Love my Compass, but it is giving me a stroke right now! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Love my Compass, but it is giving me a stroke right now!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Love my Compass, but it is giving me a stroke right now!

Hello! I am new to the forum - I own a 2007 Jeep Compass that I purchased new from the dealer in early 2008. I was really excited about the affordable price, the 4x4, the towing package, great gas mileage, and lifetime powertrain warranty. Have since had 2 kids and my compass has also proven to be a great family car! HOWEVER, 2 months ago, the alternator had to be replaced, adios $500!! Then, 3 weeks ago, I went out after work and the engine would turn over, but the car would not start. But no warning lights on the dash were being displayed. We checked the battery, checked the wires (the ones that we could get to), checked all the fuses, made sure it wasn't the Sentry system. We found that two of the fuses were only getting minimal power; but we couldn't track down why. So we got hold of a code checker and it is giving us 2 codes P0010 and P0013. Any idea what could be going on?? We were going to just give up and tow it to a mechanic, but we can only tow on a flat bed; so if it is just a sensor or something - we would like to be able to fix it ourselves! (as a side note, I am also really frustrated b/c we are having all these problems just after our 3 year bumper to bumper warranty ended and nothing seems to be covered by powertrain. Probably should have purchased an extended warranty, but money is tight when you have two preschool kids!!)

saaala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Probably should have purchased an extended warranty, but money is tight when you have two preschool kids!!
I know that story, there is ALWAYS something else that I would like to or should spend my money on. I highly recommend that anyone on a tight budget to bite the bullet and at least get a Factory Service Manual. They may seem expensive ($150 - $200) but they are priceless when you have problems. What you may have been able to save on replacing the alternator may have paid for the FSM in one shot.

Now for your problem. This is not a complete 'how to' because I really don't know your mechanical or electrical abilities. I can get deeper into it if you would like. and it would be easier to send you an email on this than to try and configure it to the forum. If that's what you would like just send me a PM with your email address.

The P0010 & p0013 codes are both relating to the camshaft position sensor.The PCM detects that the actual state of the Camshaft 1/1 and 1/2 Position Solenoid does not match the intended state. This can be caused by the PCM itself or by a sensor or chafed wire.

Possible Causes:

INTERMITTENT DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)

(K343) FUSED MAIN RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K76) CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) 1/1 (or 1/2) CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

CAMSHAFT 1/1 (or 1/2) POSITION SOLENOID

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks so much! I could find what the codes meant, but didn't know, in real terms, what could cause that: so your list of possible causes is extremely helpful! My mechanical ability is nil; but my hubby is pretty mechanically inclined, especially if it has to do with electrical components/wiring as that is what he used to do in the Air Force. I think we will invest in a Factory Service Manual as we are DIY-types most of the time! Thanks again for your input!! Really appreciate it and I hope we can fix this and I can get back to loving my car, because I really did love it when it was running - haha!
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Quick update!

Per my hubby who was just out working on the car: Both camshaft position sensors are getting 5 volts and both grounds at those connectors are good. Also, the camshaft solenoids are getting 12 volts and the grounds are good. He did hear a low buzzing noise coming from one of the fan motors or under the intake manifold when the ignition is in the on position - not sure if that is normal when the car is not running. I will PM you my email address; and if anyone has more thoughts or ideas, we would love to hear them!! Thanks Jeeple!
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Another update: We went through the checklist gramps provided and everything checked out so we had it towed to a local mechanic yesterday. Just spoke with the mechanic, he can't tell what is wrong with it for sure but he suspects the computer and advised we probably need to take it to the dealer (our dealer is out of business now, so we will have to take it to another jeep dealer). We bought the car new in February of 08, I can't believe the computer would be shot after only 4 1/2 years?? I guess we will find out soon enough! :-(
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Follow up question - we did have have to get the alternator replaced, had it done at the dealer, about 3 months ago - could that cause any issues with the computer? Just seems so strange to have it go bad now, with less than 70,000 miles on it!
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

With all of the electronics on these things today low or high voltage can play havoc with the control boxes. There was a recall/TSB on the PCM a few years back for certain production dates.

Unread 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
saaala
2007 MK Compass 

Well, it is definitely the pcm. As a last ditch effort we tried leaving it disconnected for 2 days to reset it, but still won't start. She's off to the dealer on Monday, but the good news is that they say the pcm is covered under the emissions warranty. Which is good - because I was getting pretty agitated that the computer could take a crap this soon! So hopefully will be running again this week - I miss driving my car!!
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

At least it's covered, that's GREAT!

Unread 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Skye56

I have a new 2012 compass latitude 4x4 and I've been very pleased with it. However, I did have car trouble with it not even a month after owning it. While driving on the highway for its first highway run the vehicle would not let me accelerate and started slowing down rapidly to the point where I had to pull over on the side of the highway. After waiting 3 hours in 105 degree weather with no AC for a tie truck to come tow it to the dealership, I was informed that what caused the problem was a bad cell in the battery which caused the computer to malfunction. The dealership replaced the battery and it had been doing fine since then. I've even driven it on a 2 hour highway trip to test it out and it did not break down, but I am still a bit uncomfortable driving it on the freeway king distances. I'm taking a road trip to CA and would like to drive my compass, but I'm a little unsure if it's safe.. Even with the new battery. I know this issue occurs in many new car brands since the computer runs the show. There may be truth in owning older models! Ha ha
Skye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Hey Gramps

Is that Factory Service Manual still the same old one that runs only on the old Internet Explorer (the version that comes with Windows 98) ?
Beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mine is. The graphics for the wiring diagrams uses the Adobe SVG viewer and Adobe never updated them to work on IE7 and later. It worked on XP as long as I had the IE6. We did try it on every other browser available too. You still get many of the connector diagrams in the trouble shooting for each section so it's not a total loss and much of the diagnostics are great. Do I miss the wiring diagrams? Not much but I wouldn't pay the original $140 asking price for it either. It is possible to run IE6 and other browsers too but I didn't want to fool with it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.