Looking for some feedback on Patriot and Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking for some feedback on Patriot and Compass

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Looking for some feedback on Patriot and Compass

Hi guys and gals. First Time posting here on this side of the forum. I am usually harassing the liberty side.

I am looking into picking up a new toy for the wife. Have been looking at both the 2013 Patriot and Compass. Can you guys give me some input and opinions on on the differences. I need some arm twisting on which one to go with. Not looking to go to crazy with any mods aside from maybe throwing some extra lights on it.

Basic features I am looking for is automatic, satellite radio, off road package if I can actually find a 2013 with it in it and that's basically it. Other options I want are the fog lamps and remote start but from what I can read on the jeep website is that both models come standard with these. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The compass/patriots are almost exactly the same mechanically. The compass doesn't have quite as much clearance with the off road package vs the patriot, not sure why, but its about .5" shorter.

Fogs I believe are standard on every trim level now, but remote start is not, it is an option, and you have to either get the limited trim, or option it up with it. remote locking doors is standard on all but the patriot sport, but if you get the power group (power windows etc) you get them as well.

The big differences between any of them is the drive, you have 3 options, FWD, FDI, FDII.

FWD is just that, you can have it with a 2.0L, or 2.4L, stick or auto. Perfect for a runaround town car.
FDI - is an "all weather" car, It has awd, with the ability to "lock" the central diff with a 50/50 power split. You gain an inch of clearance over the FWD cars as well.
FDII - this is the off road package. It comes standard with 17" rims, tow hooks, skid plates, a pseudo low range gear (it has a lower final drive ratio), Hill decent control, brake lock differential, etc.

So it really depends on what your wife is going to do with it, but you mention in your post that you are looking for an off road package, that would be the FDII. That's what I have. You take a MPG hit for it... but if you plan on doing any off road with it. 100% worth it in my opinion.

other than having an auto, any specific needs she's looking for? does she have a preference on looks?

I would suggest a lift if you are gonna off road, so you can fit bigger wheels:
http://www.rocky-road.com/patriotsus.html
These are the tires I have, they have been excellent and way better than stock tires:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=AZEINT&cs=245

and you will need wheel spacers (5*4.5 bolt pattern, 1.25"), I haven't found a light bar I like yet, I was looking at an LED set that would fit down in the bumper, but haven't decided yet.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

For fun (because it's painfully slow at work today) I took a look at the options in your area. Looks like just about every compass/patriot has the remote start option, or a package that has the remote start in it,probably because you're in a cold climate, makes sense.

Here are the FDII vehicles I found:
This is the cheapest:
http://www.baysidechryslerjeepdodge....2077f1211f.htm

The rest of these are optioned up pretty high, but with 2014's coming off the lot, you should get a smoking deal on them:

http://www.baysidechryslerjeepdodge....3ab600a294.htm
http://www.starchryslerjeepdodge.net...8e5ca60d05.htm
http://www.baysidechryslerjeepdodge....1cf2dedf0f.htm
http://www.starchryslerjeepdodge.net...e436d2f13d.htm
http://www.starchryslerjeepdodge.net...e4d3978c9e.htm
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking at one of those links, I didn't realize I would loose so much on the MPG going with the FDII. I do not plan on doing any off reading with it aside from a little dirt/grassy field here and there up in the woods. I have my KK for the bigger stuff.

My main thing is the MPG (she does 65 mile round trip) through NYC everyday so need the numbers to be there. As far as the 4wd, my reasoning for that is the winters and the snow. It takes a significant snow fall for her work to close so want something suitable for that. Perhaps the FD-I would be fine for that.
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

if you're not off roading, probably want to go with the FDI then. I got mine to go off roading, so I got the FDII... If I was using it as a commuter I might even go with FWD, a lot of guys on another jeep patriot dot com website have FWD in the snow, and can give you a better assesment, but it does pretty well. I would say get better tires than the stock ones, especially the wrangler sra's they really stink.
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

I've had my 2013 Patriot for about three months now. It's got the Freedom 1 drive with the CVT automatic. So far I've had it thru 6" of snow without even having to engage the differential lock. It did fine even with the stock goodyear tires. I've also had it on muddy backroads with some pretty steep hills. I did engage the 4x4 lock that time, but it got up the hill with no problem.
The mpg have been around 25 mpg with mixed highway/in town miles. (mostly highway)

Mechanically... in the first 2400 miles so far, no problems at all.
PC12driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
if you're not off roading, probably want to go with the FDI then. I got mine to go off roading, so I got the FDII... If I was using it as a commuter I might even go with FWD, a lot of guys on another jeep patriot dot com website have FWD in the snow, and can give you a better assesment, but it does pretty well. I would say get better tires than the stock ones, especially the wrangler sra's they really stink.
Deff want something capable of AWD. Was originally looking at Subaru legacy, but when saw that patriot and compass are pretty comparable I was looking into them as well. I am quite familiar with the SRA's. still have them on the KK. Although I have had no problem traction wise in anything I have put it through, the tread ware is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC12driver
I've had my 2013 Patriot for about three months now. It's got the Freedom 1 drive with the CVT automatic. So far I've had it thru 6" of snow without even having to engage the differential lock. It did fine even with the stock goodyear tires. I've also had it on muddy backroads with some pretty steep hills. I did engage the 4x4 lock that time, but it got up the hill with no problem.
The mpg have been around 25 mpg with mixed highway/in town miles. (mostly highway)

Mechanically... in the first 2400 miles so far, no problems at all.
That's what I like to hear. I want something tht will blow through 6" with no hesitation. She has the potential of traveling in snow up to 10-12" before mayor closes her job so I want to be sure she is safe in those cases. I can be very satisfied with 25mpgs considering I think she averages about 14 in the KK.

How have you guys liked the CVT transmission? I have heard some dislikes for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

:chimes in: dont like the CVT at all. Would give someone elses left nut for a real automatic. Its sluggish as he11 and gets 16 mpg around town. This is on a 2011 FD2 Patriot. Dealer says the feel of my tranny is typical. Nothing wrong.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Take a long test drive before buying. Freeway and Stop and Go traffic.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I really like the CVT, and my wife can't tell the difference between it and a normal auto. (she would prefer a stick but cant have that and the FDII) so its a matter of personal preference. Rent one, see if your local car rental place has one you can rent and take it for 2 or three days.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

Fujative is right about the sluggishness, but I like the CVT on the highway...you don't feel the little 4 banger having to downshift every time it sees a hill. The FD1 works great and ~26 MPG on realworld highways.
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I can agree on highway. It is smooth. But with FD2 it runs around 3,000 rpm over 65. Its below 20 mph where I hate it.
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

The guys that are unhappy with the sluggish CVT, are your engines the 2.0, or the 2.4?
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.