.4l and 2.0l where as gas mileage is concerned also be careful with the cvt is is really clunky and glitchy and jeep isnt helpful and the in my expierence the electronics in the stereo and steering wheel controls are poorly built at the least and as my tiny fustration the voice command doesnt recognixze whnat im saying 3/4 of the time
12compass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My 6 year old, 80K miles CVT 4x4 has worked flawlessly with smooth shifts. I could put a fish bowl in the front seat and not splash any water out. I have zero complaints. Very few issues for something that was one of the first ones built in June of '06. Lower Ball Joints and Tie rod ends have been the major complaints over the years but I haven't heard too many of those issues since the '09's came out.

The 'drumming' noise with just the back windows down is common with all of these types of vehicles. It has to do with a vortex that's created, laws of physics stuff.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I don't know how you got so lucky. Most of them feel like they are constantly slipping. Then the on power off power jerky delay it has while approaching to stop and then not stopping. It snaps back into drive if you give it the slightest amount of gas from a coast.
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's not luck, it's driving habits and training your transmission like I've mentioned in many other posts. The CVT is programmed from the factory to SHUT THE FUEL OFF when you abruptly let off the gas which causes the herky/jerky but improves gas mileage (theoretically). That's the same reason it doesn't coast to a stop, the engine just shuts down. To change this disconnect the battery for a bit, half an hour seems to be about right, and then ease up on the gas and never really get off of it completely, like a feather on the peddle. If you do this consistently it learns it and I can actually coast with mine. How long it will take to learn this could depend on whether it's in town driving (faster) or highway driving (longer).

Unread 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Should training your own car how to drive properly really be necessary. One shouldn't have to think about feathering ones accelerator to get a car to coast properly. Poor design.
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

The CVT isn't too bad. My '12 4x4 does sometimes feel like it's slipping, but overall it works well and meets or slightly exceeds it's EPA highway mileage. The ride is terrific, the 4x4 works well & I like the ability to "lock" it at any speed. I found the insurance very reasonable and the total cost of ownership over 5 years is projected to be quite low. With only 1 young child you'll have plenty of space, but a growing family with 2 or 3 kids will eventually find it too cramped. I'm 5 months into my first jeep ownership experience with no regrets so far.
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My Model A was completely different than my Compass. One size does not fit all. You should be thankful that you can get it to learn your habits, MOST new cars will. It's an advanced design made for the masses and you have an option of personalizing it and you call that a poor design?

Unread 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yeah. Supposedly my Volvo did this and it didn't have similar issues. Also, for it to learn how you drive...is that it must assume you drive the same every single time you drive, which is impossible. If I'm goetting groceries I might drive average. If I'm late for work, I might drive faster. If it's snowing I might drive slower. How does the software account for daily variables like that?
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Also...my Dad's '07 CVT Maxima doesn't do it. The '11 Sentra CVT I just rented doesn't do it, and both probably learn drivers habits. Does every single driver that rented that Sentra coincidentally have the same driving habits?
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't cover other vehicles. Chrysler products pretty much all have this feature.

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

This thread is about trading out of a Passat to a Jeep Compass. If the person is driving a Passat then why not consider just a FWD Compass or Pat. I see the original poster of this thread lives in California. I don't see snow being a big problem.
If maintainence is a big thing, keep it simple. My Jeep is FWD. If the parts are not there for a 4WD system they can not fail. I don't pay for anything 4WD or AWD because I drive insane miles. It's just another thing to maintain or repair later.
The 4WD system is the single most expensive vehicle option. Not only does it cost thousands, It will cost thousands more to keep it on the road. The FWD Jeep I have is alot cheaper to insure than the 4WD version. The FWD version is more fuel efficient. About 2 MPG better. At $4 for gas, after 100k or 150k mi thats alot of extra money through the tank.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

California is anal about putting chains on any time it does snow in the winter. The only way around it is having 4wd. I live in California and consider it manditory because I drive in the mountains a lot. Guess it depends where this driver is going...isn't Livermore in the bay area? That's not far from Tahoe which gets tons of snow.

Also between my parents Bronco, Suburban, F150, Matrix, and my Volvo XC, Jeep, and my sisters Pathfinder, i've never seen the 4wd system be a source of maintenance problems. Most cars have much weeker parts that break first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.