Lower RPM to get better MPG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Lower RPM to get better MPG

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
goshawk99

Lower RPM to get better MPG

Hi,
The wife just bought her new Compass about 8 weeks ago and I noticed that the so call mpg rated by the government is no where near it. Who really travels at their test speed. I did notice that when the tach is around 2000 I get better mpg. Could the rpm be alter so that when we are cruising at 65/70 we get the 2000 and not the 2800.
BTW it's an automatic 2.4l FWD.

Thanks

goshawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

I have a 5 speed, but I get the best mpg at between 1800 - 2000 rpm. cruising speed of about 50 to 55.
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
eighteenwheeler

the big mPG Question

Fear not!

I don't believe it's RPM- It's speed. I could do the research, but aerodynamically, the best gas mileage will come 55-60 miles per hour. Above 60, it's air resistance that gives the poor gas mileage. I know there is a lot of research with my other vehicles (such as my ford F150), as to what speeds, not RPMs...

it's tough to discuss the gas mileage aspect. For some odd reason, the cars get much much better gas mileage the longer you drive them. Now at 100 miles, I was getting like 16 MPG on my compass. Now at 10k miles on the car, I'm getting 30 miles per gallon on the highway easily... I know many other patriot/compass owners have said the same thing. You will get worse gas mileage at first, but you will get much better than stated gas mileage once you break that bad boy in!

AND i have a CVT automatic 4x4. the 4x2 should be that much better..

So yes... I believe the car should be rated higher MPG than stated. Don't be discouraged when it's lower at first.
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

I also have noticed that if I keep my foot out of it and hold her at 60ish, my mileage is fantastic. As I climb past that, it drops like a rock.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxjockey View Post
I also have noticed that if I keep my foot out of it and hold her at 60ish, my mileage is fantastic. As I climb past that, it drops like a rock.
I hope I can get my '07 Compass 4X4 up to about the rated 26 on the highway. Most of my driving is freeway driving. The problem with doing 60ish is that I would get ran over by a Yugo or flattened by all the big rigs on my daily commute. I have to do at least 70, so I hope with a CAI and maybe exhaust and after some miles I can get to that point. I could live with 26mpg
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Jeepster55

i got 26 MPG on our trip to KC last November, after only having it a week or so. the first thing i noticed is that if you take off and hold the RPM's at 2000, your speed keeps increasing even though the engine speed remains constant. eventually you 'top out', but this is how i was driving on the interstate and did really well. i think the next trip we take, with some miles on it now, we'll do even BETTER!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

For the first 1,100 miles I have averaged 24.1 mpg with my Compass 4x4 CVT. My commute is about 60 miles a day, mostly interstate but with about 4,500 feet of elevation change. I keep it about 58 - 60 mph- if you want to get the mileage you have to slow down. I know there are many people out there that b***h about the gas prices, but drive 70 -80 mph- they do not understand that aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the speed- double the speed and quadruple the drag. I figure will be able to better the EPA numbers on a steady highway trip.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
For the first 1,100 miles I have averaged 24.1 mpg with my Compass 4x4 CVT. My commute is about 60 miles a day, mostly interstate but with about 4,500 feet of elevation change. I keep it about 58 - 60 mph- if you want to get the mileage you have to slow down. I know there are many people out there that b***h about the gas prices, but drive 70 -80 mph- they do not understand that aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the speed- double the speed and quadruple the drag. I figure will be able to better the EPA numbers on a steady highway trip.
excellent post!

yes, it's always been the 'smart' thing to do.....go slower and get BETTER mpg's, but who said Americans were 'smart'! until gas hit $3+/gal, we only wanted to get where we were going FAST and the cost of gas was secondary. now it's a different story......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
goshawk99

Thanks for this interesting discussion. Like it or not... long distance driving on highways are boring and the sooner I get to my destination the better and I guess better mileage will come as the compass is broken in.
goshawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk99 View Post
Thanks for this interesting discussion. Like it or not... long distance driving on highways are boring and the sooner I get to my destination the better and I guess better mileage will come as the compass is broken in.
Very true, I stomp the EPA numbers of 26 MPG highway (that's the old rating though, I really beat the new one!) on my R/T FWD Caliber w/ CVT II. Normally on the highway at 70 or so is 28-30 MPG, had a couple of 32 MPG tanks and a 36 MPG one time! (But that was straight 55 the whole way, no A/C or anything on the highway.)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.