loss of power? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > loss of power?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

loss of power?

this is a bit hard to explain so please bear with me.

three times now my 07 patriot 4x4, 2.4L, CVT has done this. twice with me, once on the wife. basically what happens is from a dead stop, I give it gas but I get no almost power for almost 5 seconds but it does give more power than with the gas full off - its enough so you think all is well and continue to pull onto the road.. then it decides to take 95% of your power away. it does not respond to the gas pedal position at all (except give a bit less power when fully off the gas). I have let off and gotten back on the gas several times when this happens and its like youre not doing anything at all, it just putts along ignoring the gas peddle position (execpt for full off the gas, it does has less power then). it limits me to about 10 mph no matter what I do..it acts very much like "Throttle Reduction" has come on, but the red throttle reduction light does not light (and I know it works, I used to get it to come on all the time playing in snow). actually no dash indicators for ESP or anything light up and I have plenty of time when this happens to look at the dash for problem lights.

this has been on dry tar, and only has happened when turning left from a dead stop. pretty dangerous as it can happen when pulling out onto a busy street (although that hasnt happened yet thank God).

symptoms as far as I can tell:

1. can happen when cold or warm - twice its been within 90 seconds of starting (cold) when pulling out of my driveway but the 3rd time was after had been driven for several minutes (and was warm already).

2. happens (so far) only after turning left.

3. happens on dry tar

4. no indicator lights saying throttle reduction or ESP have been activated

5. ESP has always been full on

6. happens in both L and D

7. when the power does come back (always takes about 5 seconds and happens whether Ive held the gas to the floor or have been repeatedly stomping it) its fine. takes right off like nothing happened

anyone ever experienced this?

btw 1st problem with the patriot. but this ones a bit more than annoying, it could be dangerous.

Last edited by CharBroiled; 03-27-2008 at 09:36 AM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That sounds VERY similar to what some had complained about last year. We had thought that it was connected to the TSB for "Performance Enhancement" but didn't you have that done already? I'll look for the threads later tonight.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

when I had the 1st oil change done I asked them to check that I had the latest programming and they said it did, but the TSB programming may be a "only as needed" (or demanded), plus my patriot was built in aug 07 and I thought that TSB was only for MKs built before april 07. Ill have to double check that.

Ill recheck that thread but I didnt think what Im experiencing was like what was described in that thread. this is almost a complete loss of power and I though the TSB just made it a bit "snappier" when accelerating from a slow speed.

originally I thought it was just cold but this last time was with the temp guage at 1/4 and Id gone about a mile.

only happening on left turns it what confuses me unless its just coincidence. I wonder if the "anti skid/anti roll" ESP sensor is sticking on hard left turns (they were all 90 degree left turns) and it thinks Im skidding or something but I would think the ESP and throttle reduction lights would go on, and they definitely arent. Ive had plenty of time to look at the dash when this was happening.
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The thread that I'll try and find was where one of the members experienced a similar problem when pulling out of a gas station in to moving traffic. They also said that it was like throttle reduction kicking in and it happened more than once. I'll just have to look for it.

The TSB does just cover pre 04/07 build dates.

Unread 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ah ok that does sound exactly like what happened to me.. if it happened to him when pulling out of a gas station I assume he was turning like I was. interesting.

looks like Ill have to find an empty parking lot and do lots of sharp turns to see if I can reproduce this at will.

edit BTW I didnt say in the other posts but this lack of power continues for several seconds after the corner and going straight. I could see it reducing power on a corner but after Im going straight it should give full power again.. plus the throttle reduction/ESP light should come on. and its not like I was doing 90 in these corners, they have all been from dead stops.

Im looking for that thread too. was it here at JF? Ive tried searching here and in google but havent seen anything yet. maybe my "search fu" just sucks

Last edited by CharBroiled; 03-27-2008 at 12:51 PM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes, it's in here somewhere. It may have even had something to do with the steering angle sensor even though you don't have the display flashing.

If I'm looking for an older thread, I click on "View"; that will let you search by the most read. That may help you find it quicker.

Unread 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK Ill keep looking here.

I googled on "caliber loss of power" and found this.. the exact problem Im having.. unfortunately no one has found the answer yet..

someone called it the "pedal of death" very apt if it happens at the wrong time.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=1760

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=8079
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is the thread that I was looking for: Compass at the Dealer today.

And this you probably already found, note posts 9, 20 & 24. Jason31 final response on this issue is the last post:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/engine-stumble-acceleration-tsb-18-031-07-a-426464/

Unread 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

mine has done it only once in my over year of ownership, but that was enough!
edit: On another note, my Caliber "banged" for lack of a better word when I shifted into reverse leaving work today. I'm not sure what to think of it, as the whole car shook and the guy on the other side of the parking lot I think heard it as he looked at me really funny. It worked fine, I'm not sure what it could have been, as it'd been parked on a level slope and everything!
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

from what Ive been able to find from other posts elsewhere it seems that even people who had TSB 18-031-07 applied still get the "pedal of death." some have theorized that its humidity related. no one has been able to reproduce it at will, which is why is no one has been able to find out why, and some folks have had their MK at the dealer many times for this issue. no codes are thrown or stored.

it seems some folks have found that power returns when the RPMs get to about 4000, which takes 5-10 seconds of accelerating in "snail mode." I didnt notice what RPM mine has been at when power returns but if it happens again Ill be watching the tach. what some have said to do as a workaround when this happens: shift to neutral, rev the engine to 4000 or so, and let off the gas and shift back to drive and your power is back. I havent tried this but will, especially if a tracker trailer is about to mow me down and dont want to wait it out.

mostly its been an issue with CVTs but someone said it happened to their 5 speed.

seems it can happen going straight too. I thought it was maybe an error with the anti-roll/anti-skid sensor because its only happened to me when turning left but maybe not. only common thing is it always happens from a dead stop, never when already moving.

Ill post anything more I find as this can be dangerous, a few people have almost been hit when this has happened. I havent had the dealer look it ours yet because its a haul but Ill be bringing it in at some point.
Unread 03-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

If TSB TSB 18-031-07 was performed on the vehicle they should have put a modification label on the hood that states the software mod was performed.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

I have an 08 Patriot with the CVT. I have suffered from this problem 3 times this winter and am very worried when it will return. Twice it happened when turning on to the road- and with sudden power loss that really makes things dangerous. The other time I was driving up a hill, in the city but ESP did not kick in as there were no traction issues- it was going fine then suddenly the power dropped down and all I could do was crawl despite trying to push the accelerator. in a few seconds the power returned. I am due for my second oil change next week and will bring it up with the dealer then and keep you all posted as to the result.
charlimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
snood
2007 MK Compass 

I have similar problems with a manual transmission.
Unread 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlimc View Post
The other time I was driving up a hill, in the city but ESP did not kick in as there were no traction issues- it was going fine then suddenly the power dropped down and all I could do was crawl despite trying to push the accelerator. in a few seconds the power returned. I am due for my second oil change next week and will bring it up with the dealer then and keep you all posted as to the result.
this is the 1st time Ive heard of it happening while already moving. all other times Ive heard of have been from a dead stop.. usually with cold engine while turning are the most common times.

definitely let us know what they say.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.