Lost the key of my Jeep Compass 2012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Lost the key of my Jeep Compass 2012

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
medliushuo

Lost the key of my Jeep Compass 2012

Hi guys, I lost my original key of Jeep Compass 2012, and still have the spare one from dealership. I am worried someone picked up my key could steal my car. What should I do? Thanks!

medliushuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

If you just lost the key somewhere, I doubt a person finding it can match it to your Jeep. Of course, all they have to do is hit the panic button to find your Jeep, if you frequent the place you lost the key, and the finder has the patience and will to rip you off, you have something to worry about. Call your dealer and explain. Maybe they can change the code and basically render the lost key useless. I bet it will cost you a few bucks to reprogram your remaining key and car though, not to mention replacing the lost key. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
medliushuo

The dealer asks for almost $250 for a new key and reprogram. The key costs almost $200 at the dealer, but only $30 on line. I am thinking to order one online and cut it at some hardware store. Then, take it to the dealer to reprogram both. Wondering anyone have done this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
If you just lost the key somewhere, I doubt a person finding it can match it to your Jeep. Of course, all they have to do is hit the panic button to find your Jeep, if you frequent the place you lost the key, and the finder has the patience and will to rip you off, you have something to worry about. Call your dealer and explain. Maybe they can change the code and basically render the lost key useless. I bet it will cost you a few bucks to reprogram your remaining key and car though, not to mention replacing the lost key. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
medliushuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.