looking into the Patriot.. Towing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > looking into the Patriot.. Towing?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
jwrangler91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

looking into the Patriot.. Towing?

So I've always been a jeep guy. I have owned a wrangler, Cherokee, and a grand. I'm looking for better furl mileage and the patriot is an option for that. Problem is towing. I ride fourwheeles and snowmobiles quite a bit. I need to be able to tow 2200-2300 pounds comfortably. I know they have tow packages with oil coolers on them. Does anyone have experience towing with the Patriot. I think they are rated for 2000 but I'd like an opinion on whether or not this vehicle will work for me

jwrangler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

probably not, if you need to exceed the 2000lb towing weight. it will tow that amount, but because of its short wheel base, and power, and breaking, I personally wouldn't exceed it. at least not for long traffic heavy drives. I know a lot of people upgrade the coils to ones from a company in austrailia, that are a higher quality spring than the OEM. maybe if you did that, it would feel better. if the absolute max you are towing is 2300, and you have nothing in the jeep besides yourself? that might work too, but if you also load up the jeep with things and people, that's a big no (in my opinion).
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

nope, too small for you, can't tow what you need.

what's your budget? the new Cherokee gets comparable mileage to the outgoing MK platform, and can tow more. or maybe stick around and wait for the new renegade, although I imagine it will have a similar tow capacity to the MKs.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
jwrangler91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's a bummer. Im not sure what sure what to do. I relly don't want to spend more than 12 or 13 k...
jwrangler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

tbh, you're not going to want to tow with a 4cyl anyways. towing causes your mpg to just plummet, especially with a 4 cyl. some guys have gotten as low as 12 mpg while towing. your best bet is to find a small 5 or 6 cyl truck, or a diesel, that has more torque. what are your vehicle requirements? do you have to seat 5? or 2? do you go off roading with your vehicle? How often do you tow? once a month, once a week? you have a 99 grand now. do you have room and budget for 2 vehicles? Keep the grand for when you need to tow, and buy a patriot for when you don't?
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Chrispl57

If I'm not mistaken the newer libertys can tow up to 5000lbs & they have a bigger engine.

Last edited by Chrispl57; 03-05-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Chrispl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Charlie5280

I wouldn't recommend that. Like Chrispl57 said, definitely look to the Liberty.
Charlie5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

Just a note, the new renegade can tow up to 3000lbs.
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
tbh, you're not going to want to tow with a 4cyl anyways. towing causes your mpg to just plummet, especially with a 4 cyl. some guys have gotten as low as 12 mpg while towing. your best bet is to find a small 5 or 6 cyl truck, or a diesel, that has more torque. what are your vehicle requirements? do you have to seat 5? or 2? do you go off roading with your vehicle? How often do you tow? once a month, once a week? you have a 99 grand now. do you have room and budget for 2 vehicles? Keep the grand for when you need to tow, and buy a patriot for when you don't?
you don't need a diesel to tow 2,500 lbs...
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
you don't need a diesel to tow 2,500 lbs...
no, but a diesel gives a good mix of towing and fuel economy. Like an early libby diesel? that might be a good option. It got better gas mileage than the 6cyl and the 4cyl gas, and has a good tow rating.
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Things to consider;

- Actual trailer tow weight, also including internal vehicle weight and how Jeep cites these numbers in the manual regarding tow ratings
- If your trailer has brakes, often they have hydrolic brakes that can be of great benefit when compared to having to depend completely on vehicle brakes.
- Even if the total payload/tow weight exceeds ratings, you might, only might be safe towing if your trailer has brakes and you limit your distance; however, this is going to wear out your vehicle a lot faster. It's not recommended.
- Last of all, there is no standardized method of measuring tow ratings. All manufacturers have their own means of figuring their numbers, but whatever those may be they have yet to share. It's doubtful that they will agree on a standardized methodology anytime soon.

In the end, if you have to question it and have misgivings, don't do it. Find a vehicle more suited to your purpose. You can't have it all. That is, you can't have great tow capability and car-like mpg. Heck, the Patriot is a great example of this in that they were trying to make a car platform work like a Jeep, and in piling on all of the heavy duty mechanics dropped its efficiency. It may have long stood as an example of the best compact SUV with some level of real off-road capability at the cheapest initial price and with 'acceptable' efficiency, but when it comes down to it, most vehicles in the market segment are going to be bought by people more interested in going about their daily lives. This rarely includes off-roading anymore than seeing some snow and maybe a dirt road from time to time. Rav4's and Pilots have more comfort, amenities, and better gas mileage. So they've somewhat crushed Jeep. Thus we get the new "Cherokee" and can only wait and see what happens with that. Improved technology just may mean it can sustain the Jeep monicker while trying to wear so many hats; compact SUV, fuel efficient, off-road capable, higher tow rating, and so on.

The OP doesn't want to spend what 10 years ago would have gotten you a very nice Grand Cherokee (AKA a new Cherokee). So we're probably looking at other manufacturer options at this point. I just don't see ever being able to find an SUV that can do all that you want. My 4Runner with the V6 averages 21-24mpg on most trips I take, including mountains, but that's not towing. It doesn't take long to bring down those numbers drastically. A 2,000 lb. trailer+load will easily mean 16-17mpg on the highway. The V8 will do better when towing, but for everyday driving gets around 2-3 less mpg. This is, as all things, a contested subject in the Toyota community. V8 owners want to believe their engines get 'nearly' as good mileage as the V6, and V6 owners want to believe they have 'nearly' the power of a V8 with better gas mileage.

I think I've rambled enough for one day though. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt, or shaker even. I have too much technical knowledge and a lot less real world experience. In other words, I'm an internet mechanic.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
no, but a diesel gives a good mix of towing and fuel economy. Like an early libby diesel? that might be a good option. It got better gas mileage than the 6cyl and the 4cyl gas, and has a good tow rating.
true, but you're more likely to find bigfoot than a diesel liberty
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
true, but you're more likely to find bigfoot than a diesel liberty
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=3&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=4&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=5&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=7&Log=0

Now I'm off to go find bigfoot.
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

you take me too literally. of course they're out there, but occupy an abysmally small percentage of the market.
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
you take me too literally. of course they're out there, but occupy an abysmally small percentage of the market.
Very true. There are like 0 in arizona... I thought about buying one before my patriot, but I wasn't brave enough to buy it outside of the Phoenix area. I just did that for the first time buying from NJ... (that car gets here tuesday)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.