Looking for a solution to upgrade FDI to FDII - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking for a solution to upgrade FDI to FDII

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #1
freelieqiang

Looking for a solution to upgrade FDI to FDII

Hello every one, is there any solutions to upgrade a FDI compass&patriot to FDII version?

As you know, all Jeep compass&patriot is only packaged FDI after exported to China mainland.

I know the FDII will have ALL of these features, but I want to know how to get that package, thanks all in advance~~

140-Ampere Alternator
4-Wheel Drive Off-Road Mode
Air Filtering
Brake Lock Differential
Engine Oil Cooler
Fog Lamps
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Full-Size Spare Tire
Hill Descent Control
Tow Hooks
Trailer Tow Wiring Harness
"Trail Rated" (TM) Badge
Transmission/Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate

freelieqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

Things you can add somewhat easily

140-Ampere Alternator
Air Filtering
Brake Lock Differential

Engine Oil Cooler
Fog Lamps
Full-Size Spare Tire
Hill Descent Control
Tow Hooks
"Trail Rated" (TM) Badge

I bolded the things you can't really add easily.

The FDI has brake Lock differential, however it is not as aggressive as the FDII models. You also won't get the Low Range offroad mode on the shifter. FDII gearing is substantially different (8:125 vs 4:125 or similar).

Having said that you can add the oil cooler skid plates, alternator, tow hooks ect after the fact.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
freelieqiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Things you can add somewhat easily

140-Ampere Alternator
Air Filtering
Brake Lock Differential

Engine Oil Cooler
Fog Lamps
Full-Size Spare Tire
Hill Descent Control
Tow Hooks
"Trail Rated" (TM) Badge

I bolded the things you can't really add easily.

The FDI has brake Lock differential, however it is not as aggressive as the FDII models. You also won't get the Low Range offroad mode on the shifter. FDII gearing is substantially different (8:125 vs 4:125 or similar).

Having said that you can add the oil cooler skid plates, alternator, tow hooks ect after the fact.
Thanks tyler. Yes I know, without FDII packed, I cannot get a "L" shifter which I am willing to add to my compass to improve its off-road capability.

from the description from wikipedia:

"Freedom Drive II uses the same hardware as the FDI system but adds a lower axle gear ratio in conjunction with the CVT to simulate the benefits of a 19:1 low-range transfer case for off-road use. This function is an alternate program in the CVT and is not a transfer case function. "

FDII has a lower axle gear ratio than FDI, and I guess the CVT transmitter is the same hardware but FDII version has an alternate program in the CVT.

In general, I guess the core part of the FDII package to improve the "L" shifter is the FDII version CVT which may include:
1) FDI CVT hardware
2) lower axle gear ratio(19:1)
3) an alternate program

Is that right?

If yes, can I get a channel to buy a FDII version CVT from the market? I will find vendor to try to install it in China. thanks again.
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
0jbrewer0
2012 MK Compass 

Is it really as simple as software and a new shifter consol...seems too good to be true
0jbrewer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0jbrewer0 View Post
Is it really as simple as software and a new shifter consol...seems too good to be true
Good luck trying to find someone to put it in the computers,the dealerships will not.
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Calibrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0jbrewer0 View Post
No, gear ratio is a hard part difference.
Calibrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

The long story short, other than the above mentioned mods I said were relatively easy, you will find it difficult if not impossible to add the FDII low range. If you are really valuing offroad performance, than a patriot or compass, shouldn't really be on your list. If you are however just wanting to make it a bit more capable, then doing the doable mods will make a difference, just not a huge one.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
freelieqiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
The long story short, other than the above mentioned mods I said were relatively easy, you will find it difficult if not impossible to add the FDII low range. If you are really valuing offroad performance, than a patriot or compass, shouldn't really be on your list. If you are however just wanting to make it a bit more capable, then doing the doable mods will make a difference, just not a huge one.
Yes, I have a 2009 compass with 2.5" lift, 245-70-16 BF AT and 6000 pound winch. I think it is fine with me until change to a wrangler.

In fact, I have a Jeep club with thousands of Jeep funs, part of them are compass or patriot. The compass and patirot owners do have expectation to upgrade their FDI to FDII. So I ask my question here to try to find a solution.

I know it is hard, but we are willing to try~~

111.png

Unread 02-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelieqiang View Post
The compass and patirot owners do have expectation to upgrade their FDI to FDII. So I ask my question here to try to find a solution.

In these days of computer controlled everything it just will not happen.You can import a FDII patriot for less then the cost of trying to go from FDI to FDII.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelieqiang View Post
The compass and patirot owners do have expectation to upgrade their FDI to FDII. So I ask my question here to try to find a solution.

There was a person on another Patriot forum that tried, IIRC they had a wrecked FDII swapped everything over to an FDI and with the help of a Jeep tech they still couldn't get it to work. I can't find the thread right now but I'm looking.

Seems like it would be easier to find a wrecked JK and figure out a way to swap the Patriot body on than try and switch to an FDI to FDII.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

in severely short terms, it's impossible to "swap" a FD-I to a FD-II. it can't be done.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

agreed, not possible with software requirements. And one thing I read in this thread, the FDII has an actual difference to give it the low range, it has a much lower final drive, so you would have to replace the actual hardware in the transmission (and possibly the rear differential) and if you couldn't update the software, you would just break everything. You're much better off importing them. You should contact the dealer, but unless you are a hardcore off roader, a lift and better tires makes a HUGE difference.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.